Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Knute Johnson

Default How do I login to XFCE?

I installed F9 on my laptop and then yummed up XFCE. There is not
option on the gdm login screen to changes sessions. How does it work in F9?

Thanks,

--
Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Knute Johnson wrote:
I installed F9 on my laptop and then yummed up XFCE. There is not
option on the gdm login screen to changes sessions. How does it work in
F9?

If you have installed the sessions package, it should show up. Make sure
you have done a complete installlation by running

# yum groupinstall "XFCE"

Note that you need to click on a user for the sessions menu to show up
in GDM.

Rahul

Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 14:13 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I installed F9 on my laptop and then yummed up XFCE. There is not
> option on the gdm login screen to changes sessions. How does it work in F9?
----
that's been discussed...apparently gdm doesn't have the session switcher
but kdm does...

put in /etc/sysconfig/desktop...

DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

and the next start will be kdm which does allow you to switch the
session

Craig

Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Knute Johnson

Craig White wrote:

I installed F9 on my laptop and then yummed up XFCE. There is not
option on the gdm login screen to changes sessions. How does it work in F9?

----
that's been discussed...apparently gdm doesn't have the session switcher
but kdm does...

put in /etc/sysconfig/desktop...

DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

and the next start will be kdm which does allow you to switch the
session

Craig

Do I need to have KDE installed for this to work?

Somehow this doesn't exactly seem like an improvement.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Craig White wrote:

I installed F9 on my laptop and then yummed up XFCE. There is not
option on the gdm login screen to changes sessions. How does it work in F9?

----
that's been discussed...apparently gdm doesn't have the session switcher
but kdm does...

Sorry. This is completely incorrect information.

Rahul

Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Knute Johnson

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Craig White wrote:

I installed F9 on my laptop and then yummed up XFCE. There is not
option on the gdm login screen to changes sessions. How does it work
in F9?

----
that's been discussed...apparently gdm doesn't have the session switcher
but kdm does...

Sorry. This is completely incorrect information.

Rahul

So I'm looking at my gdm login screen now and I don't seen any button or
option to select another session. Is there another package that I need
besides the groupinstall XFCE that I already did.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Knute Johnson

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Knute Johnson wrote:
I installed F9 on my laptop and then yummed up XFCE. There is not
option on the gdm login screen to changes sessions. How does it work
in F9?

If you have installed the sessions package, it should show up. Make sure
you have done a complete installlation by running

# yum groupinstall "XFCE"

Note that you need to click on a user for the sessions menu to show up
in GDM.

Rahul

Sorry Rahul, I've got too many computers running here.

Whether I click on the gdm login screen before or after I select the
user, there is still no option to select XFCE.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com