Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Bruce Byfield

Default Canon LBP 2900 drives me crazy

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 01:46 +0200, Bassel Safadi wrote:

> I did exactly what the wrote in the guide, and still having the same
> problem

You may have already thought of this idea, but is the LBP 2900 a
postscript printer? If so, you can use the Foomatic generic postscript
driver, or the driver for just about any other postscript printer, for
that matter.

Another, probably more useful idea: According to

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Canon_LBP_2900_with_Samba

you can use the Apple LaserWriter II driver with this printer.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada

Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 20 June 2008 00:46:51 Bassel Safadi wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Zoltan Szabo <szzoli@elte.hu> wrote:
> > There is a guide for installing LBP printers to Linux on the canon
> > website:
> > "http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0028622.asp?model=", you may
> > give it a try.
>
> I did exactly what the wrote in the guide, and still having the same
> problem
>

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > There's your clue. You didn't say where this printer is, or how it's
> > connected. It appears to be expecting you to have authenticated somehow
> > - either because it is networked, or because it is attached to another
> > computer.
> >
> > Anne
>
> the printer is attached to the same computer, and shared via samba, is it
> possible that samba causing the problem?

Possible, I suppose, but I doubt it, unless you have something unusual in your
smb.conf.

Bruce mentioned a gentoo guide. In my experience gentoo documentation is
usually very good, so it's definitely worth looking at.

Anne

Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 AM
"TV Sivaraman"

Hi:
CAPT 1.7 version is available at: http://support-in.canon-asia.com/EN/search?canonsearch=1&lang=EN&category=Laser+Printe rs&series=Monochrome&model=LBP2900&menu=Download.

You can try that.
Sivaraman.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Friday 20 June 2008 00:46:51 Bassel Safadi wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Zoltan Szabo <szzoli@elte.hu> wrote:

> > There is a guide for installing LBP printers to Linux on the canon

> > website:

> > "http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0028622.asp?model=", you may

> > give it a try.

> I did exactly what the wrote in the guide, and still having the same

> problem

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>

> wrote:

> > There's your clue. *You didn't say where this printer is, or how it's

> > connected. *It appears to be expecting you to have authenticated somehow

> > - either because it is networked, or because it is attached to another

> > computer.

> > Anne

> the printer is attached to the same computer, and shared via samba, is it

> possible that samba causing the problem?

Possible, I suppose, but I doubt it, unless you have something unusual in your

smb.conf.

Bruce mentioned a gentoo guide. *In my experience gentoo documentation is

usually very good, so it's definitely worth looking at.

Anne

Dr. T. V. Sivaraman,
Lane No. 5, 46A, Ravindrapuri,
VARANASI - 221005. INDIA
Ph. No. 91-542-2276605
919451273108

Old 06-21-2008, 12:22 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

You may have already thought of this idea, but is the LBP 2900 a

postscript printer? If so, you can use the Foomatic generic postscript

driver, or the driver for just about any other postscript printer, for

that matter.

Another, probably more useful idea: According to

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Canon_LBP_2900_with_Samba

you can use the Apple LaserWriter II driver with this printer.

I've tried the Apple LaserWriter II driver it work but the printer isn't printing very strange

Possible, I suppose, but I doubt it, unless you have something unusual in your

smb.conf.

Bruce mentioned a gentoo guide. *In my experience gentoo documentation is

usually very good, so it's definitely worth looking at.

Anne

Nothing unusual in smb.conf, by the way disabling network and samba didn't helped, also gentoo guide don't work,

this was discussed two years ago in fedora forums and no solution was found, please have a look at:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125140&highlight=lbp2900