Old 06-21-2008, 12:32 PM
David Boles

Default Downloading everything under .../Everything .../Fedora

Frank Murphy wrote:

What is the best method to download everything under
the ../Everything .../Fedora from one of the mirrors wget?
waht options

Need the F9 stuff for testing.

Why would you want to download 'everything'? To fill up space on your hard
drive? ;-)

Seriously. That would be in the neighborhood of 9+ gigs of packages. Why not
just install what you want to test?

--

David

Old 06-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 21 June 2008 13:32:05 David Boles wrote:
> Frank Murphy wrote:
> > What is the best method to download everything under
> > the ../Everything .../Fedora from one of the mirrors wget?
> > waht options
> >
> > Need the F9 stuff for testing.
>
> Why would you want to download 'everything'? To fill up space on your hard
> drive? ;-)
>
> Seriously. That would be in the neighborhood of 9+ gigs of packages. Why
> not just install what you want to test?

I'm sure, too, that we were warned off about downloading everything. I can't
remember the details, but I think it went along the lines of 'some things
will conflict, and some applications will have library problems'. Of course,
that may be mis-remembered, but it was certainly a strong warning off.

Anne

Old 06-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Frank Murphy

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 08:32 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> Frank Murphy wrote:
> > What is the best method to download everything under
> > the ../Everything .../Fedora from one of the mirrors wget?
> > waht options
> >
> > Need the F9 stuff for testing.
>

> Why would you want to download 'everything'? To fill up space on your hard
> drive? ;-)
>
> Seriously. That would be in the neighborhood of 9+ gigs of packages. Why not
> just install what you want to test?

Basically at the moment I know it's not *usb* or *mouse* is my
problem, everything else I need to test one package at a time

The upside is I may eventually be able to use them as a local repo,

Frank

Old 06-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Jonathan Dieter

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 13:44 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> Basically at the moment I know it's not *usb* or *mouse* is my
> problem, everything else I need to test one package at a time
>
> The upside is I may eventually be able to use them as a local repo,

Use rsync. It's the most reliable way of downloading *everything* (and
keeping it updated). Check out
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring#How_can_someone_make_a_private_mirror.3F

Jonathan

Old 06-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Howard Wilkinson

Frank Murphy wrote:

What is the best method to download everything under
the ../Everything .../Fedora from one of the mirrors wget?
waht options

Need the F9 stuff for testing.

Why would you want to download 'everything'? To fill up space on your hard
drive? ;-)

Seriously. That would be in the neighborhood of 9+ gigs of packages. Why not
just install what you want to test?

Basically at the moment I know it's not *usb* or *mouse* is my
problem, everything else I need to test one package at a time

The upside is I may eventually be able to use them as a local repo,

Frank

Try rsync from one of the mirrors. We use this to keep local copies of
all release images!

Howard.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:21 PM
David Boles

Frank Murphy wrote:

What is the best method to download everything under
the ../Everything .../Fedora from one of the mirrors wget?
waht options

Need the F9 stuff for testing.

Why would you want to download 'everything'? To fill up space on your hard
drive? ;-)

Seriously. That would be in the neighborhood of 9+ gigs of packages. Why not
just install what you want to test?

Basically at the moment I know it's not *usb* or *mouse* is my
problem, everything else I need to test one package at a time

The upside is I may eventually be able to use them as a local repo,

Well that is your choice of course.

But do you really need all of the office suites? All of GNOME? Or KDE? Or
Apache? All of the language packages? ;-)

And Anne is correct here. Fedora has said before that some things just don't
play together well.

If you are looking for a local repo of packages that you can install on
several machines why not just set yum to keep the package(s) that you download
and use them on the other machines instead of downloading all of these
packages? Most of which you will not use anyway.

--

David

Old 06-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Frank Murphy

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 16:15 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 13:44 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > Basically at the moment I know it's not *usb* or *mouse* is my
> > problem, everything else I need to test one package at a time
> >
> > The upside is I may eventually be able to use them as a local repo,
>
> Use rsync. It's the most reliable way of downloading *everything* (and
> keeping it updated). Check out
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring#How_can_someone_make_a_private_mirror.3F
>
> Jonathan

Just installed grsync to help me understand whats going on.
Thanks ppl.

Frank

Old 06-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Frank Murphy

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 09:21 -0400, David Boles wrote:

> But do you really need all of the office suites? All of GNOME? Or KDE? Or
> Apache? All of the language packages? ;-)
>
> And Anne is correct here. Fedora has said before that some things just don't
> play together well.
>
> If you are looking for a local repo of packages that you can install on
> several machines why not just set yum to keep the package(s) that you download
> and use them on the other machines instead of downloading all of these
> packages? Most of which you will not use anyway.

Honestly don't need everything, but have a number of different Fedora
boxes all F9 (excl rawhides)

I would need X,Gnome, and the fedora base.

Show me how tp yum local.repo that on my centos5x server, and I'll
probably go that way. el google wasn't much help as it's talking about
using dvd images etc.. whebn doing locals.

Frank

Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 PM
David Boles

Frank Murphy wrote:

But do you really need all of the office suites? All of GNOME? Or KDE? Or
Apache? All of the language packages? ;-)

And Anne is correct here. Fedora has said before that some things just don't
play together well.

If you are looking for a local repo of packages that you can install on
several machines why not just set yum to keep the package(s) that you download
and use them on the other machines instead of downloading all of these
packages? Most of which you will not use anyway.

Honestly don't need everything, but have a number of different Fedora
boxes all F9 (excl rawhides)

I would need X,Gnome, and the fedora base.

Show me how tp yum local.repo that on my centos5x server, and I'll
probably go that way. el google wasn't much help as it's talking about
using dvd images etc.. whebn doing locals.

http://www.howtoforge.com/creating_a_local_yum_repository_centos

or question #11 here

http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

As for keeping the downloaded packages?

change keepcache=0 to keepcache=1 in the yum.conf file

--

David

Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Frank Murphy

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 09:42 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/creating_a_local_yum_repository_centos
>
> or question #11 here
>
> http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
>
> As for keeping the downloaded packages?
>
> change keepcache=0 to keepcache=1 in the yum.conf file

That's the dogs dinner

Frank