Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Les Mikesell

Default How to boot from floppy to install Fedora 9 from CD?

cjakeman wrote:

Hi,
I've downloaded Fedora 9 and burned onto 6 CDs in ISO format hoping to install on an old PC in place of WinME. I find that the PC won't boot from the CD drive - probably too old.

How can I proceed? Do I need boot.img? Where can I get it from?

The boot.img you need for a 2.6 kernel has never fit on a floppy. There
are several other approaches, the simplest being a floppy boot that can
proceed to boot the CD. This was the first thing that popped up in a
search but it should work regardless of the OS:

http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC_that_can't_boot_from_CD

Or, if the PC will boot from a USB flash device you can put the boot
image on that (but if it won't boot from CD you are probably out of luck
there too).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-21-2008, 05:45 PM
"Tom Browder"

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> cjakeman wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I've downloaded Fedora 9 and burned onto 6 CDs in ISO format hoping to
>> install on an old PC in place of WinME. I find that the PC won't boot from
>> the CD drive - probably too old.

A machine that old will probably not give a good Fedora experience.
You might want to look into something like minix for it.

See www.minix3.org

Or look into one of the lightweight Linux distributions.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida
USA

Old 06-22-2008, 06:29 AM
cjakeman

Hi Les and Tom,

Thanks for your advice.

I've tried http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC_that_can't_boot_from_CD [1] but couldn't make it load from the CD.

Although 7 years old, the PC is 1.3GHz and 256MB so it should cope. However, I only want it to run a webserver, so perhaps I should go for a smaller distro.

Chris

Links:
------
[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC_that_can't_boot_from_CD

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=272883&topic_id=58502&forum= 10#forumpost272883
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame cjakeman@bigfoot.com.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:49 AM

cjakeman wrote:

Although 7 years old, the PC is 1.3GHz and 256MB so it should cope.
However, I only want it to run a webserver, so perhaps I should go
for a smaller distro.

i have moved 'old mail' of this system, so i can not check,
have you given thought to upgrading your bios?

a newer bios should give you both cd and usb boot ability.
then, depending on how you run web server, you may need to
increase memory.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:57 AM
Les Mikesell

cjakeman wrote:

Hi Les and Tom,

Thanks for your advice.

I've tried http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC_that_can't_boot_from_CD [1] but couldn't make it load from the CD.

Although 7 years old, the PC is 1.3GHz and 256MB so it should cope. However, I only want it to run a webserver, so perhaps I should go for a smaller distro.

There are other floppy boot loaders around that you could try, but I'd
recommend Centos 3.x as a better match for the machine. It should have
a floppy boot image and security/bugfix updates are still continuing.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 08:29 +0200, cjakeman wrote:
> Although 7 years old, the PC is 1.3GHz and 256MB so it should cope.

I'd be surprised that a PC that fast was built before booting from
CD-ROMs was a supported feature.

What have you done to try and boot from the CD?

Have you gone through the BIOS and looked for boot options? Perhaps a
different CD drive will work better? (Boot drive order, configuring IDE
ports to recognise that a CD is connected to one, etc.)

Have you burnt the disc in a manner that it can be booted from? (Try it
on another PC, you can boot it without upsetting anything on the hard
drive, simply don't start installing.)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
cjakeman

Hi Tim,

> Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 08:29 +0200, cjakeman wrote:
>
> Have you burnt the disc in a manner that it can be booted from? (Try it on another PC, you can boot it without upsetting anything on the hard drive, simply don't start installing.)

Did exactly that and discovered that copying an ISO image to a CD is not enough to achieve booting. Now downloaded the free CDBurnerXP (which also runs on Vista) and this will burn an ISO image and automatically include the boot sector.

I've also scrounged a beefier PC, so I'm making progress.

Thanks for your advice (and also to Tom, Les and g),

Chris

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=275018&topic_id=58502&forum= 10#forumpost275018
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame cjakeman@bigfoot.com.

Thu Jul 10 20:30:02 2008
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:07:57 +0200
To: fedora-list@redhat.com
From: =?UTF-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1jQnJvb20gKFROV2VzdFRleCk=? <no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org>
Subject: Intel Soundmax integrated adapter No Sound
Sender: fedora-list-bounces@redhat.com

Installed F9 and there is no sound. It worked with F8.

System has a Soundmax integrated adapter that showed as snd-intel8x0 on F8. It is not detected at all now.
Looked at modprobe.conf. I don't understand what I see.
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0 options snd-card-0 index=0 install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || : remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

What would restore sound?

Robert McBroom

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=275453&topic_id=59051&forum= 10#forumpost275453
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame Darkenergy@bellsouth.net.

Thu Jul 10 20:30:02 2008
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:08:05 +0200
To: fedora-list@redhat.com
From: =?UTF-8?B?QW5kcmUgUm9iYXRpbm8gKGFyb2JhdGlubyk=? <no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org>
Subject: Presto server not updating
Sender: fedora-list-bounces@redhat.com

Anyone know what's going on with the Presto server? The F9 updates from the 6th and yesterday aren't there, and an email I sent yesterday to Jonathan Dieter regarding this hasn't been answered yet.

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=276286&topic_id=59193&forum= 10#forumpost276286
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame andre@bwh.harvard.edu.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 19:07 +0200, cjakeman wrote:
> Did exactly that and discovered that copying an ISO image to a CD is
> not enough to achieve booting. Now downloaded the free CDBurnerXP
> (which also runs on Vista) and this will burn an ISO image and
> automatically include the boot sector.

That's a FAQ... You don't burn the ISO file onto a disc as a file, you
use the ISO file as your template for burning a disc. It contains the
entire contents of the disc, as it needs to be written to the disc.

You use your "burn from ISO", or "burn from image" feature.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.