Old 06-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Default Desktop effects, workspaces, and the workspace switcher

I have a 7x3 arrangement of workspaces.

I just tried turning on desktop effects. Immediately I notice that the
switcher no longer displays an iconic representation of windows in
other workspaces. Is there a way to restore this behaviour?

I'm also a little confused about worksapces on a cube - it seems to be
that each individual workspace has a total of 7 desktop panes. This seems
rather peculiar to me, as a cube has 6 faces (or it did last time I
looked). So I now seems to have about 147 desktop panes, which is
rather more than I need - I think i should cut down on my workspace
count :-).

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here for help. I did try System->Help first,
but a help window opens, and then immediately fades, which isn't
exacttly helpful! Is there a configuration for desktop effects?
(apart from the turn-on, workspace-on-a-cube, wobbly windows bit).

Where is the documentation on all these phenomenona?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 07:29 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> I have a 7x3 arrangement of workspaces.
>
> I just tried turning on desktop effects. Immediately I notice that the
> switcher no longer displays an iconic representation of windows in
> other workspaces. Is there a way to restore this behaviour?
>
> I'm also a little confused about worksapces on a cube - it seems to be
> that each individual workspace has a total of 7 desktop panes. This seems
> rather peculiar to me, as a cube has 6 faces (or it did last time I
> looked). So I now seems to have about 147 desktop panes, which is
> rather more than I need - I think i should cut down on my workspace
> count :-).
>
> Anyway, I thought I'd ask here for help. I did try System->Help first,
> but a help window opens, and then immediately fades, which isn't
> exacttly helpful! Is there a configuration for desktop effects?
> (apart from the turn-on, workspace-on-a-cube, wobbly windows bit).
>
> Where is the documentation on all these phenomenona?

KDE or Gnome?

poc

Old 06-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Colin Paul Adams

Patrick> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 07:29 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> I have a 7x3 arrangement of workspaces.
>>
>> I just tried turning on desktop effects. Immediately I notice
>> that the switcher no longer displays an iconic representation
>> of windows in other workspaces. Is there a way to restore this
>> behaviour?
>>
>> I'm also a little confused about worksapces on a cube - it
>> seems to be that each individual workspace has a total of 7
>> desktop panes. This seems rather peculiar to me, as a cube has
>> 6 faces (or it did last time I looked). So I now seems to have
>> about 147 desktop panes, which is rather more than I need - I
>> think i should cut down on my workspace count :-).
>>
>> Anyway, I thought I'd ask here for help. I did try System->Help
>> first, but a help window opens, and then immediately fades,
>> which isn't exacttly helpful! Is there a configuration for
>> desktop effects? (apart from the turn-on, workspace-on-a-cube,
>> wobbly windows bit).
>>
>> Where is the documentation on all these phenomenona?

Patrick> KDE or Gnome?

GNOME.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 06-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Brian Mury

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 07:29 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> I have a 7x3 arrangement of workspaces.
>
> I just tried turning on desktop effects. Immediately I notice that the
> switcher no longer displays an iconic representation of windows in
> other workspaces. Is there a way to restore this behaviour?
>
> I'm also a little confused about worksapces on a cube - it seems to be
> that each individual workspace has a total of 7 desktop panes. This seems

Did you log out and back in after turning on desktop effects? I saw the
same behaviour until I did that, then everything worked as expected.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Brian> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 07:29 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> I have a 7x3 arrangement of workspaces.
>>
>> I just tried turning on desktop effects. Immediately I notice
>> that the switcher no longer displays an iconic representation
>> of windows in other workspaces. Is there a way to restore this
>> behaviour?
>>
>> I'm also a little confused about worksapces on a cube - it
>> seems to be that each individual workspace has a total of 7
>> desktop panes. This seems

Brian> Did you log out and back in after turning on desktop

Brian> effects? I saw the same behaviour until I did that, then
Brian> everything worked as expected.

No, I hadn't.

So now I have tried that. Immediately I see only one workspace, with
all the windows unmovable and obscuring the GNOME menu bar.

So I close some of the windows, so I can disable desktop effects. All
is working now. I then try re-enbaling desktop effects, but the system
r3eports that it is unable to do so.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire