Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM
craigni

Default Stoopid but pressing backup question

Thanks to all who answered my access F7 from F8 system question. Unfortunately, since I am in the habit of unplugging all of my drives but one to fresh install an OS, I don't think I can access the systems from one another. But the responses were highly informative.

Here's the question I must ask (and I cringe while I do, because I've been searching the web for weeks for a good response, and really have not come up with something yet, yet feel that I should have.)

I want to back up my F8 system so restoring it will be as easy as possible in the event of a major system screw up (which over the years, I have done many times.) I do not want to use a commercial product on the Linux side. I've been using dump/restore, which does not work well for a full system restore. In my searches on the web over the last couple of weeks, I read that dump was deprecated, and why. But in the past, when I tried to use a simple tar, I haven't had luck in restoring the entire system. So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have a good script that backs up a F8 (I would think F7 would be highly similar here) system so that a *full system restore* is relatively straightforward?

2. Can you access individual files in it as you would restore -if ?

3. Would the strategy of the restore be something like boot from the rescue disk, change to the system disk, and then tar -xf ... ?

4. What exactly *are* the root directories that must be backed up? If SELinux was set to enforcing, would it conflict with the restore?

Thanks for entertaining this very stoopid question. I just don't have a good simple way to back up and restore my Linux systems, and it is the last remaining obstacle to pretty much completely switching over to Linux as my primary OS (except of course, the 10 minutes a day I need to access iTunes, but that's another, and very annoying story.)

Many, many thanks,
Craig

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=224257&topic_id=48792&forum= 10#forumpost224257
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame craignied@gmail.com.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Rick Stevens

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 10:15 +0100, craigni wrote:
> Thanks to all who answered my access F7 from F8 system question. Unfortunately, since I am in the habit of unplugging all of my drives but one to fresh install an OS, I don't think I can access the systems from one another. But the responses were highly informative.
>
> Here's the question I must ask (and I cringe while I do, because I've been searching the web for weeks for a good response, and really have not come up with something yet, yet feel that I should have.)
>
> I want to back up my F8 system so restoring it will be as easy as possible in the event of a major system screw up (which over the years, I have done many times.) I do not want to use a commercial product on the Linux side. I've been using dump/restore, which does not work well for a full system restore. In my searches on the web over the last couple of weeks, I read that dump was deprecated, and why. But in the past, when I tried to use a simple tar, I haven't had luck in restoring the entire system. So here are my questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone have a good script that backs up a F8 (I would think F7 would be highly similar here) system so that a *full system restore* is relatively straightforward?
>
> 2. Can you access individual files in it as you would restore -if ?
>
> 3. Would the strategy of the restore be something like boot from the rescue disk, change to the system disk, and then tar -xf ... ?
>
> 4. What exactly *are* the root directories that must be backed up? If SELinux was set to enforcing, would it conflict with the restore?
>
> Thanks for entertaining this very stoopid question. I just don't have a good simple way to back up and restore my Linux systems, and it is the last remaining obstacle to pretty much completely switching over to Linux as my primary OS (except of course, the 10 minutes a day I need to access iTunes, but that's another, and very annoying story.)

It rather depends on what your backup media is. I've used cpio
successfully in the past. Amanda is also popular and works. Bacula
(http://www.bacula.org/) is also very popular.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Ed Greshko

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 10:15 +0100, craigni wrote:
>> Thanks to all who answered my access F7 from F8 system question.
>> Unfortunately, since I am in the habit of unplugging all of my drives
>> but one to fresh install an OS, I don't think I can access the systems
>> from one another. But the responses were highly informative.
>>
>> Here's the question I must ask (and I cringe while I do, because I've
>> been searching the web for weeks for a good response, and really have
>> not come up with something yet, yet feel that I should have.)
>>
>> I want to back up my F8 system so restoring it will be as easy as
>> possible in the event of a major system screw up (which over the years,
>> I have done many times.) I do not want to use a commercial product on
>> the Linux side. I've been using dump/restore, which does not work well
>> for a full system restore. In my searches on the web over the last
>> couple of weeks, I read that dump was deprecated, and why. But in the
>> past, when I tried to use a simple tar, I haven't had luck in restoring
>> the entire system. So here are my questions:
>>
>> 1. Does anyone have a good script that backs up a F8 (I would think F7
>> would be highly similar here) system so that a *full system restore* is
>> relatively straightforward?
>>
>> 2. Can you access individual files in it as you would restore -if ?
>>
>> 3. Would the strategy of the restore be something like boot from the
>> rescue disk, change to the system disk, and then tar -xf ... ?
>>
>> 4. What exactly *are* the root directories that must be backed up? If
>> SELinux was set to enforcing, would it conflict with the restore?
>>
>> Thanks for entertaining this very stoopid question. I just don't have
>> a good simple way to back up and restore my Linux systems, and it is
>> the last remaining obstacle to pretty much completely switching over to
>> Linux as my primary OS (except of course, the 10 minutes a day I need
>> to access iTunes, but that's another, and very annoying story.)
>
> It rather depends on what your backup media is. I've used cpio
> successfully in the past. Amanda is also popular and works. Bacula
> (http://www.bacula.org/) is also very popular.

While this and other things, are rattling around in the OPs head, one should
also investigate and understand LVM snapshots. From a HOWTO that outlined
the important bits....

"A wonderful facility provided by LVM is 'snapshots'. This allows the
administrator to create a new block device which presents an exact copy of a
logical volume, frozen at some point in time. Typically this would be used
when some batch processing, a backup for instance, needs to be performed on
the logical volume, but you don't want to halt a live system that is
changing the data."

