Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 AM
"Matt Morgan"

Default Sound doesn't work after suspend/hibernate Fedora 9

When I boot my computer all the way up, sound works fine.

When I return from suspend or hibernate, sound is gone. I don't get any obvious error messages, I just don't hear anything.

It's Fedora 9, i386, on an intel board with integrated Intel sound. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Endy

Matt Morgan wrote:

When I boot my computer all the way up, sound works fine.

When I return from suspend or hibernate, sound is gone. I don't get
any obvious error messages, I just don't hear anything.

It's Fedora 9, i386, on an intel board with integrated Intel sound.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt
I had a similar problem with my dell...but that was on f8. I haven't
had any issues in f9. It's a pain in the ass, but dropping into
runlevel 3, rmmod-ing the sound module (probably snd-hda-intel) and then
experiencing it. Good news is the next version of alsa is supposed to
have a ton of hda-intel improvements.

Endy

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Patrick

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 19:13 -0700, Endy wrote:
> Matt Morgan wrote:
> > When I boot my computer all the way up, sound works fine.
> >
> > When I return from suspend or hibernate, sound is gone. I don't get
> > any obvious error messages, I just don't hear anything.
> >
> > It's Fedora 9, i386, on an intel board with integrated Intel sound.
> > Any ideas/suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matt
> I had a similar problem with my dell...but that was on f8. I haven't
> had any issues in f9. It's a pain in the ass, but dropping into
> runlevel 3, rmmod-ing the sound module (probably snd-hda-intel) and then
> experiencing it.

You can configure it so it gets done automagically. Quoting from
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-advanced.html

To do this, create a file in /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules and add the
following line:

SUSPEND_MODULES="b44"

You'll also need to make this script executable, which you can do using:
chmod +x /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules

Replace b44 with the name of your kernel sound module(s) and give it a try.

Regards,
Patrick

Old 06-21-2008, 01:50 AM
"Matt Morgan"

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Patrick <fedora-list@puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 19:13 -0700, Endy wrote:

> Matt Morgan wrote:

> > When I boot my computer all the way up, sound works fine.

> > When I return from suspend or hibernate, sound is gone. I don't get

> > any obvious error messages, I just don't hear anything.

> > It's Fedora 9, i386, on an intel board with integrated Intel sound.

> > Any ideas/suggestions?

> > Thanks,

> > Matt

> I had a similar problem with my dell...but that was on f8. *I haven't

> had any issues in f9. *It's a pain in the ass, but dropping into

> runlevel 3, rmmod-ing the sound module (probably snd-hda-intel) and then

> experiencing it.

You can configure it so it gets done automagically. Quoting from

http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-advanced.html

To do this, create a file in /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules and add the

following line:

SUSPEND_MODULES="b44"

You'll also need to make this script executable, which you can do using:

chmod +x /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules

Replace b44 with the name of your kernel sound module(s) and give it a try.

Regards,

Patrick

Thanks to you both. I think I may have bigger problems.

I tried the automagic way ... it didn't work. Maybe snd-hda-intel isn't right? How do I know? When I try 'modprobe -l snd*' I get 122 results.

I tried the manual way ... turns out that sound isn't all that I lose after suspend/hibernate. I can't get to the console on ctrl-alt-f1. No video is sent. It works after a complete reboot.

What's going on here?

Thanks a lot,
Matt