Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Default Best hassle-free webcam suggestions

Ok, I'm in trouble. The missus wants a webcam so she can yack all day long,
with her family members.

Please have pity on me, and save me copious amount of Googling by just
telling me what hardware and software I need to get that will work on Fedora
8, and has a fairly good chance of "just working" and interoperating with
its MS-Windows counterparts.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Alan Cox

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 22:13:14 -0500
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:

> Ok, I'm in trouble. The missus wants a webcam so she can yack all day long,
> with her family members.

I hope you have a lot of bandwidth and no usage limits 8)

http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/NetMeeting-HOWTO/index.html

Old 12-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Alan Cox

And if you need a Linux client side as well as to work out how to get it
through your firewall (which is a nightmare) then see Ekiga or Openwengo

Old 12-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Mike C

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com> writes:

> Ok, I'm in trouble. The missus wants a webcam so she can yack all day long,
> with her family members.

Hi Sam

I have a suggestion based on my own experience from a month or two back -
I wanted a webcam with minimal fiddling and fussing so I researched and -
I got a Philips SPC900NC which is supported in-kernel with the PWC driver.

I guess that any cam that uses the PWC driver would also work - but maybe
others will suggest specific examples.

So plug the SPC900NC in and it just works out of the box - nothing more needed.

For Linux web chat to other Linux or Windows users I would use the New Skype.
Skype 2 beta for Linux works - just fire it up, get and account and connect
to another Skype user - within your bandwidth limitations you can talk/see all
day!

There are one or two small irritations with Skype 2 beta for Linux but it
does work. It also works fine with Ekiga and with Wengo but for best
quality and minimal issues with funny ports etc I found Skype the best.

YMMV - Hope this helps..

Mike

Old 12-03-2007, 09:18 PM
John Summerfield

Alan Cox wrote:

I hope you have a lot of bandwidth and no usage limits 8)

T might have a better rejoinder than I;-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait