Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Rahul Tidke

Default ssh_exchange_identification

Hello All,

My ssh is not working today; every time I try to login to our web server
I get following error message. I tried to login using both remote server
host name and IP address, I observed that IP address of our web server
has been changed so I removed all the previous entries for the web
server in my /root/.ssh/known_hosts file and tried once again, but still
getting the same error message. What could be the possible reason behind
this error message? Is it my configuration or remote web server
configuration that is causing the problem?

ssh_exchange_identification : Connection closed by remote host

What is the meaning of this error, I could not find this on SSH mailing
list and documentation. Could not get satisfactory answer form Google
search also.

Thank you.

Regards
Rahul.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:39 AM
"Łukasz Jagiełło"

2008/6/20 Rahul Tidke <rahul@excelize.com>:
> My ssh is not working today; every time I try to login to our web server I
> get following error message. I tried to login using both remote server host
> name and IP address, I observed that IP address of our web server has been
> changed so I removed all the previous entries for the web server in my
> /root/.ssh/known_hosts file and tried once again, but still getting the same
> error message. What could be the possible reason behind this error message?
> Is it my configuration or remote web server configuration that is causing
> the problem?
>
> ssh_exchange_identification : Connection closed by remote host
>
> What is the meaning of this error, I could not find this on SSH mailing list
> and documentation. Could not get satisfactory answer form Google search
> also.

Your IP isn't at allow list (/etc/hosts.allow) for SSHD.

--
Łukasz Jagiełło
lukasz<at>jagiello<dot>org

Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Rahul Tidke

Łukasz Jagiełło wrote:

My ssh is not working today; every time I try to login to our web server I
get following error message. I tried to login using both remote server host
name and IP address, I observed that IP address of our web server has been
changed so I removed all the previous entries for the web server in my
/root/.ssh/known_hosts file and tried once again, but still getting the same
error message. What could be the possible reason behind this error message?
Is it my configuration or remote web server configuration that is causing
the problem?

ssh_exchange_identification : Connection closed by remote host

What is the meaning of this error, I could not find this on SSH mailing list
and documentation. Could not get satisfactory answer form Google search
also.

Your IP isn't at allow list (/etc/hosts.allow) for SSHD.

SSH verbose mode gives me following messages:

debug1: Connection established.
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: loaded 3 keys

Shall I take it for granted that I am not on the allow
(/etc/hosts.allow) list.

Regards,
Rahul.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 15:55 +0530, Rahul Tidke wrote:
> Łukasz Jagiełło wrote:
> > 2008/6/20 Rahul Tidke <rahul@excelize.com>:
> >> My ssh is not working today; every time I try to login to our web server I
> >> get following error message. I tried to login using both remote server host
> >> name and IP address, I observed that IP address of our web server has been
> >> changed so I removed all the previous entries for the web server in my
> >> /root/.ssh/known_hosts file and tried once again, but still getting the same
> >> error message. What could be the possible reason behind this error message?
> >> Is it my configuration or remote web server configuration that is causing
> >> the problem?
> >>
> >> ssh_exchange_identification : Connection closed by remote host
> >>
> >> What is the meaning of this error, I could not find this on SSH mailing list
> >> and documentation. Could not get satisfactory answer form Google search
> >> also.
> >
> > Your IP isn't at allow list (/etc/hosts.allow) for SSHD.
> >

> SSH verbose mode gives me following messages:
>
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
> debug1: loaded 3 keys
>
> Shall I take it for granted that I am not on the allow
> (/etc/hosts.allow) list.

/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny are not necessarily being used by
the server. It's more likely that they are filtering on a firewall rule
and not letting your IP get to their port 22. You need to talk to the
server admin. IF they changed their IP they may have changed other stuff
or simply forgotten about SSH.

poc