Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Adalbert Prokop

Default Boinc problems ??

William Case wrote on Thursday 19 June 2008:

Hello!

> When I launch boincmgr I get the following error message:
>
> "Authorization failed connecting to running client.
> Make sure you start this program in the same directory as the
> client."
>
> They are both in /usr/bin/ and boinc_client is running happily.

How exactly do you start boincmgr?

Did you start boincmgr from the same directory where boinc is running, As
suggested by the error message? Boincmgr is looking for the file
gui_rpc_auth.cfg in the current directory, i.e. if you have installed
boinc into ~/BOINC then

cd $HOME; BOINC/boincmgr

will not work, but

cd $HOME/BOINC; ./boincmgr

will.

--
Tschüss,
Adalbert Prokop

mummy, n.: An Egyptian who was pressed for time.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:07 PM
William Case

Hi Adalbert;

Now I am totally confused.

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 23:44 +0200, Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> William Case wrote on Thursday 19 June 2008:
>
> Hello!
>
> > When I launch boincmgr I get the following error message:
> >
> > "Authorization failed connecting to running client.
> > Make sure you start this program in the same directory as the
> > client."
> >
> > They are both in /usr/bin/ and boinc_client is running happily.
>
> How exactly do you start boincmgr?

I tried using the launcher in menu that was placed there by the
automatic installation when I yum install boinc; and,

I tried boincmgr from the user command line.

> Did you start boincmgr from the same directory where boinc is running, As
> suggested by the error message?

I have no $HOME/BOINC; (I used to in Fedora 8)
yum installed all boinc files in /var/lib/boinc/ including
gui_rpc_auth.cfg.

I have executables for boinc_client and boincmgr in /usr/bin

> Boincmgr is looking for the file
> gui_rpc_auth.cfg in the current directory, i.e. if you have installed
> boinc into ~/BOINC then
>
> cd $HOME; BOINC/boincmgr
>
> will not work, but
>
> cd $HOME/BOINC; ./boincmgr
>
> will.
>
> --
> Tschüss,
> Adalbert Prokop
>
> mummy, n.: An Egyptian who was pressed for time.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Adalbert Prokop

William Case wrote on Friday 20 June 2008:

> I have no $HOME/BOINC; (I used to in Fedora 8)
> yum installed all boinc files in /var/lib/boinc/ including
> gui_rpc_auth.cfg.

If gui_rpc_auth.cfg is there and readable for you, then

cd /var/lib/boinc; boincmgr

should start the manager. If this works, you can fill /var/lib/boinc into
the field "working directory" in your menu entry.

--
bye,
Adalbert

Memory fault -- brain fried

Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
William Case

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 18:07 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi Adalbert;
>
> Now I am totally confused.
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 23:44 +0200, Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> > William Case wrote on Thursday 19 June 2008:

[snip]

I tried creating a symbolic link from /usr/bin/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
to /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg

No joy. Does anybody else have any ideas??
--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-19-2008, 11:59 PM
William Case

Thanks Adalbert;

Mostly joy.

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 00:56 +0200, Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> William Case wrote on Friday 20 June 2008:
>
> > I have no $HOME/BOINC; (I used to in Fedora 8)
> > yum installed all boinc files in /var/lib/boinc/ including
> > gui_rpc_auth.cfg.
>
> If gui_rpc_auth.cfg is there and readable for you, then
>
> cd /var/lib/boinc; boincmgr

needed cd /var/lib/boinc; sudo boincmgr
Doesn't ask for a password. Don't know why.

> should start the manager. If this works, you can fill /var/lib/boinc into
> the field "working directory" in your menu entry.

Don't have a working directory field in the menu entry that I know of,
just a command line -- but I can't get the above command (or variations)
to launch from the menu or Icon/launcher.

I am getting forgetful, tired and old -- or all three. I'll leave it
until tomorrow.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Mike Chambers

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 19:00 -0400, William Case wrote:

> I tried creating a symbolic link from /usr/bin/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
> to /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
>
> No joy. Does anybody else have any ideas??

If /var/lib/boinc is where the files exist, then you need to try the
following..

1 - cd /var/lib/boinc
2 - ./boincmgr

or

1 - cd /usr/bin
2 - ./boincmgr

Try either of the following and see if they work.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 06-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Nicolas

Mike Chambers <mike <at> miketc.com> writes:
> If /var/lib/boinc is where the files exist, then you need to try the
> following..
>
> 1 - cd /var/lib/boinc
> 2 - ./boincmgr

boincmgr is not in /var/lib/boinc, it's in /usr/bin. So:
cd /var/lib/boinc
/usr/bin/boincmgr (or just boincmgr, since it's in $PATH).