Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 AM
"Colin Brace"

Default compiz: mem leak?

Hi all,

My F8 box seemed really sluggish this morning, so I checked top. Compiz was using on the order of 1.2 GB resident RAM and another 1GB of swap memory, this after an uptime of around three days. See:

$ ps u - C compiz

USER****** PID %CPU %MEM*** VSZ** RSS TTY***** STAT START** TIME COMMAND
colin**** 2303* 8.1 58.9 1008016 1223272 ?**** RL** Nov30 323:22 compiz --sm-client-id default1 glib gconf

It hadn't consumed all the memory of this two gig box, so killing it was easy enough.

This is the second time in recent weeks I have encountered this. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Is it worth filing a report of this on bugzilla? It is not something I can reproduce at will; it just seems to kinda happen.

Details:

$ rpm -aq | grep compiz
compiz-gnome-0.6.2-3.fc8
compiz-0.6.2-3.fc8

$ rpm -aq | grep nvidia
kmod-nvidia-100.14.19-18.lvn8
kmod-nvidia-2.6.23.1-49.fc8-100.14.19-18.lvn8
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.19-4.lvn8

$ lspci | grep -i nvidia
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7100 GS (rev a1)

$ uame -r

2.6.23.1-49.fc8

Thanks.
--
*Colin Brace
*Amsterdam

Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Chris Jones

Hi,

Is it worth filing a report of this on bugzilla? It is not something I
can reproduce at will; it just seems to kinda happen.

This is not a problem with compiz, but the nvidia driver. So no point
filling a bug against compiz

See

bottom line - nvidia cliams the bug will be fixed in the next driver
release. In the meantime nothing you can do other than restart every now
and then (I have the same issue, and just logout and in again now and then).

Chris

Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Karl Larsen

Chris Jones wrote:

Hi,

Is it worth filing a report of this on bugzilla? It is not something
I can reproduce at will; it just seems to kinda happen.

This is not a problem with compiz, but the nvidia driver. So no point
filling a bug against compiz

See

bottom line - nvidia cliams the bug will be fixed in the next driver
release. In the meantime nothing you can do other than restart every
now and then (I have the same issue, and just logout and in again now
and then).

Chris

It is nice to see that Nvidia is aware of the problem on Linux and
is spending money to fix the Linux problem.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM