FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:41 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default Real player doesn't work on F9 under KDE -- Solved

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 00:05 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 02:55 +0200, Bassel Safadi wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> > <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't have desktop effects (you mean Compiz etc. right?).
> > Anyway,
> > here's the full dope:
> >
> > [poc@bree:S1] realplay
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.ram?ad=1&ct=50
> > [1] 22691
> > [poc@bree:S1] Opening ALSA PCM device default
> > Opening ALSA PCM device default
> > The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System
> > error.
> > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> >
> > The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter
> > attributes)'.
> > (Details: serial 43 error_code 8 request_code 140
> > minor_code 13)
> > (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported
> > asynchronously;
> > that is, you will receive the error a while after
> > causing it.
> > To debug your program, run it with the --sync
> > command line
> > option to change this behavior. You can then get a
> > meaningful
> > backtrace from your debugger if you break on the
> > gdk_x_error() function.)
> >
> > [1]+ Done realplay
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.ram?ad=1
> >
> >
> > poc
> >
> > --
> > fedora-list mailing list
> > fedora-list@redhat.com
> > To unsubscribe:
> > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
> >
> >
> >
> > Ok,
> > first let's ensure that XVideo isn't used by any other program when
> > this crash happens.
> > if that doesn't help and you can open real player, maybe from gnome,
> > disabling XVideo well probably fix your problem, in realplayer go to
> > Tools>Preferences>Hardware and then Disable XVideo.
>
> OK, I was able to run realplayer with no arguments and change the
> preferences to turn off XVideo. The only sound options are Alsa and OSS,
> so I left it on Alsa. Now when I run a clip (same one as before) I get
> video but the sound is basically white noise. After a few seconds the
> sound settles into an irritating repetitive stutter and the whole
> realplayer UI freezes solid and has to be killed. Even after killing it
> the stutter continues until I kill the pulseaudio demon.

I just found this http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup which has
a lot of useful info. In particular, it says:

Real Player 10 cannot be used with either Esound (note) or
PulseAudio at this time. However, you can either use Real Player
8, or use MPlayer with the RealPlayer codecs.

I had no success with the Mplayer codecs (I copied them
to /usr/lib64/codecs), even running mplayer from the command line on
a .ram file, so I tried the legacy RP8 player. It's only for i386 and
the installer won't run because of missing libraries.

So in a moment of insanity I configured the realplay preferences to use
OSS instead of Alsa, and lo and behold it worked! The only flaw is that
the volume controls have no effect, even when running under pasuspender.

That was from the command line. From FF3 it still doesn't do anything
(though my FF preferences say to use realplay for .ram) but at least I
can run it in the standalone player. The Xine plugin claims to
support .ram but it isn't working at the moment. Anyway that's another
story.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-20-2008, 05:17 PM
stan
 
Default Real player doesn't work on F9 under KDE -- Solved

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

So in a moment of insanity I configured the realplay preferences to use
OSS instead of Alsa, and lo and behold it worked! The only flaw is that
the volume controls have no effect, even when running under pasuspender.

<snip>


If you run OSS on any current linux OS you are really running oss emulation
under alsa. So there is something interfering with direct alsa use that
isn't interfering
with alsa OSS emulation. Have you tried turning off the esd sound
server as well as

pulse?
esdctl off
Not sure of the equivalent under KDE, ksound?
Maybe then alsa will work and you will get your volume control back.

poc




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default Real player doesn't work on F9 under KDE -- Solved

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 10:17 -0700, stan wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > So in a moment of insanity I configured the realplay preferences to use
> > OSS instead of Alsa, and lo and behold it worked! The only flaw is that
> > the volume controls have no effect, even when running under pasuspender.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> If you run OSS on any current linux OS you are really running oss emulation
> under alsa. So there is something interfering with direct alsa use that
> isn't interfering
> with alsa OSS emulation. Have you tried turning off the esd sound
> server as well as
> pulse?
> esdctl off

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I did *not* turn off pulse, its's still running.
All I did was change the references in realplay to use OSS.

> Not sure of the equivalent under KDE, ksound?

I guess the equivalent of esd is aRts, but I'm not sure what the
equivalent of esdctl would be.

In any case I'll try this under Gnome and report.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-20-2008, 06:37 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default Real player doesn't work on F9 under KDE -- Solved

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 14:01 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 10:17 -0700, stan wrote:
> > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > So in a moment of insanity I configured the realplay preferences to use
> > > OSS instead of Alsa, and lo and behold it worked! The only flaw is that
> > > the volume controls have no effect, even when running under pasuspender.
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > If you run OSS on any current linux OS you are really running oss emulation
> > under alsa. So there is something interfering with direct alsa use that
> > isn't interfering
> > with alsa OSS emulation. Have you tried turning off the esd sound
> > server as well as
> > pulse?
> > esdctl off
>
> Perhaps I wasn't clear. I did *not* turn off pulse, its's still running.
> All I did was change the references in realplay to use OSS.
>
> > Not sure of the equivalent under KDE, ksound?
>
> I guess the equivalent of esd is aRts, but I'm not sure what the
> equivalent of esdctl would be.
>
> In any case I'll try this under Gnome and report.

Oops, I see I don't have esd, just pulseaudio-esound-compat, so I can't
do that test.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org