Old 06-21-2008, 03:43 PM
William Case

Default Can't get flash-plugin working in FF3 ??

Hi;

The subject of media has been something I have avoided, so I am a newbie
at understanding what I might be doing wrong.

I am running F9 -x86_64 and FireFox3. Yum shows me flash-plugin (Adobe
Flash Plugin 9.0.124.0 arch i386) is installed. Firefox 'aboutlugin'
shows me flash-plugin is NOT installed. After download and installation
I re-booted just to sure and no joy.

What could I be doing wrong? Where should I look? Is there an arch
mis-match?

Dumb question: Is there a Linux substitute for Adobe Flash?

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Antonio Olivares

> The subject of media has been something I have avoided, so
> I am a newbie
> at understanding what I might be doing wrong.
>
> I am running F9 -x86_64 and FireFox3. Yum shows me
> flash-plugin (Adobe
> Flash Plugin 9.0.124.0 arch i386) is installed. Firefox
> 'aboutlugin'
> shows me flash-plugin is NOT installed. After download and
> installation
> I re-booted just to sure and no joy.
>
> What could I be doing wrong? Where should I look? Is there
> an arch
> mis-match?
>
> Dumb question: Is there a Linux substitute for Adobe Flash?
There gnash, and swdef? or something like that. I installed gnash, it is ok for some stuff, but not for the whole enchilada.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM
"Christopher A. Williams"

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 11:43 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> The subject of media has been something I have avoided, so I am a newbie
> at understanding what I might be doing wrong.
>
> I am running F9 -x86_64 and FireFox3. Yum shows me flash-plugin (Adobe
> Flash Plugin 9.0.124.0 arch i386) is installed. Firefox 'aboutlugin'
> shows me flash-plugin is NOT installed. After download and installation
> I re-booted just to sure and no joy.
>
> What could I be doing wrong? Where should I look? Is there an arch
> mis-match?
>
> Dumb question: Is there a Linux substitute for Adobe Flash?

Indeed there are substitutes and alternatives, but IHMO / experience,
none of them are as good as Flash 9.

The way I got this to work reliably on 64-bit F9 was to read and follow
the instructions on Section 10.5.1 of the F9 Release Notes. You can even
copy / paste the specific commands to complete the task if you like.

For the sake of convenience, the F9 US English Release Notes are found
at:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris

Old 06-21-2008, 04:03 PM
David Boles

William Case wrote:

Hi;

The subject of media has been something I have avoided, so I am a newbie
at understanding what I might be doing wrong.

I am running F9 -x86_64 and FireFox3. Yum shows me flash-plugin (Adobe
Flash Plugin 9.0.124.0 arch i386) is installed. Firefox 'aboutlugin'
shows me flash-plugin is NOT installed. After download and installation
I re-booted just to sure and no joy.

What could I be doing wrong? Where should I look? Is there an arch
mis-match?

Dumb question: Is there a Linux substitute for Adobe Flash?

This works for Flash and x_64

10.3.1. Enabling Flash Plugin
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Desktop.html#sn-KDE-Desktop

--

David

Old 06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
William Case

Thanks Chris;

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 09:56 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 11:43 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > The subject of media has been something I have avoided, so I am a newbie
> > at understanding what I might be doing wrong.
> >
> > I am running F9 -x86_64 and FireFox3. Yum shows me flash-plugin (Adobe
> > Flash Plugin 9.0.124.0 arch i386) is installed. Firefox 'aboutlugin'
> > shows me flash-plugin is NOT installed. After download and installation
> > I re-booted just to sure and no joy.
> >
> > What could I be doing wrong? Where should I look? Is there an arch
> > mis-match?
> >
> > Dumb question: Is there a Linux substitute for Adobe Flash?
>
> Indeed there are substitutes and alternatives, but IHMO / experience,
> none of them are as good as Flash 9.
>
> The way I got this to work reliably on 64-bit F9 was to read and follow
> the instructions on Section 10.5.1 of the F9 Release Notes. You can even
> copy / paste the specific commands to complete the task if you like.
>
> For the sake of convenience, the F9 US English Release Notes are found
> at:
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/
>
> Hope that helps!

´╗┐Worked like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think of going to the
release notes. I guess I just assumed Flash should automagically
download and install.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2