Old 12-03-2007, 04:52 AM
"Kam Leo"

Default Looking to upgrade to Fedora 8

On Dec 2, 2007 7:48 PM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@thesandhufamily.ca> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm currently running Fedora 6. I'm planning to upgrade my Dell D800
> laptop to Fedora 8 during my Christmas holidays (fresh install). I'm
> going to keep /home and /usr/local (i.e. not format them) during
> install).
>
> I'm fairly sure everything should just work afterwards, but I'm
> wondering how VMware Server will hold up. Will I be able to install it
> ok on Fedora 8 and run my virtual machines (saved in my home folder)?
>
> Has anyone had any problems with Evolution after moving to Fedora 8?
> Since I'm not formatting /home, Evolution should see my previous config
> and run accordingly.
>
> Any other hangups? I haven't seen anything major reported on this list,
> which bodes well for me!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

Do your homework before upgrading. Review FC6 to F7 and F7 to F8
Release Notes for requirements and recommendations. For example, all
disk partitions must be labeled.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Greg Sieranski

Kam Leo wrote:

[...]

I would recommend that you back up your home directory and do a complete
fresh install of F8. Then you can copy over things from your home dir
one at a time to make sure everything works.

Greg Sieranski

Old 12-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Timothy Murphy

Greg Sieranski wrote:

> I would recommend that you back up your home directory and do a complete
> fresh install of F8. Then you can copy over things from your home dir
> one at a time to make sure everything works.

Which "things"?