-   -   Pdfedit (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/109573-pdfedit.html)

"Antonio M" 06-19-2008 09:17 AM

Pdfedit

I find that Pdfedit is very slow (i.e. when adding text or moving some element). Any experience??
Shall I file a bug???
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Rick Pasotto 08-17-2011 10:03 PM

pdfedit

I guess I'm too stupid to figure it out.

I have a pdf document that I would like to add two lines of text to
(different positions, different fonts). Under the 'Page' menu I see an
icon for adding text but it is greyed out. I don't see that icon
anywhere else on the screen.

The so-called 'Help' is useless.

Could someone please help me get started?

Thanks.

--
We have need of history in its entirety, not to fall back into it, but
to see if we can escape from it.

John Jason Jordan 08-18-2011 02:10 AM

pdfedit

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:03:20 -0400
Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> dijo:

>I guess I'm too stupid to figure it out.
>
>I have a pdf document that I would like to add two lines of text to
>(different positions, different fonts). Under the 'Page' menu I see an
>icon for adding text but it is greyed out. I don't see that icon
>anywhere else on the screen.
>
>The so-called 'Help' is useless.
>
>Could someone please help me get started?

I've never figured out how to use Pdfedit. I do know that in a lot of
PDFs the text has been converted to paths; i.e., it has been turned
into vector images. If the text has been converted to paths there is no
longer any text.

If all you want to do is add text to a PDF I recommend Xournal. It's
much simpler and does a great job. But bear in mind that Xournal can
only add things to a PDF; it cannot edit the underlying PDF.

Camaleón 08-19-2011 06:54 PM

pdfedit

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:03:20 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> I have a pdf document that I would like to add two lines of text to
> (different positions, different fonts). Under the 'Page' menu I see an
> icon for adding text but it is greyed out. I don't see that icon
> anywhere else on the screen.

Check first if the PDF is not encrypted nor secured in any way, maybe you
are facing a simple problem of locked options here.

Anyway, there is a brief how-to for the most used options in howtoforge:

http://www.howtoforge.com/editing_pdf_files_pdfedit_ubuntu_feisty_p2

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Javier Barroso 08-21-2011 12:26 PM

pdfedit

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> I guess I'm too stupid to figure it out.
>
> I have a pdf document that I would like to add two lines of text to
> (different positions, different fonts). Under the 'Page' menu I see an
> icon for adding text but it is greyed out. I don't see that icon
> anywhere else on the screen.
>
> The so-called 'Help' is useless.
>
> Could someone please help me get started?

If you have good luck, libreoffice (with libreoffice-pdfimport
package) could help you to edit your pdf. I say good luck, because I
think the pdf support is primitive in libreoffice

Joachim Backes 08-21-2011 04:04 PM

pdfedit

Hi,

in F15 I could install pdfedit by yum. Anybody knows when this will be
possible in F16?

Kind regards

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Rahul Sundaram 08-21-2011 04:14 PM

pdfedit

On 08/21/2011 09:34 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in F15 I could install pdfedit by yum. Anybody knows when this will be
> possible in F16?

It has been orphaned

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/pdfedit

So unless someone takes over, no

Rahul

Thomas Spura 08-21-2011 04:19 PM

pdfedit

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:04:48 +0200
Joachim Backes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in F15 I could install pdfedit by yum. Anybody knows when this will
> be possible in F16?

Hi Joachim,

It won't be possible in the near future, because it's orphaned:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/pdfedit

Unless tremble or anyone else wants to maintain it, it won't be
possible. (CC'ing tremble)

The dead.package says this:
"Upstream is essentially dead - gui stuck on qt3 and buggy"

But the upstream url says, it was ported to qt4 and upstream still
wored on it...

Greetings,
Tom

Orion Poplawski 08-22-2011 08:52 PM

pdfedit

On 08/21/2011 10:19 AM, Thomas Spura wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:04:48 +0200
> Joachim Backes wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in F15 I could install pdfedit by yum. Anybody knows when this will
>> be possible in F16?
>
> Hi Joachim,
>
> It won't be possible in the near future, because it's orphaned:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/pdfedit
>
> Unless tremble or anyone else wants to maintain it, it won't be
> possible. (CC'ing tremble)
>
> The dead.package says this:
> "Upstream is essentially dead - gui stuck on qt3 and buggy"
>
> But the upstream url says, it was ported to qt4 and upstream still
> wored on it...
>
> Greetings,
> Tom

Hpefully it gets completed. I finally gave up maintaining it since nothing
seemed to be happening for over a year and the ABRT reports kept coming in. I
would advise against reviving it until a Qt4 version is fully ready and tested.

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Stephen Allen 08-24-2011 02:27 AM

pdfedit

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 06:03:20PM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> I guess I'm too stupid to figure it out.
>
> I have a pdf document that I would like to add two lines of text to
> (different positions, different fonts). Under the 'Page' menu I see an
> icon for adding text but it is greyed out. I don't see that icon
> anywhere else on the screen.
>
> The so-called 'Help' is useless.
>
> Could someone please help me get started?
---end quoted text---

Sure that the PDF text isn't an image? Could be a scan ...