Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 AM
William Case

Default OT How to get National Public Radio FM on Rythmbox

Hi -- particularly to my American friends.

Does anybody know how to get National Public Radio (NPR) as a feed on
Rythmbox. I am new to using Radio + computer and I would like to add a
NPR station to my list of stations. But I can't seem to find an
Internet feed. Maybe it doesn't exist, but if someone knows how to get
any (North Easteren US -- I'm in Ottawa, Canada) FM station I would
appreciate it.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-22-2008, 04:06 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 23:56 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi -- particularly to my American friends.
>
> Does anybody know how to get National Public Radio (NPR) as a feed on
> Rythmbox. I am new to using Radio + computer and I would like to add a
> NPR station to my list of stations. But I can't seem to find an
> Internet feed. Maybe it doesn't exist, but if someone knows how to get
> any (North Easteren US -- I'm in Ottawa, Canada) FM station I would
> appreciate it.
----
the local (Phoenix, AZ) has a feed that works on Linux...

www.kjzz.org

you could probably find something closer like Detroit (perhaps less
hops)

Craig

Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 23:56 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi -- particularly to my American friends.
>
> Does anybody know how to get National Public Radio (NPR) as a feed on
> Rythmbox. I am new to using Radio + computer and I would like to add a
> NPR station to my list of stations. But I can't seem to find an
> Internet feed. Maybe it doesn't exist, but if someone knows how to get
> any (North Easteren US -- I'm in Ottawa, Canada) FM station I would
> appreciate it.

http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html

There's also a list of NPR stations at http://www.npr.org/stations/.
You could stream any of those.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 06-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Max Pyziur

Hi -- particularly to my American friends.

Does anybody know how to get National Public Radio (NPR) as a feed on
Rythmbox. I am new to using Radio + computer and I would like to add a
NPR station to my list of stations. But I can't seem to find an
Internet feed. Maybe it doesn't exist, but if someone knows how to get
any (North Easteren US -- I'm in Ottawa, Canada) FM station I would
appreciate it.

I think that this is controlled by the local stations which receive NPR
feeds. For New York City NPR feeds, you can find the Internet radio links
on WNYC's home page (http://www.nyc.org/) in the left column.

Copy the link (right-click -> Copy Link Address) in the web browser, and
then in Rhythmbox Music -> New Internet Radio Station and past the link in
the Dialog box.

Relatedly, you can find European Internet radio stations here:
http://www.listenlive.eu/

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-22-2008, 11:35 AM
fred smith

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:56:40PM -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi -- particularly to my American friends.
>
> Does anybody know how to get National Public Radio (NPR) as a feed on
> Rythmbox. I am new to using Radio + computer and I would like to add a
> NPR station to my list of stations. But I can't seem to find an
> Internet feed. Maybe it doesn't exist, but if someone knows how to get
> any (North Easteren US -- I'm in Ottawa, Canada) FM station I would
> appreciate it.

I'm not aware of a direct feed that is only NPR programming. But that
doesn't mean there isn't one. You may want to check npr.org for a
listing of stations.

Locally (in Boston area) there's wgbh.org and wbur.org, both of which
carry some NPR programming.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:46 PM
William Case

Hi all and thanks;

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 05:21 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 23:56 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Hi -- particularly to my American friends.
> >
> > Does anybody know how to get National Public Radio (NPR) as a feed on
> > Rythmbox. I am new to using Radio + computer and I would like to add a
> > NPR station to my list of stations. But I can't seem to find an
> > Internet feed. Maybe it doesn't exist, but if someone knows how to get
> > any (North Easteren US -- I'm in Ottawa, Canada) FM station I would
> > appreciate it.
>
> http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html
>
> There's also a list of NPR stations at http://www.npr.org/stations/.
> You could stream any of those.

I had gone to http://www.npr.org/stations/ and tried border cities, but
none of them seemed what I remembered. A lot of their own programming.

I had visited my sister in Maine a couple of years ago and she had some
(I don't know which) NPR station streaming to her computer. It was
always on low in the background. It was perfect for listening while
working.

Loved the car guys.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Bob Goodwin USA

Hi all and thanks;

http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/Show/online.html

Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM
fred smith

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 09:46:43AM -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi all and thanks;
>
> On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 05:21 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 23:56 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > > Hi -- particularly to my American friends.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know how to get National Public Radio (NPR) as a feed on
> > > Rythmbox. I am new to using Radio + computer and I would like to add a
> > > NPR station to my list of stations. But I can't seem to find an
> > > Internet feed. Maybe it doesn't exist, but if someone knows how to get
> > > any (North Easteren US -- I'm in Ottawa, Canada) FM station I would
> > > appreciate it.
> >
> > http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html
> >
> > There's also a list of NPR stations at http://www.npr.org/stations/.
> > You could stream any of those.
>
> I had gone to http://www.npr.org/stations/ and tried border cities, but
> none of them seemed what I remembered. A lot of their own programming.
>
> I had visited my sister in Maine a couple of years ago and she had some
> (I don't know which) NPR station streaming to her computer. It was
> always on low in the background. It was perfect for listening while
> working.
>
> Loved the car guys.

Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers!

They originate here in Boston on WBUR, but I imagine a lot of other
stations carry them.

I think the best thing to do is ask her for the URL she listens to.

You can also find a bunch of links by googling for "maine public radio".
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 06-22-2008, 05:08 PM