Old 06-19-2008, 05:48 AM
"Sriram Ramaswamy"

Default Fedora 9 installation

Hi Guys,
*
I am a total newbie to Linux (less than a week) and open source and I began my experiments with Fedora and I have to admit its one very cool system.

My problems began with trying to install the Fedora core 9 64 bit version. The anaconda installer identifies my Nvidia Ge Force card perfectly but after that X server begins its work it just halts. This happens even in the 32 bit version. I thought I might have burned the DVD wrong and retried with a fresh new DVD but it still halted.

This is odd because I have tried installing FC 8 32 and 64 bit version and they both work fine. The 64 bit also lets me install the latest release of the Nvidia driver with no problems.

This is my computer's hardware configuration. I have a AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor 1.80 GHz, 4 GB DDR RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600 GT Display adapter, Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

*
Suggestions please.

Please note this is my first time here and if I am breaking any rules by sending out this mail please do let me know.

--
Sriram.

http://macroeconomy.in/

Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 11:18 +0530, Sriram Ramaswamy wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am a total newbie to Linux (less than a week) and open source and I
> began my experiments with Fedora and I have to admit its one very cool
> system.
>
> My problems began with trying to install the Fedora core 9 64 bit
> version. The anaconda installer identifies my Nvidia Ge Force card
> perfectly but after that X server begins its work it just halts. This
> happens even in the 32 bit version. I thought I might have burned the
> DVD wrong and retried with a fresh new DVD but it still halted.
>
> This is odd because I have tried installing FC 8 32 and 64 bit version
> and they both work fine. The 64 bit also lets me install the latest
> release of the Nvidia driver with no problems.
>
> This is my computer's hardware configuration. I have a AMD Phenom 9500
> Quad Core Processor 1.80 GHz, 4 GB DDR RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600 GT
> Display adapter, Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.
>
> Suggestions please.
> Please note this is my first time here and if I am breaking any rules
> by sending out this mail please do let me know.

No, you're not breaking any rules. The list exists for people to help
each other out with this stuff :-)

That said, I don't have an answer for you, but NVidia on Fedora 9 has
been discussed extensively here in the past few weeks. Try searching in
the list archives at https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/

poc

Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
"TV Sivaraman"

I presume you are able to run your FC9 install on command mode. Nvidia has been a problem, I should know, I have been using RH or FC with Nvidia since 5 years now. If your FC9 is ok in command mode or Run Level 3 (init 3) mode then, you can try either building the Nvidia module from the package provided by Nvidia (www.nvidia.com/downloads) or download the rpms from either rpm.livna.org or atrpms.net. I find the Nvidia package much easier. To be able to run Nvidia package from Nvidia site you would require the kernel-devel rpm to be installed in your system for the kernel you are using on your FC9. By the way there seems to be no kernel-devel for the kernel bundled with the DVD, therefore, you may first need to do a yum update for your system and then do the* following:

1. download the Nvidia package from Nvidia site (www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html), the package begining 173.14.09 (32-bit) and 177.13 (64-bit) should work.
2. yum install kernel-devel (this would install kernel-devel rpm)

3. Log as root in run level 3 or command mode.
4. chmod +x <nividia package>
5. sh <nvidia package>
this should install nividia drivers and modify xorg file for nvidia graphics.
For the second method: download and install a) kmod-nvidia-173 or kmod-nvidia-177 and b) kmod-nvidia - <kernel version>. You can also do a yum install also with livna repository data.

Sivaraman.

[...]

Dr. T. V. Sivaraman,

Lane No. 5, 46A, Ravindrapuri,
VARANASI - 221005. INDIA
Ph. No. 91-542-2276605
919451273108

Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM
"allen"

I am mentally prepared to inatall fedora 9 but have
some technological constraints my PC literate capability.
1. I want to devote the entire HD to
Linux.
2. Presently devoted to XP home
*
Please advise
*
Confused Senior

Old 07-05-2008, 03:31 PM
"Mark Haney"

allen wrote:

I am mentally prepared to inatall fedora 9 but have some technological constraints my PC literate capability.
1. I want to devote the entire HD to Linux.
2. Presently devoted to XP home

Please advise

Confused Senior

That's not a lot to go on. The graphical installer with fedora 9 is
pretty straightforward. At the section on where you want to install
Fedora just select the option that says 'delete all partitions and
install' or similar. I don't have the install screens up to say exactly
what it says. The click through the rest of the screens changing any
options you want to.