Old 12-14-2007, 09:30 AM
craigni

I usually know acronyms, but what is an OP, especially as I am apparently one?

I'm getting enamored of rsync to the point where I think that's the backup strategy I'd like to use, with sequential backups of /home to capture user data changes.

So now I'm thinking, OK, I rsync / except /proc, I have that on an external disk, my system disk crashes, how quickly can I get a new disk up as my system disk... and that's where I become mildly confused. I imagine that I'll reinstall a minimal F8 system with the boot sector, then rsync the backup directory on the external backup disk back to the system disk, and hopefully all will be well.

*But* there are the mysterious boot files...

If I mount my old F7 disk for grins

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/f7

I get this stuff

ls /mnt/f7
config-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 lost+found
config-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 System.map-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
grub System.map-2.6.22.9-91.fc7
initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7

So I imagine there are files, I expect in the boot sector, that are important to backup and restore.

So my current questions are:
What are those files?
How do I back them up?
How do I restore them?
Does this strategy of restore the boot sector, mount the external disk with the rsync'd system, then rsync back to the new system disk, make sense?

Many TIA,
Craig

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=227237&topic_id=48792&forum= 10#forumpost227237
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame craignied@gmail.com.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:26 AM
"mike cloaked"

craigni wrote:

>I usually know acronyms, but what is an OP, especially as I am
apparently one?

Original Poster

--
mike

Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Chris G

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 11:30:53AM +0100, craigni wrote:
> I usually know acronyms, but what is an OP, especially as I am apparently one?

Original Poster, i.e. the person who started the thread.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 AM
craigni

...also...

Does anyone have a good list of excludes for Fedora 8? I'm slogging through rsyncing, then stopping when it hangs, then excluding directories, but it's sloooow progress.

...and...

Why is it hanging for lib64/security/*.so ?
Is excluding those files going to make restoring the system break?

Many TIA,
Criag

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=227299&topic_id=48792&forum= 10#forumpost227299
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame craignied@gmail.com.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:39 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

craigni wrote:

> I get this stuff
>
> ls /mnt/f7
> config-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 lost+found
> config-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 System.map-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
> grub System.map-2.6.22.9-91.fc7
> initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
> initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7
>
> So I imagine there are files, I expect in the boot sector, that
> are important to backup and restore.
>
> So my current questions are:
> What are those files?
> How do I back them up?
> How do I restore them?
> Does this strategy of restore the boot sector, mount the external
> disk with the rsync'd system, then rsync back to the new system
> disk, make sense?
>
> Many TIA,
> Craig

lost+found - This is a directory that is created with the file
system. It is used when repairing a file system, and does not need
to be backed up.

grub - This is a directory that has all the files Grub uses to boot
to the Grub menu, and load the selected OS.

The config-*, initrd-*, System.map-*, and vmlinuz-* are the
different kernels, and the files that go with them.

Your backup plan should work. But you may want to consider using
grub-install to restore the boot sector, and rebuild the /boot/grub
directory. This will insure that the Grub first stage knows where to
find the next stage.

Mikkel

Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 PM
"Dean S. Messing"

craigni wrote:
<snip
: I'm getting enamored of rsync to the point where I think that's the
: backup strategy I'd like to use
<snip>

Since you are interested in using rsync for backups, you might profit
by having a look at "rnsapshot" which uses rsync at its heart but with
a nice way to configure what and how often you want to backed up.

<http://www.rsnapshot.org/>

An alternative to this is another rsync-based backup system:

<http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/dirvish_backup/introduction.html>

These both use the hardlink facilities of rsync to only backup what's
changed, yet keep your entire directory structure intact for each
backup (by using multiple hard links to the same data).

There exist files for which rsync, as used above, is not a good
choice. These are typically large files to which you make frequent
small changes. The above packages will make a new copy of the
_entire_ file each time you make a change. If the file is, say, 20GB,
well, you see the problem. The virtual disk files used by VMware are
examples of such files. Every time I merely open a "Word Doc" M$ sees
fit to update the doc file. The VMware virtual disk therefore sees a
(tiny) change.

In this case there's <http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/>. I've not
used this so can't comment first-hand on it, but it is supposed to
solve the "big file"/"small changes" problem.

Dean

Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Les Mikesell

Dean S. Messing wrote:

craigni wrote:
<snip
: I'm getting enamored of rsync to the point where I think that's the
: backup strategy I'd like to use
<snip>

Since you are interested in using rsync for backups, you might profit
by having a look at "rnsapshot" which uses rsync at its heart but with
a nice way to configure what and how often you want to backed up.

<http://www.rsnapshot.org/>

An alternative to this is another rsync-based backup system:

<http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/dirvish_backup/introduction.html>

These both use the hardlink facilities of rsync to only backup what's
changed, yet keep your entire directory structure intact for each
backup (by using multiple hard links to the same data).

Or if you have more than one machine to back up, backuppc
(http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) will compress and
hardlink all files with identical content whether from the same source
or not.

I think the OP was looking for an easy way to do a complete restore,
though. One of the easiest would be to download the bootable iso for
clonezilla live (http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/clonezilla-live)
which will save compressed disk/partition images to local/nfs/smb/ssh
locations and knows enough about linux and ntfs filesystems to only save
the used portions. On restore, it will re-create the partions, copy back
the contents and make the disk bootable for you.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com