Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
"Dan Track"

Default Help with understanding whether I have a 64 bit server

Hi

I'm new into the 64 bit world. I've got to install rhel5 but I don't
know whether my new server supports 64bit or not. Can anyone tell me
how I could find out?

Thanks
Dan

Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
"TV Sivaraman"

>From the processor info in the bios you can find out whether 64 or 32 bit. It is rather easy for AMD, they clearly mention it. It is somewhat confusing for Intel. You google the processor model and find out.

I'm new into the 64 bit world. I've got to install rhel5 but I don't

know whether my new server supports 64bit or not. Can anyone tell me

how I could find out?

Thanks

Dan

Dr. T. V. Sivaraman,
Lane No. 5, 46A, Ravindrapuri,
VARANASI - 221005. INDIA
Ph. No. 91-542-2276605
919451273108

Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM
"Dan Track"

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Here's what cpu I have:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz

If this is a 64bit CPU does that mean I can only install the 64bit
version of rhel? Do I need to do anything to the hardware to activate
64bit?

Thanks
Dan

Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
"Mustafa Qasim"

Thanks for the reply. Here's what cpu I have:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU * * * * * E5320 *@ 1.86GHz

If this is a 64bit CPU does that mean I can only install the 64bit

version of rhel? Do I need to do anything to the hardware to activate

64bit?

Thanks

Dan

2008/6/19 TV Sivaraman <tvsraman@gmail.com>:

> >From the processor info in the bios you can find out whether 64 or 32 bit.

> It is rather easy for AMD, they clearly mention it. It is somewhat confusing

> for Intel. You google the processor model and find out.

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi

>> I'm new into the 64 bit world. I've got to install rhel5 but I don't

>> know whether my new server supports 64bit or not. Can anyone tell me

>> how I could find out?

>> Thanks

>> Dan

>> --

> Dr. T. V. Sivaraman,

> Lane No. 5, 46A, Ravindrapuri,

> VARANASI - 221005. INDIA

> Ph. No. 91-542-2276605

> 919451273108

Check it Dude
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_79_10346.shtm
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Understanding_proc_cpuinfo.html

Mustafa Qasim
Lahore, Pakistan
Registered Linux User# 441709.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
"Mustafa Qasim"

Do I need to do anything to the hardware to activate

64bit?

I don't think..umm.. just install a 64bit version and you are on your way..

Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM
stan

Dan Track wrote:

Hi

I'm new into the 64 bit world. I've got to install rhel5 but I don't
know whether my new server supports 64bit or not. Can anyone tell me
how I could find out?

Thanks
Dan

At the command line type the command
cat /proc/cpuinfo
The flag lm indicates 64 bit capability.