Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM
"dondi_2006"

Default FC8 + GeForce 6150 + Samsung SM226BW monitor, anyone?

Greetings,

next week I'm supposed to demo and possibly install Fedora Core 8 on a
system which has an Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard with a GeForce 6150/
nForce 430 Chipset, connected with a DVI cable to the SM226BW monitor.

Does anybody already use this combination, and can report how it
works?

I understand that everything should work, that is that FC8 on that
motherboard/chipset should be able to drive that monitor via DVI at
its native resolution: the monitor is 1680x1050, the GeForce 6150 max
resolution is declared as 1920x1440 on the VGA port so I assume it the
DVI resolution isn't smaller and FC8 can handle it.

Am I correct? Also, are there any particular config tricks to make X /
FC8 use this HW at its maximum capabilities?

Thank you in advance for any feedback,

Old 12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Karl Larsen

dondi_2006 wrote:

Greetings,

next week I'm supposed to demo and possibly install Fedora Core 8 on a
system which has an Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard with a GeForce 6150/
nForce 430 Chipset, connected with a DVI cable to the SM226BW monitor.

Does anybody already use this combination, and can report how it
works?

I understand that everything should work, that is that FC8 on that
motherboard/chipset should be able to drive that monitor via DVI at
its native resolution: the monitor is 1680x1050, the GeForce 6150 max
resolution is declared as 1920x1440 on the VGA port so I assume it the
DVI resolution isn't smaller and FC8 can handle it.

Am I correct? Also, are there any particular config tricks to make X /
FC8 use this HW at its maximum capabilities?

Thank you in advance for any feedback,

You will have initial problems with the Nvidia VGA device. You need
to have a fix for this hardware which can now be yum installed. I use a
bash file from the Nvidia web site. Otherwise it should be a snap to
install.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:27:50 +0100
"dondi_2006" <dondi_2006@libero.it> wrote:

> Am I correct? Also, are there any particular config tricks to make X /
> FC8 use this HW at its maximum capabilities?

You'll want to install the nvidia binary drivers. I use the ones
from http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/, just install the livna F8 repo
and then yum install kmod-nvidia-96xx

Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 AM
"dondi_2006"

> dondi_2006 wrote:

> You will have initial problems with the Nvidia VGA device. You need
> to have a fix for this hardware which can now be yum installed. I use a
> bash file from the Nvidia web site. Otherwise it should be a snap to
> install.

Thanks, but (also answering to the other reply) if you read my message
what I am asking is a different question.

You and Tom both answered to "are there Linux drivers for that board, and how I install them and FC8 on it?" whereas what I asked is:

1) admittedly OT: what is the maximum DVI (not VGA) resolution of that board/chipset, regardless of OS? Can it drive a 1680x1050 LCD monitor? I asked here because this is not clear from the online specs I've found

2) Regardless of how to install them, are the drivers for that chipset
(and the X shipped with FC8) able to drive its DVI output at 1680x1050, that is are they able to
fully use that specific monitor?

sorry if this wasn't clear enough from my original post!

D.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Karl Larsen

dondi_2006 wrote:

dondi_2006 wrote:

[...]

I didn't understand it the first and this time :-)
I have no answer to whatever the question is.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Karl Larsen

Karl Larsen wrote:

dondi_2006 wrote:

dondi_2006 wrote:

[...]

I looked at the stuff in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800" "1280x720"
"1152x864"

"1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

This is what the Nvidia system can produce it appears and it does not
include what you want.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI