Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default Real player doesn't work on F9 under KDE

I have RealPlayer-11.0.0.4028-20080225.i586 (my system is x86_64 but
Real only seem to have a i586 rpm available). When I run realplay from
the command line with an appropriate URL (e.g. a BBC video link) I get:

realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "nodoka",

(realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "nodoka",

(realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "nodoka",

(realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "nodoka",
Opening ALSA PCM device default
Opening ALSA PCM device default
The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.
etc.

This is under KDE and I have KDE Settings configured to use the Nodoka
theme for GTK apps, but even when I turn this off I get the same error,
except for:

... Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qt4engine"
etc.

Any suggestions welcome.

poc

Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

I think real player is is trying to load nodoka engine (32-bit)

try installing (gtk-nodoka-engine.i386):

yum install gtk-nodoka-engine.i386

Old 06-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 19 June 2008 21:29:41 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I have RealPlayer-11.0.0.4028-20080225.i586 (my system is x86_64 but
> Real only seem to have a i586 rpm available). When I run realplay from
> the command line with an appropriate URL (e.g. a BBC video link) I get:
>
> realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> in module_path: "nodoka",
>
> (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> in module_path: "nodoka",
>
> (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> in module_path: "nodoka",
>
> (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> in module_path: "nodoka", Opening ALSA PCM device default
> Opening ALSA PCM device default
> The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.
> etc.
>
> This is under KDE and I have KDE Settings configured to use the Nodoka
> theme for GTK apps, but even when I turn this off I get the same error,
> except for:
>
> ... Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qt4engine"
> etc.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> poc

Bugs.kde.org :-)

Anne

Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 00:39 +0200, Bassel Safadi wrote:
> I think real player is is trying to load nodoka engine (32-bit)
>
> try installing (gtk-nodoka-engine.i386):
>
> yum install gtk-nodoka-engine.i386

OK, the errors are fewer:

Opening ALSA PCM device default
Opening ALSA PCM device default
The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.
etc.

So now it's an ALSA problem. Still, it's an improvement I guess. I'm
using PulseAudio and I don't have problems with sound in Flash, Amarok,
Mplayer etc.

poc

Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

* * * *The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.

* * * *This probably reflects a bug in the program.

* * * * * * * *etc.

So now it's an ALSA problem. Still, it's an improvement I guess. I'm

using PulseAudio and I don't have problems with sound in Flash, Amarok,

Mplayer etc.
if you have desktop effects enabled, please disable them and post the full error massage you get when trying to run real player from terminal if any..

Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 01:38 +0200, Bassel Safadi wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> OK, the errors are fewer:
>
> Opening ALSA PCM device default
> Opening ALSA PCM device default
> The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System
> error.
>
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> etc.
>
> So now it's an ALSA problem. Still, it's an improvement I
> guess. I'm
> using PulseAudio and I don't have problems with sound in
> Flash, Amarok,
> Mplayer etc.
>
> if you have desktop effects enabled, please disable them and post the
> full error massage you get when trying to run real player from
> terminal if any..

I don't have desktop effects (you mean Compiz etc. right?). Anyway,
here's the full dope:

[poc@bree:S1] realplay http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.ram?ad=1&ct=50
[1] 22691
[poc@bree:S1] Opening ALSA PCM device default
Opening ALSA PCM device default
The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(Details: serial 43 error_code 8 request_code 140 minor_code 13)

[1]+ Done realplay http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.ram?ad=1

poc

Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 23:57 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 19 June 2008 21:29:41 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I have RealPlayer-11.0.0.4028-20080225.i586 (my system is x86_64 but
> > Real only seem to have a i586 rpm available). When I run realplay from
> > the command line with an appropriate URL (e.g. a BBC video link) I get:
> >
> > realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> > in module_path: "nodoka",
> >
> > (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> > in module_path: "nodoka",
> >
> > (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> > in module_path: "nodoka",
> >
> > (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> > in module_path: "nodoka", Opening ALSA PCM device default
> > Opening ALSA PCM device default
> > The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.
> > etc.
> >
> > This is under KDE and I have KDE Settings configured to use the Nodoka
> > theme for GTK apps, but even when I turn this off I get the same error,
> > except for:
> >
> > ... Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qt4engine"
> > etc.
> >
> > Any suggestions welcome.
> >
> > poc
>
> Bugs.kde.org :-)

Possibly. With the nodoka theme I fixed it by installing
gtk-nodoka-engine.i386, following Bassel's suggestion. However in trying
to do the same for qt (i.e. gtk-qt-engine.i386) yum pulled in an extra
42 extra packages (yes, forty-two, the Ultimate Answer to Life, The
Universe and Everything). At least it tried to, before bailing out on a
conflict with kdelibs. I'm just going to back slowly away from that ...

poc

Old 06-20-2008, 12:55 AM
"Bassel Safadi"

I don't have desktop effects (you mean Compiz etc. right?). Anyway,

here's the full dope:

* * * *[poc@bree:S1] realplay http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.ram?ad=1&ct=50

* * * *[1] 22691

* * * *[poc@bree:S1] Opening ALSA PCM device default

* * * *Opening ALSA PCM device default

* * * *The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.

* * * *This probably reflects a bug in the program.

* * * *The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.

* * * * *(Details: serial 43 error_code 8 request_code 140 minor_code 13)

* * * * *(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

* * * * * that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

* * * * * To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

* * * * * option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

* * * * * backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

* * * *[1]+ *Done * * * * * * * * * *realplay http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.ram?ad=1

poc

Ok,
first let's ensure that XVideo isn't used by any other program when this crash happens.
if that doesn't help and you can open real player, maybe from gnome, disabling XVideo well probably fix your problem, in realplayer go to Tools>Preferences>Hardware and then Disable XVideo.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Anthony Messina

On Thursday 19 June 2008 03:29:41 pm Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I have RealPlayer-11.0.0.4028-20080225.i586 (my system is x86_64 but
> Real only seem to have a i586 rpm available). When I run realplay from
> the command line with an appropriate URL (e.g. a BBC video link) I get:
>
> realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> in module_path: "nodoka",
>
> (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> in module_path: "nodoka",
>
> (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> in module_path: "nodoka",
>
> (realplay.bin:31914): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine
> in module_path: "nodoka", Opening ALSA PCM device default
> Opening ALSA PCM device default
> The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.
> etc.
>
> This is under KDE and I have KDE Settings configured to use the Nodoka
> theme for GTK apps, but even when I turn this off I get the same error,
> except for:
>
> ... Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qt4engine"
> etc.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> poc

just go here:
http://forms.helixcommunity.org/helix/builds/?category=realplay-current
and get the 64 bit version

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 AM
stan

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

[snip]

OK, the errors are fewer:

Opening ALSA PCM device default
Opening ALSA PCM device default
The program 'realplay.bin' received an X Window System error.
etc.

So now it's an ALSA problem. Still, it's an improvement I guess. I'm

using PulseAudio and I don't have problems with sound in Flash, Amarok,
Mplayer etc.

poc

I don't think that realplayer has a pulseaudio plugin. When you go into
the configuration
is there an option to select a pulse plugin? If there isn't, it needs
to work with alsa directly,
instead of through pulse. That would be why the request for the default
sound device failed.

Pulse is holding it.

Try turning off pulse and running again.

[snip]