Old 12-03-2007, 07:03 AM
"Mike A. Harris"

Default Evolution icons disappear after reboot

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

Almost all of the icons in Evolution -- all, I think except the red
circle with a white 'X' in it for Cancel -- disappear after a reboot and
are replaced by red 'X's, indicating (I think) a missing icon. The
problem can be cured by reinstalling evolution: i.e.
rpm --install --force evolution-2.12.1-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm

which cure lasts till the system is rebooted. It may (or may not be)
important that I'm running selinux.

Any ideas?

Are you using the GNOME desktop, or KDE? When I was using KDE, I had
various random applications lose their icons after they got updated,
most notably firefox, thunderbird. It stayed over reboots also, and to
get the icon images back, I had to remove the icons from the launcher
area and re-add them again. They sometimes would disappear again when
rebooting also.

I haven't encountered that in GNOME yet though.

--
Mike A. Harris

Come and join us on the #fedora8 IRC help forum on irc.freenode.net

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Jonathan Ryshpan

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 03:03 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > Almost all of the icons in Evolution -- all, I think except the red
> > circle with a white 'X' in it for Cancel -- disappear after a reboot and
> > are replaced by red 'X's, indicating (I think) a missing icon. The
> > problem can be cured by reinstalling evolution: i.e.
> > rpm --install --force evolution-2.12.1-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm
> > which cure lasts till the system is rebooted. It may (or may not be)
> > important that I'm running selinux.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Are you using the GNOME desktop, or KDE? When I was using KDE, I had
> various random applications lose their icons after they got updated,
> most notably firefox, thunderbird. It stayed over reboots also, and to
> get the icon images back, I had to remove the icons from the launcher
> area and re-add them again. They sometimes would disappear again when
> rebooting also.
>
> I haven't encountered that in GNOME yet though.

Pardon, what is the "launcher area"?

I've had a number of problems with F8, on which I run KDE:

o Xscreensaver only blacks out a part of the screen. The xscreensaver
documentation says that this is probably because the X-Window System is
reporting the screen size wrong, at least to the call that xscreensaver
uses.

o The font size in the Evolution message info window is always very
small, probably 9 point. gnome-appearance-properties, which purports to
control such things has no effect, though it does control the Evolution
Composer and MailReader windows.

o There are moderately frequent flashes (I don't know how else to
describe them) towards the upper left corner of the screen.

o The Mem pane of the System Guard *Applet* (not the full application)
reports errors on all of its sensors.

o There have been a large number of Selinux problems (33 at last
report), which went away (i.e. no *more* were reported) after I followed
the advice in the Selinux Troubleshoot to "touch /.autorelabel; reboot",
after which no new Selinux errors have been reported, but also the
Evolution icon problems started.

I tried switching to Kubuntu, but it's even worse. Evolution is
unusable because the data server kept crashing as soon as I opened the
Contacts pane.

Foo - jon

Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
"Mike A. Harris"

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

[...]

A descriptive rather than definitive term I used to refer to the
location where new application launchers show up when you choose "Add
new Launcher to panel" from gnome panel menu entries. I'm not sure what
the official GNOME-speak is for that area, but it is the area of the
taskbar which Windows refers to as the "Quicklaunch area" just to the
right of the start menu, or in this case the Fedora menus (or GNOME foot
menu if you prefer).

o There are moderately frequent flashes (I don't know how else to
describe them) towards the upper left corner of the screen.

Wow, I thought I was the only one. In Fedora 7/x86_64 while looking at
other areas of the screen, numerous times I thought my eyes were playing
tricks on me, as it appeared like something very quickly flashed in the
upper left hand corner of the screen. It happened randomly, and while
often, it was seldom enough that I couldn't just sit and watch that area
long enough for it to happen so I could get a clue as to what exactly
was doing it. I do not remember if I was using KDE or GNOME at the
time, or if it happened in both. Didn't find any references on google
nor in bugzilla, and those in IRC thought I must be having an episode or
something. ;o)

You are proof that I am sane! Muahahahha... ;o)

Anyhow, I didn't notice such behaviour in Fedora 8 up until the last
week or so, and I've been using GNOME only so far in F8. I've only
spotted the quick flash a small number of times this last week, and much
less often than I noticed in F7, so I haven't bothered to try and figure
out what it could be yet.

Perhaps if others are experiencing this, they will be willing to speak
up now that we have come forward, knowing they wont be called a nutjob! LOL

Before someone asks... I never reported this issue in bugzilla, because
there is no indication that it is actually a bug, or even a problem at
all per se., combined with the fact I could not easily reproduce it or
provide any useful info that could lead to reproduction, so it'd be a
rather useless possibly non-bug bug report. ;o)

I'll report back here if I can deduce anything further about it though.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Jonathan Ryshpan

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 23:53 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Almost all of the icons in Evolution -- all, I think except the red
> circle with a white 'X' in it for Cancel -- disappear after a reboot and
> are replaced by red 'X's, indicating (I think) a missing icon. The
> problem can be cured by reinstalling evolution: i.e.
> rpm --install --force evolution-2.12.1-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm
> which cure lasts till the system is rebooted. It may (or may not be)
> important that I'm running selinux.

What's even stranger, the problem can be cured by running evolution from
a command line (shell) rather than from the desktop. It stays fixed
till the next reboot. It's also interesting that the selinux
permissions (ls -lZ) are not changed by the rpm installation.

Foo - jon