-   -   NM alternatives for wireless (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/109658-nm-alternatives-wireless.html)

"Andras Simon" 06-19-2008 12:36 PM

NM alternatives for wireless

Are there any alternatives to NetwokManager for managing wireless connections?
I don't care if it's got gui or cli as long as it lets me configure
multiple connections and choose from among them.

NM itself did its thing until I started to run icewm from ~/.Xclients
- I guess this prevented starting some gnome thingy that NM needs.
Never mind, I didn't care for NM's "don't ask, connect" policy anyway.

I tried wifi-radar: it basically hangs while trying to establish the connection.

wlassistant looks more promising: it's more configurable, and it at
least gave up trying to connect with an error message:

iwconfig_ap: /sbin/iwconfig ath0 ap 00:18:F8:42:03:3E
==>stderr: Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No
such file or directory
Using wpa_supplicant driver: wext
WPA client started. Waiting for status...
CONNECTION FAILED.
disconnect: /sbin/iwconfig ath0 mode managed key off ap off essid off

The only way I can connect now is starting nm-applet, telling it a few
times that it shouldn't ask for the passphrase for my gnome-keyring (I
didn't know I had one!), then giving it the WPA key of the AP it's
supposed to connect to. (It's nice that NM protects the key (if this
is what it does), too bad it protects it from me, too.)

All this is on an eee pc.

Andras

"Mark Haney" 06-19-2008 12:53 PM

Andras Simon wrote:

Are there any alternatives to NetwokManager for managing wireless connections?
I don't care if it's got gui or cli as long as it lets me configure
multiple connections and choose from among them.

Andras

I have a similar situation, wireless at home and at the office and at
Wifi hotspots all over town. To be honest, I've given up on the GUI
clients almost completely (NM I think might be coming along, but it's
not high on my list to try to debug since I don't use it that often) and
have gone with some very simple BASH scripts that let me load whatever
configuration I want when I need it. I've never been particularly lucky
with loading wireless interfaces on boot (one desktop being the
exception, it works perfectly) and load them as I need them.

Granted it's not as user friendly, but it's simple, it works
consistently for me and it's one less thing I have to worry about.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Andrea 06-19-2008 01:07 PM

Mark Haney wrote:

Andras Simon wrote:

I have a similar situation, wireless at home and at the office and at
Wifi hotspots all over town. To be honest, I've given up on the GUI
clients almost completely (NM I think might be coming along, but it's
not high on my list to try to debug since I don't use it that often) and
have gone with some very simple BASH scripts that let me load whatever
configuration I want when I need it. I've never been particularly lucky
with loading wireless interfaces on boot (one desktop being the
exception, it works perfectly) and load them as I need them.

Granted it's not as user friendly, but it's simple, it works
consistently for me and it's one less thing I have to worry about.

I have my own personal solution using ifup/ifdown but it requires some modification:

1) wpa_supplicant must be started before the network (default is the opposite)
2) change ifup-wireless and ifcfg-wlan0 to skip all configurations (already done by wpa_supplicant)

then you can do ifup wlan0 and ifdown wlan0, and have it at boot time.

The drawback is that I don't have a way to tell if wpa_supplicant fails.

If you want I can post the exact modifications needed.

Andrea

"Andras Simon" 06-19-2008 01:33 PM

On 6/19/08, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

> I have a similar situation, wireless at home and at the office and at
> Wifi hotspots all over town. To be honest, I've given up on the GUI
> clients almost completely (NM I think might be coming along, but it's
> not high on my list to try to debug since I don't use it that often) and
> have gone with some very simple BASH scripts that let me load whatever
> configuration I want when I need it. I've never been particularly lucky
> with loading wireless interfaces on boot (one desktop being the
> exception, it works perfectly) and load them as I need them.
>
> Granted it's not as user friendly, but it's simple, it works
> consistently for me and it's one less thing I have to worry about.

bash scripts are user-friendly enough as far as I'm concerned...
Would you mind sharing them with us?

Andras

Sven Winkelmann 06-19-2008 02:02 PM

NM alternatives for wireless

that is with wicd? http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

"Andras Simon" 06-19-2008 03:28 PM

On 6/19/08, Sven Winkelmann <sven.winkelmann@blue1.at> wrote:
> that is with wicd? http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Thanks, this comes very close to what I had in mind! And it's the only
thing besides NM that I'm able to connect to wireless APs with! It's a
pity it's not packaged for fedora.

Andras

"Paul Johnson" 06-19-2008 10:29 PM

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/08, Sven Winkelmann <sven.winkelmann@blue1.at> wrote:
>> that is with wicd? http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
>
> Thanks, this comes very close to what I had in mind! And it's the only
> thing besides NM that I'm able to connect to wireless APs with! It's a
> pity it's not packaged for fedora.
>
> Andras

Go read the source code and you'll see why its not packaged with
Fedora. It may work for some users, but it is a thorough hodge-podge
and packaging with with rpm is a peculiar task.

I think you should take a calm breath and figure why NM does not work
for you. I was an NM hater, but have now found it works 100% of the
time on routers that allow DHCP (not static IP wire, but DHCP wire is
OK too).

If you don't run gnome, as I often don't, you should start the network
manager applet with a script like so:

$ cat bin/my-nm-applet
eval "`gnome-keyring-daemon`"
export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
rm nohup.out
nohup nm-applet &
# kill $GNOME_KEYRING_PID

Of course, before you do that, make absolutely sure that the "network"
service is OFF, wpa_supplicant must be OFF, and NetworkManager must be
ON.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

"Andras Simon" 06-19-2008 11:52 PM

On 6/20/08, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

> Go read the source code and you'll see why its not packaged with
> Fedora. It may work for some users, but it is a thorough hodge-podge
> and packaging with with rpm is a peculiar task.

It seems it is doable though: the second half of this page
http://wicd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fedora
tells how.

> I think you should take a calm breath and figure why NM does not work
> for you. I was an NM hater, but have now found it works 100% of the
> time on routers that allow DHCP (not static IP wire, but DHCP wire is
> OK too).

It's not so much that it doesn't work but that I don't like the way it
does when it does. I like to have the final say in what AP we connect
to.

> If you don't run gnome, as I often don't, you should start the network
> manager applet with a script like so:
>

> $ cat bin/my-nm-applet
> eval "`gnome-keyring-daemon`"
> export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
> export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
> rm nohup.out
> nohup nm-applet &
> # kill $GNOME_KEYRING_PID
>

> Of course, before you do that, make absolutely sure that the "network"
> service is OFF, wpa_supplicant must be OFF, and NetworkManager must be
> ON.

Ah, so these are the missing bits that nm-applet needs!
Thanks for this, and the different perspective!

Andras