Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default Partitioning question

Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
I'm on a machine (my #1) that I just upgraded yesterday from F8
to F9. I opened both gparted and qtparted, to get a look at what
partitioning I have now, in hope of finding room for a second swap
partition.

Both show /dev/sda1 with 196 MB, labelled /boot -- and /dev/sda2
(all the rest, 74 GB) with an unknown file system! Gparted offers a
warning about that.

Last time I saw a partition with an unknown file system on one of
my machines, I was told the hard drive must be failing, or about to fail.
Is that so now??

Or have I messed up my upgrade from F8? Or what?

What should I do??

By default, F8 uses LVM to manage the file systems. A LVM partition
will show up as an unkown file system to a lot of utilities. /boot
can not be on a LVM partition because Grub does not know how to
handle them. (Not 100% true - there are ways to use Grub without it
being able to read the file system.) You have to use the LVM
utilities to manage file systems in the LVM partition. On F8 in
Gnome it is System --> Administration --> Logical Volume Management.

Mikkel

Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Beartooth Sciurivore

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:52:07 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

>> Both show /dev/sda1 with 196 MB, labelled /boot -- and /dev/sda2
>> (all the rest, 74 GB) with an unknown file system! Gparted offers a
>> warning about that.
>>
>> Last time I saw a partition with an unknown file system on one of
>> my machines, I was told the hard drive must be failing, or about to
>> fail. Is that so now??
>>
>> Or have I messed up my upgrade from F8? Or what?
>>
>> What should I do??
>>
> By default, F8 uses LVM to manage the file systems. A LVM partition will
> show up as an unknown file system to a lot of utilities. /boot can not
> be
> on a LVM partition because Grub does not know how to handle them. (Not
> 100% true - there are ways to use Grub without it being able to read the
> file system.) You have to use the LVM utilities to manage file systems
> in the LVM partition. On F8 in Gnome it is System --> Administration -->
> Logical Volume Management.

Now I'm really confused. Gparted actually shows *four*
partitions, if you look in the right place. But we can ignore /dev/sdb,
which is a second drive with <shudder> XP, for such times as I need to
make a GPS talk to topo map software -- something no emulator I've looked
at lately can yet do.

So, of the three partitions relevant to Fedora (9, not 8, btw),
one is LVM, one is boot, and one -- far and away the biggest -- has a
file system gparted doesn't know, or none. And if it does have one,
qtparted (which can even recognize M$) doesn't know about it either.

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 also has a warning, though not the same
one; /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 (with 1.87 GB)has no warning, but is
labelled swap.

So it still looks to me as if I'm coasting toward crash, with
only 196 MB of usable space, and over 74 GB inaccessible. But that can't
be right, either, because then all of F9 would fit on one CD...

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 16:20 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> Both show /dev/sda1 with 196 MB, labelled /boot -- and /dev/sda2
> (all the rest, 74 GB) with an unknown file system! Gparted offers a
> warning about that.
>
> Last time I saw a partition with an unknown file system on one of
> my machines, I was told the hard drive must be failing, or about to fail.
> Is that so now??

Show us the output from: fdisk -l (that's a lower-case L, not a one)

But an unknown partition type doesn't necessarily mean anything tragic.
It depends how you set your system up. You might have created
partitions with a peculiar "type" description, but formatted them with a
usual file system. The partition type label will only preselect a
default file system when it comes around to formatting it. You can make
other file systems that don't agree with the partition type description,
and the partition type will not be modified when you format them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Hi List,

Not particularly Kubuntu, but would appreciate some partitioning advice.

I've an asus laptop with an SD 120GIG drive + 750G second drive. The laptop
came with just Win7 on the SD drive. I installed Kubuntu 11 on the second
drive. Now, I never ever boot into Windows, though for some irrational reason
(maybe because it is a licenced copy) I'm loathe to wipe it in case "I ever
need it".

I wonder if it would be possible to wipe the Kubuntu partition and re-install
a virgin Kubuntu 12, but partially on the 120Gig SD drive, to get the faster
boot up speed, if so I'd have to manually tell the installer what partitions
go where and what size and I'm not sure what to do during the install. I'm
happy to shrink the 120G partition with a partion manager prior to the
install.

Any basic pointers appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Paul Kaplan

I have for years kept Kubuntu and Windows on the same physical drive.
Currently for a 64-bin install:
/dev/sda1 (WinXP) 30GB (same is probably OK for Win7 if you have MS Office and 1-2 other similarly sized programs)/dev/sda2 (/home) 120GB (really whatever isn't used for the other 3 partitions)/dev/sda3 (swap) 6GB (probably should be 8GB for 4GB RAM)/dev/sda4 (/) 10GB (might bump to 12GB if you want to install Gnome as well as KDE, but I've never been higher than ~75% use with KDE only + lots of stuff)
This allows you to do a new install on /dev/sda4 in the future without disrupting /home.Paul

Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Guus

I have for years kept Kubuntu and Windows on the same
physical drive.

