Old 06-18-2008, 03:44 PM
"Thom Paine"

Default Renaming a User

I was wondering if it's possible to quickly and easily switch a
username on a samba controlled domain. I have a user who got married
and I need to change her login from sgillies to scampbell. Is there a
quick way I could do this, or do I need to create a new user and then
copy her data over? I've been reading, but I can't find anything to
clearly tell me if I can or not.

This in on a Windows XP network with a Samba DC.

Thanks.

--
-=/>Thom

Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 11:44 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> I was wondering if it's possible to quickly and easily switch a
> username on a samba controlled domain. I have a user who got married
> and I need to change her login from sgillies to scampbell. Is there a
> quick way I could do this, or do I need to create a new user and then
> copy her data over? I've been reading, but I can't find anything to
> clearly tell me if I can or not.
>
> This in on a Windows XP network with a Samba DC.
----
sure but you'd have to change...

/etc/passwd (or wherever user accounts are stored)
/etc/shadow (or wherever user passwords are stored)
the users $HOME directory
smbpasswd (or tdbpassdb or wherever samba user accounts/passwords are
stored)

If you were using LDAP, you'd probably already understand this and could
make the changes.

I wouldn't recommend doing any of that...a user account is a user
account and they should just continue to use the same login.

If you create a new account and try to 'move' stuff, you are gonna have
to use the profile migration tool from Microsoft to move the users
'profile' to the new account.

Craig

Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM
"Thom Paine"

Prollie just as easy to create a new account and then move stuff. I am
wanting to move to LDAP, but haven't got that figured out yet.And by
moving I just meant copying the documents to a common folder, and then
back into the users documents folder. Exporting email and reimporting
under the new account.

Thanks for the reply Craig.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 11:44 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
>> I was wondering if it's possible to quickly and easily switch a
>> username on a samba controlled domain. I have a user who got married
>> and I need to change her login from sgillies to scampbell. Is there a
>> quick way I could do this, or do I need to create a new user and then
>> copy her data over? I've been reading, but I can't find anything to
>> clearly tell me if I can or not.
>>
>> This in on a Windows XP network with a Samba DC.
> ----
> sure but you'd have to change...
>
> /etc/passwd (or wherever user accounts are stored)
> /etc/shadow (or wherever user passwords are stored)
> the users $HOME directory
> smbpasswd (or tdbpassdb or wherever samba user accounts/passwords are
> stored)
>
> If you were using LDAP, you'd probably already understand this and could
> make the changes.
>
> I wouldn't recommend doing any of that...a user account is a user
> account and they should just continue to use the same login.
>
> If you create a new account and try to 'move' stuff, you are gonna have
> to use the profile migration tool from Microsoft to move the users
> 'profile' to the new account.
>
> Craig

-=/>Thom

Old 06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
"Thom Paine"

Prollie just as easy to create a new account and then move stuff. I am
wanting to move to LDAP, but haven't got that figured out yet.And by
moving I just meant copying the documents to a common folder, and then
back into the users documents folder. Exporting email and reimporting
under the new account.

Thanks for the reply Craig.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 11:44 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
>> I was wondering if it's possible to quickly and easily switch a
>> username on a samba controlled domain. I have a user who got married
>> and I need to change her login from sgillies to scampbell. Is there a
>> quick way I could do this, or do I need to create a new user and then
>> copy her data over? I've been reading, but I can't find anything to
>> clearly tell me if I can or not.
>>
>> This in on a Windows XP network with a Samba DC.
> ----
> sure but you'd have to change...
>
> /etc/passwd (or wherever user accounts are stored)
> /etc/shadow (or wherever user passwords are stored)
> the users $HOME directory
> smbpasswd (or tdbpassdb or wherever samba user accounts/passwords are
> stored)
>
> If you were using LDAP, you'd probably already understand this and could
> make the changes.
>
> I wouldn't recommend doing any of that...a user account is a user
> account and they should just continue to use the same login.
>
> If you create a new account and try to 'move' stuff, you are gonna have
> to use the profile migration tool from Microsoft to move the users
> 'profile' to the new account.
>
> Craig

-=/>Thom

Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
John Cornelius

Craig White wrote:

[...]

User names on Fedora are changed in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. You may
or may not want to rename her home directory. Samba may also require
changes depending on how it's configured.

In Windows you can change the user name without changing the profile or
anything else. If it's active directory you do it on the server by
editing the account in the user administration tool. On XP you do it in
the (other) user account tool from the control panel.

LDAP would be the right way to do it but.......

People get married all the time so it's fairly trivial and shouldn't
effect the operation since on all 3 environments the user name is just a
label but the user is identified by a numeric user id that you will not
change.

John Cornelius

Old 06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
"Deron Meranda"

>>> I was wondering if it's possible to quickly and easily switch a
>>> username on a samba controlled domain.

>> sure but you'd have to change...
>>
>> /etc/passwd (or wherever user accounts are stored)
>> /etc/shadow (or wherever user passwords are stored)
>> the users $HOME directory
>> smbpasswd (or tdbpassdb or wherever samba user accounts/passwords are
>> stored)

Also, if you are using locally stored email, check for files under
/var/spool/mail, and rename them to match the new username
where needed.

Do the same thing for crontab files too. Look under /var/spool/cron

--
Deron Meranda