I simply don't know exactly what you are asking, so can't be more
specific. I will be glad to help off list if you need it.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 07-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 05 July 2008 16:26:24 allen wrote:
> I am mentally prepared to inatall fedora 9 but have some technological
> constraints my PC literate capability. 1. I want to devote the entire HD to
> Linux.
> 2. Presently devoted to XP home
>
> Please advise
>
> Confused Senior

Allen, has anyone helped you check whether everything on your computer can be
expected to work? Most things do, these days, but wireless networks and
printers do sometimes give problems.

It would be a good idea to give us as much detail as you can about your
computer. Everything from motherboard, processor and RAM to monitor make and
model and printer details.

If your hard drive is big enough it's a good idea to have a dual-boot, just at
first, so that if there are problems you can still work in Windows while you
sort them out.

BTW, Seniors are not so rare on the lists, so don't let that put you off. I'm
one, too.

Anne

Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 16:45 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 05 July 2008 16:26:24 allen wrote:
> > I am mentally prepared to inatall fedora 9 but have some technological
> > constraints my PC literate capability. 1. I want to devote the entire HD to
> > Linux.
> > 2. Presently devoted to XP home
> >
> > Please advise
> >
> > Confused Senior
>
> Allen, has anyone helped you check whether everything on your computer can be
> expected to work? Most things do, these days, but wireless networks and
> printers do sometimes give problems.
>
> It would be a good idea to give us as much detail as you can about your
> computer. Everything from motherboard, processor and RAM to monitor make and
> model and printer details.
>
> If your hard drive is big enough it's a good idea to have a dual-boot, just at
> first, so that if there are problems you can still work in Windows while you
> sort them out.
>
> BTW, Seniors are not so rare on the lists, so don't let that put you off. I'm
> one, too.

A good way to check if your hardware is supported is to run a Live CD
version of Fedora before actually installing it. This will not touch
your hard disk, so you have time to back off if necessary.

poc (another Senior, I guess; when does one become a Senior?)

Old 07-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Timothy Murphy

allen wrote:

> I am mentally prepared to inatall fedora 9 but have some technological
> constraints my PC literate capability. 1. I want to devote the entire HD
> to Linux. 2. Presently devoted to XP home

This is not going to be popular here,
but I would definitely keep Windows XP on one partition,
and set up a dual-boot Linux + Windows system.

There are many programs that either don't run at all under Linux
or that run much better under Windows.
(I just updated my ThinkPad T43 BIOS under Windows -
I doubt if that would have been possible under Linux.)

I use Linux 99% of the time,
but still keep a Windows partition on each of my computers.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Jim Cornette

allen wrote:

I am mentally prepared to inatall fedora 9 but have some technological constraints my PC literate capability.
1. I want to devote the entire HD to Linux.
2. Presently devoted to XP home

Please advise

Confused Senior

When you launch the installer after downloading and burning the DVD
image onto a disc, you will see a pulldown allowing you to remove all
partitions from the drive so you could then use the entire HD for
Fedora. The default I believe it to remove only remove Linux partitions.

The other advice you got from others with trying the "Live CD" might be
good to try before blowing away the previous system. I use Fedora on
several Computers Exclusively and find no limitations or need for XP or
a similar OS.

Jim

--
Beer -- it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 12:23 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> A good way to check if your hardware is supported is to run a Live CD
> version of Fedora before actually installing it. This will not touch
> your hard disk, so you have time to back off if necessary.

Though, bear in mind that the live discs won't always work on some
hardware that a normal install does work on, and the performance of a
live disc can be quite woeful compared to a normal installation.

I've experienced both of them, myself. Using a live disc is really only
a test of using a live disc. But it's a fair bet that if the live disc
does work, a normal installation will work even better.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.