Currently for a 64-bin install:

/dev/sda1 (WinXP) 30GB (same is probably OK for Win7 if you
have MS Office and 1-2 other similarly sized programs)
/dev/sda2 (/home) 120GB (really whatever isn't used for the
other 3 partitions)
/dev/sda3 (swap) 6GB (probably should be 8GB for 4GB RAM)
/dev/sda4 (/) 10GB (might bump to 12GB if you want to
install Gnome as well as KDE, but I've never been higher than
~75% use with KDE only + lots of stuff)

This allows you to do a new install on /dev/sda4 in the
future without disrupting /home.
Paul

The thing to remember is to always keep the directories where you
install separate from your data, so you can install without fear for
data.

Do remember to backup stuff, at least backup your configuration
files in /etc or elsewhere, scripts (cron!), logfiles, etc.

If you are going to change the partition layout, make sure you know
or have printed the current layout, so you dont overwrite essential
files.

Another thing is to remember that in your home directory KDE uses a
hidden directory to store contact data etc. I once lost my contact
file, because I thought all those hidden directories were only
configuration!

P.S. please dont top post.

Not particularly Kubuntu, but would appreciate some
partitioning advice.

I've an asus laptop with an SD 120GIG drive + 750G second
drive. The laptop

came with just Win7 on the SD drive. I installed Kubuntu 11
on the second

drive. *Now, I never ever boot into Windows, though for some
irrational reason

(maybe because it is a licenced copy) I'm loathe to wipe it
in case "I ever

need it".

Cannot help you there, that is your decision. Personally, I use
Windows only for games (think Wow, battlefield).

I wonder if it would be possible to wipe the Kubuntu
partition and re-install

a virgin Kubuntu 12, but partially on the 120Gig SD drive,
to get the faster

boot up speed, if so I'd have to manually tell the installer
what partitions

go where and what size and I'm not sure what to do during
the install. I'm

happy to shrink the 120G partition with a partion manager
prior to the

install.

If you have a 120G disk, you could probably install all of / on that
disk. However, if you install /boot as a separate partition on your
SD drive, that should suffice for fast boot.

Be sure to have both / and /boot separate from your data.

If you already have linux installed, use Partition Manager or KDE
partition manager to change, add or delete partitions. I have done
it a lot, but I used gparted because I was using gnome at the time.
It's not particularly difficult, just make sure you have a
restorable backup before you start. Usually, having a backup makes
sure nothing goes wrong. Not having one is just asking for
irreversible trouble.....

Any basic pointers appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Kind regards, Guus Bonnema.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM

On Tuesday 10 April 2012 23:25:42 Guus wrote:
> On 10/04/12 14:55, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> > I have for years kept Kubuntu and Windows on the same physical drive.
> >
> > Currently for a 64-bin install:
> >
> > /dev/sda1 (WinXP) 30GB (same is probably OK for Win7 if you have MS
> > Office and 1-2 other similarly sized programs)
> > /dev/sda2 (/home) 120GB (really whatever isn't used for the other 3
> > partitions)
> > /dev/sda3 (swap) 6GB (probably should be 8GB for 4GB RAM)
> > /dev/sda4 (/) 10GB (might bump to 12GB if you want to install Gnome as
> > well as KDE, but I've never been higher than ~75% use with KDE only +
> > lots of stuff)
> >
> > This allows you to do a new install on /dev/sda4 in the future without
> > disrupting /home.
> > Paul
>
> The thing to remember is to always keep the directories where you
> install separate from your data, so you can install without fear for data.
> Do remember to backup stuff, at least backup your configuration files in
> /etc or elsewhere, scripts (cron!), logfiles, etc.
> If you are going to change the partition layout, make sure you know or
> have printed the current layout, so you dont overwrite essential files.
>
> Another thing is to remember that in your home directory KDE uses a
> hidden directory to store contact data etc. I once lost my contact file,
> because I thought all those hidden directories were only configuration!
>
> P.S. please dont top post.

Thanks, will try this /boot and / on the SDRAM drive, think I'll have room,
and have used gParted before.

Regards

Richard

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM

On Tuesday 10 April 2012 22:55:34 Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I have for years kept Kubuntu and Windows on the same physical drive.
>

> Currently for a 64-bin install:
>

> /dev/sda1 (WinXP) 30GB (same is probably OK for Win7 if you have MS Office
> and 1-2 other similarly sized programs) /dev/sda2 (/home) 120GB (really
> whatever isn't used for the other 3 partitions) /dev/sda3 (swap) 6GB
> (probably should be 8GB for 4GB RAM)
> /dev/sda4 (/) 10GB (might bump to 12GB if you want to install Gnome as well
> as KDE, but I've never been higher than ~75% use with KDE only + lots of
> stuff)

Thanks for your reply - will work along these lines.