Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   Samba/Fedora 8 problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/11007-samba-fedora-8-problems.html)

Michael Eager 12-03-2007 06:22 AM

Samba/Fedora 8 problems
 
I'm having problems getting Samba to work on Fedora 8.
Perhaps someone has an idea.

Here's the simple smb.conf I'm using:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = users
wins support = yes

[work]
comment = Work Area
path = /export/work
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
readonly = no
printable = no
browseable = yes

SELinux is disabled, no firewall.

When I run "smbclient -L localhost -U%" I get the following:

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
work Disk Work Area
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba 3.0.27a-0.fc8)

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

I would expect the workgroup name and server name to be listed.

findsmb reports Samba servers on other systems, but not localhost.

I've tried with "security = share" and without the "wins" line.
I've also tried a working smb.conf from a FC 5 system.
I created a user with smbpasswd. None of this makes any difference.

I noticed that nmbd is started by /etc/init.d/smb on the FC 5
system, but that F8 doesn't. Not sure what that means.

Any suggestions?


--
Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Craig White 12-03-2007 01:45 PM

Samba/Fedora 8 problems
 
On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 23:22 -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
> I'm having problems getting Samba to work on Fedora 8.
> Perhaps someone has an idea.
>
> Here's the simple smb.conf I'm using:
>
> [global]
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> security = users
> wins support = yes
>
> [work]
> comment = Work Area
> path = /export/work
> public = yes
> guest ok = yes
> writable = yes
> readonly = no
> printable = no
> browseable = yes
>
> SELinux is disabled, no firewall.
>
> When I run "smbclient -L localhost -U%" I get the following:
>
> Sharename Type Comment
> --------- ---- -------
> work Disk Work Area
> IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba 3.0.27a-0.fc8)
>
> Server Comment
> --------- -------
>
> Workgroup Master
> --------- -------
>
> I would expect the workgroup name and server name to be listed.
>
> findsmb reports Samba servers on other systems, but not localhost.
>
> I've tried with "security = share" and without the "wins" line.
> I've also tried a working smb.conf from a FC 5 system.
> I created a user with smbpasswd. None of this makes any difference.
>
> I noticed that nmbd is started by /etc/init.d/smb on the FC 5
> system, but that F8 doesn't. Not sure what that means.
>
> Any suggestions?
----
shouldn't that be

security = user

?

smbclient -L $HOSTNAME
where $HOSTNAME is the name of your computer though localhost or ip
should work. You don't need to authenticate (a user)

what errors do you get when you do...

testparm -s

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

"Paul Smith" 12-03-2007 02:48 PM

Samba/Fedora 8 problems
 
On Dec 3, 2007 2:45 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> > I'm having problems getting Samba to work on Fedora 8.
> > Perhaps someone has an idea.
> >
> > Here's the simple smb.conf I'm using:
> >
> > [global]
> > workgroup = WORKGROUP
> > security = users
> > wins support = yes
> >
> > [work]
> > comment = Work Area
> > path = /export/work
> > public = yes
> > guest ok = yes
> > writable = yes
> > readonly = no
> > printable = no
> > browseable = yes
> >
> > SELinux is disabled, no firewall.
> >
> > When I run "smbclient -L localhost -U%" I get the following:
> >
> > Sharename Type Comment
> > --------- ---- -------
> > work Disk Work Area
> > IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba 3.0.27a-0.fc8)
> >
> > Server Comment
> > --------- -------
> >
> > Workgroup Master
> > --------- -------
> >
> > I would expect the workgroup name and server name to be listed.
> >
> > findsmb reports Samba servers on other systems, but not localhost.
> >
> > I've tried with "security = share" and without the "wins" line.
> > I've also tried a working smb.conf from a FC 5 system.
> > I created a user with smbpasswd. None of this makes any difference.
> >
> > I noticed that nmbd is started by /etc/init.d/smb on the FC 5
> > system, but that F8 doesn't. Not sure what that means.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> ----
> shouldn't that be
>
> security = user
>
> ?
>
> smbclient -L $HOSTNAME
> where $HOSTNAME is the name of your computer though localhost or ip
> should work. You don't need to authenticate (a user)
>
> what errors do you get when you do...
>
> testparm -s

I am not sure whether this is related:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=408771

Paul

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Michael Eager 12-03-2007 06:04 PM

Samba/Fedora 8 problems
 
Paul Smith wrote:

On Dec 3, 2007 2:45 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

I'm having problems getting Samba to work on Fedora 8.
Perhaps someone has an idea.

Here's the simple smb.conf I'm using:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = users
wins support = yes

[work]
comment = Work Area
path = /export/work
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
readonly = no
printable = no
browseable = yes

SELinux is disabled, no firewall.

When I run "smbclient -L localhost -U%" I get the following:

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
work Disk Work Area
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba 3.0.27a-0.fc8)

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

I would expect the workgroup name and server name to be listed.

findsmb reports Samba servers on other systems, but not localhost.

I've tried with "security = share" and without the "wins" line.
I've also tried a working smb.conf from a FC 5 system.
I created a user with smbpasswd. None of this makes any difference.

I noticed that nmbd is started by /etc/init.d/smb on the FC 5
system, but that F8 doesn't. Not sure what that means.

Any suggestions?

----
shouldn't that be

security = user


Yes, fixed it. Doesn't make any difference.



?

smbclient -L $HOSTNAME
where $HOSTNAME is the name of your computer though localhost or ip
should work. You don't need to authenticate (a user)


See above.


what errors do you get when you do...

testparm -s


None (after correcting the typo).

Apparently, another typo seems to be the problem:
"readonly" should be "read only". system-config-samba
complained about it where testparm didn't.

Thanks for the help!


--
Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Michael Eager 12-03-2007 06:12 PM

Samba/Fedora 8 problems
 
Paul Smith wrote:


https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=408771


Apparently, this is the clue, not typos in the smb.conf.
system-config-samba starts nmbd. /etc/init.d/smb doesn't
start nmbd in F8. I need to do "chkconfig nmb on".

--
Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.