-   -   OT: need javascript/DOM help (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/110608-ot-need-javascript-dom-help.html)

Mike Wright 06-20-2008 09:09 PM

OT: need javascript/DOM help

Hi Listizens,

I'm working on a project but am absolutely stymied and need outside
help. Both konqueror and firefox exhibit the same behavior so I don't
think this is a browser bug.

I've checked the xhtml1-strict.dtd and it says that anchor tags support
the core attributes which include "id"; however, the following html
doesn't produce the expected results.

Are there any javascript/DOM gurus out there who can tell me why the

Sorry for the OT/wrong forum post, but I find the collective knowledge
of the fedora users to be one of the best out there... and the most helpful.

TIA,
Mike Wright :m)

Below is the html being tested.

=====================

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

<a id='a'></a>

<script type='text/javascript'><!--//
var d = document;
var m = d.getElementById('m');
var a = d.getElementById('a');
var p = d.getElementById('p');
var v = d.getElementById('v');
var b = '<br />';
m.innerHTML = a+b+p+b+v+b;
//--></script>

"Bassel Safadi" 06-20-2008 10:08 PM

OT: need javascript/DOM help

* *"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<a * id='a'></a>

<script type='text/_javascript_'><!--//

*var d = document;

*var m = d.getElementById('m');

*var a = d.getElementById('a');

*var p = d.getElementById('p');

*var v = d.getElementById('v');

*var b = '<br />';

*m.innerHTML = a+b+p+b+v+b;

//--></script>

will it's simple ,
what do you want to get from the getElementById(')?
I mean if you're trying to know what kind of element is it, just to process it in some how, then you will not get a result from just using the getElemntByid thing for example:

d.getElementById('p');
will return in Firefox: [object HTMLParagraphElement]
in IE Mac: [object P]

why don't you just specify what you want to get back from it let's say you may use:

*var a = d.getElementById('a').innerText;
by the way adding href="" to the anchor tag will let* var a = d.getElementById('a'); return the href it self, if you still need an output that looks like:

[object HTMLanchorElement]

tell me and will find a work around for you...