Old 06-19-2008, 10:07 PM
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)"

Default Somewhat OT, R/W access to UFS from recovery CD

I have some machines which were left by someone
who left the company some years ago. They ware loaded
with Solaris 7 and have UFS file systems. They
also have SCSI disks and my Solaris 10 boot CD does
not have the correct drivers, thus it cannot see the
disk.

I have tried booting from the System Rescue CD and
the UBUNTU cd and the FC8 recovery CD. Two of the
three can access the UFS file system, but only in
read only mode. I get a message saying that UFS
support was only compiled in read only mode.

Does anyone know of a Linux boot from CD which has
the UFS read/write compiled in? I just need to tweek
the password file so I can get into these boxes.
I would rather not have to build a custom kernel and
then build a bootable CD from it.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

I have some machines which were left by someone

who left the company some years ago. *They ware loaded

with Solaris 7 and have UFS file systems. *They

also have SCSI disks and my Solaris 10 boot CD does

not have the correct drivers, thus it cannot see the

disk.

I have tried booting from the System Rescue CD and

the UBUNTU cd and the FC8 recovery CD. *Two of the

three can access the UFS file system, but only in

read only mode. *I get a message saying that UFS

support was only compiled in read only mode.

Does anyone know of a Linux boot from CD which has

the UFS read/write compiled in? *I just need to tweek

the password file so I can get into these boxes.

I would rather not have to build a custom kernel and

then build a bootable CD from it.

Bob Styma

Phoenix, AZ, USA

mounting a UFS in read write mode is not safe (still experimental), some people lost their data when trying to write on a UFS hard drive, that's why it's not enabled by default in any destro's kernel.

add to that the ufs-linux project news are four years old: (http://ufs-linux.sourceforge.net/)

you may visit these posts:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu-help/115396-edit-kernel-support-ufs-read-write.html

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bsd-17/mounting-a-ufs-partition-in-linux-34664/
http://julipedia.blogspot.com/2004/11/linuxs-ufs-support.html

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mount_UFS_partitions

Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Alan Cox

> Does anyone know of a Linux boot from CD which has
> the UFS read/write compiled in? I just need to tweek
> the password file so I can get into these boxes.
> I would rather not have to build a custom kernel and
> then build a bootable CD from it.

Linux doesn't really support UFS read/write. You might get a lot further
on this one with a FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD box I suspect as they also use
UFS

Old 06-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Antonio Olivares

> > Does anyone know of a Linux boot from CD which has
> > the UFS read/write compiled in? I just need to tweek
> > the password file so I can get into these boxes.
> > I would rather not have to build a custom kernel and
> > then build a bootable CD from it.
>
> Linux doesn't really support UFS read/write. You might
> get a lot further
> on this one with a FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD box I suspect as
> they also use
> UFS

A FreeBSD Live CD, like FreeSBIE

http://www.freesbie.org/

RoFreeSBIE

http://www.rofreesbie.org/

Can get you access to the UFS filesystem on any BSD partition. Hope this will help you in some way.

Regards,

Antonio