Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Luc MAIGNAN

Default QOS

Hi,

What is the easyest way to limit bandwitdh usage for an IP address on my
network ?

BR

Old 06-19-2008, 02:46 PM
"Mark Haney"

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:

Hi,

What is the easyest way to limit bandwitdh usage for an IP address on my
network ?

BR

Pull the network cable? That'll limit it to 0.

Actually, I'd probably use policing on the switch that system is
connected to. If it's a managed switch.

I've not ever found a real good linux bandwidth limiter for just a
single system.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Luc MAIGNAN

:-) so funny....

I manage myself the network via iptables rules.
I don't want to bring traffic to 0, just limit downloads availability to
certains users

Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 PM
"Mark Haney"

Mark Haney a écrit :

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:

Hi,

What is the easyest way to limit bandwitdh usage for an IP address on
my network ?

BR

Pull the network cable? That'll limit it to 0.

Actually, I'd probably use policing on the switch that system is
connected to. If it's a managed switch.

I've not ever found a real good linux bandwidth limiter for just a
single system.

IIRC there's a bandwidth shaper module in the kernel you might can try.
I've never used it, or known anyone to use it, but that might work for
you.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Alexander Kirillov

What is the easyest way to limit bandwitdh usage for an IP address on my
network ?

Try shorewall.
It has some traffic shaping capabilities.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 16:43:11 +0200,
Luc MAIGNAN <luc.maignan@winxpert.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the easyest way to limit bandwitdh usage for an IP address on my
> network ?

You haven't adequately described your problem well enough to provide a good
answer to that. And most likely that isn't the real problem you are trying
to solve.
My recommendation would be to look at the LARTC Howto. That will at least
give you some ideas on what is possible and that may be enough to let you
solve your problem on your own.