Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Daniel Kirsten

Default FC 9 Installation IOError: Input/output error (2)

Hallo,

there is a photo under

http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kirsten/pics/fedora.jpg

I try to install Fedora 9 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi2550
using a DVD. I use text bases installation due to Radeon HD2700.

When the installation program installs the rpm-packages from the DVD,
it stops after some hundred packages and gives a long python-related
error message ending by

IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Then, the installation terminates...

Is there any solution or workaround for this issue?

Best regards, Daniel

Old 06-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Jonathan Dieter

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 16:40 +0200, Daniel Kirsten wrote:
> Hallo,
<snip>
> When the installation program installs the rpm-packages from the DVD,
> it stops after some hundred packages and gives a long python-related
> error message ending by
>
> IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
>
> Then, the installation terminates...

This looks like you're either having read errors off of the DVD or write
errors to the drive. You could try switching to the second or third (or
possibly fourth, I forget which) terminal where the error output is. It
should at least tell you whether it's a read error or a write error.

Jonathan

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 AM
"Kayvan A. Sylvan"

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 07:54:28PM +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 16:40 +0200, Daniel Kirsten wrote:
> > Hallo,
> <snip>
> > When the installation program installs the rpm-packages from the DVD,
> > it stops after some hundred packages and gives a long python-related
> > error message ending by
> >
> > IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
> >
> > Then, the installation terminates...
>
> This looks like you're either having read errors off of the DVD or write
> errors to the drive.

I've seen this with a bad DVD (media or drive) in the past.