Old 06-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Daniel Kirsten

Default FC 9 Installation IOError: Input/output error

Hallo,

I try to install Fedora 9 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi2550
using a DVD. I use text bases installation due to Radeon HD2700.

When the installation program installs the rpm-packages from the DVD,
it stops after some hundred packages and gives a long python-related
error message ending by

IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Then, the installation terminates...

Is there any solution or workaround for this issue?

Best regards, Daniel

Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
stan

Daniel Kirsten wrote:
Hallo,

I try to install Fedora 9 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi2550
using a DVD. I use text bases installation due to Radeon HD2700.

When the installation program installs the rpm-packages from the DVD,
it stops after some hundred packages and gives a long python-related
error message ending by

IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Then, the installation terminates...

Is there any solution or workaround for this issue?

Best regards, Daniel

I don't know that I can help you, but anyone who helps is going to need
more information.
Is there a chance you ran out of memory? How much memory does your
system have?

Is there enough disk space? How large are the partitions?

The error above means that python was not able to read or write to either
the disk or memory. I guess there isn't any way to capture the message,
but that would be an important clue as to what went wrong. Did you notice
anything about the code that failed? Python usually prints the failing
instruction

on traceback.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Daniel Kirsten

> I don't know that I can help you, but anyone who helps is going to need
>
>more information. Is there a chance you ran out of memory? How much memory does your system have?

2 Gigabyte

> Is there enough disk space? How large are the partitions?

I have two identical 200GB HD-Drives. I used various partition schemes.
Once, I allowed anaconda to make partitions, and the error occured.

>The error above means that python was not able to read or write to either
>the disk or memory.

The DVD passed the media check in the beginning of the installation.
Is it possible that there is nevertheless some problem with the DVD.

>I guess there isn't any way to capture the message,
>but that would be an important clue as to what went wrong. Did you notice
>anything about the code that failed? Python usually prints the failing instruction
>on traceback.

I try to provide more information.

Best regards, Daniel