Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default DNS: Question about setting abc.com record

I have several DNS servers and wondered if the following
record entry is properly set for all of my DNS servers:

$TTL 172800
@ IN SOA ns1.abc.com. admin.abc.com. (
1 ; serial
3H ; refresh
15M ; retry
1W ; expiry
1D ) ; minimum
;============ Nameserver ================
@ IN NS ns1.abc.com.
@ IN NS ns2.abc.com.
@ IN NS ns3.abc.com.
;============ Mail Exchange =============
@ IN MX 10 mail1.abc.com.
@ IN MX 20 mail2.abc.com.
@ IN MX 30 mail3.abc.com.
@ IN TXT v=spf1 a mx -all
;============ Hosts ======================
@ IN A 10.1.0.1
mail1 IN A 10.1.0.1
mail2 IN A 10.1.0.2
mail3 IN A 10.1.0.3
ns1 IN A 10.1.0.1
ns2 IN A 10.1.0.2
ns3 IN A 10.1.0.2
;========================================

In particular, I am focusing on record:
@ IN A 10.1.0.1

The reason I have set all of my DNS zones for the above record
for all of my DNS servers is because if had I set this record for the
actual localhost IP address, it appears that if I send mail on the
localhost, the localhost would receive the email I sent. For example,
sending mail to: joe@abc.com would be received at the localhost instead
of being sent to mail{1,2,3}.abc.com. Worse, any localhost programs
attempting to send emails to "root@abc.com" would fail to be delivered
to one of the MX list.

So, the question is, must each DNS server have it's own real IP address
in the '@' record? If so, how do I get around this?

Kind regards,
Dan

Old 06-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Howard Wilkinson

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

[...]

Dan,

do you have any other services with the network address 10.1.0.1 which
you want to refer to as 'abc.com'? If not you do not need the 'A' record
just after the Hosts line. Otherwise for a simple internal network this
look reasonable. However, do you not have any other hosts you need to
address? If so the you need their 'A' records.

Howard.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Title: Re: DNS: Question about setting abc.com record

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> I have several DNS servers and wondered if the
following

> record entry is properly set for all of my DNS
servers:

> $TTL 172800

> @******* IN SOA ns1.abc.com. admin.abc.com. (

>*************** 1************** ; serial

>*************** 3H*********** ; refresh

>*************** 15M********* ; retry

>*************** 1W*********** ; expiry

>*************** 1D )********** ; minimum

> ;============ Nameserver ================

> @************** IN NS********** ns1.abc.com.

> @************** IN NS********** ns2.abc.com.

> @************** IN NS********** ns3.abc.com.

> ;============ Mail Exchange =============

> @************** IN MX** 10***** mail1.abc.com.

> @************** IN MX** 20***** mail2.abc.com.

> @************** IN MX** 30***** mail3.abc.com.

> @************** IN TXT********* v=spf1 a mx -all

> ;============ Hosts ======================

> @************** IN A*********** 10.1.0.1

> mail1********** IN A*********** 10.1.0.1

> mail2********** IN A*********** 10.1.0.2

> mail3********** IN A*********** 10.1.0.3

> ns1************ IN A*********** 10.1.0.1

> ns2************ IN A*********** 10.1.0.2

> ns3************ IN A*********** 10.1.0.2

> ;========================================

> In particular, I am focusing on record:

> @************** IN A*********** 10.1.0.1

> The reason I have set all of my DNS zones for the
above record

> for all of my DNS servers is because if had I set
this record for the

> actual localhost IP address, it appears that if I
send mail on the

> localhost, the localhost would receive the email
I sent. For example,

> sending mail to: joe@abc.com would be received at
the localhost instead

> of being sent to mail{1,2,3}.abc.com.* Worse, any
localhost programs

> attempting to send emails to "root@abc.com" would
fail to be delivered

> to one of the MX list.

> So, the question is, must each DNS server have
it's own real IP address

> in the '@' record?* If so, how do I get around
this?

> Kind regards,

> Dan

Dan,

do you have any other services with the network
address 10.1.0.1 which

you want to refer to as 'abc.com'? If not you do not
need the 'A' record

just after the Hosts line. Otherwise for a simple
internal network this

look reasonable. However, do you not have any other
hosts you need to

address? If so the you need their 'A' records.

Howard.

Yes, I have services at 10.1.0.1 as well as at several other

hosts.* The main reason that I use the @ is so that I can

use 'abc.com' such as dan@abc.com or to simply type

abc.com in the web-browser's URL line and it would get

resolved.

What I found was, if I was at host one.abc.com, which had

a DNS server and had @ record set to it's own IP address,

and a local account "dan", sending mail to dan@abc.com

would be received locally instead of being delivered

according to the MX records.* That is why I set the @

record for all of my DNS servers to the same IP address

and not to each DNS servers actual IP address.

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Dan

Old 06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Howard Wilkinson

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> [...]

internal network this

look reasonable. However, do you not have any other
hosts you need to

address? If so the you need their 'A' records.

Howard.

Yes, I have services at 10.1.0.1 as well as at several other

hosts.* The main reason that I use the @ is so that I can

use 'abc.com' such as dan@abc.com
or to simply type

abc.com in the web-browser's URL line and it would get

resolved.

What I found was, if I was at host one.abc.com, which had

a DNS server and had @ record set to it's own IP address,

and a local account "dan", sending mail to dan@abc.com

would be received locally instead of being delivered

according to the MX records.* That is why I set the @

record for all of my DNS servers to the same IP address

and not to each DNS servers actual IP address.

The point I was making was that the address associated with the '@'
record is independent of the name server information. The name server
address data is correctly listed later in the file. Thus you could if
you did not have any other services list the name servers without that
record.

Your email SHOULD be delivered using the MX records data. Which again
is independent from the '@' address record. I say SHOULD because you
may have a mail routing issues depending on the mailer you use and how
it it configured. Sendmail can be set up so that it will deliver
locally even in the presence of relevant MX records. This has been the
default in some distributions. I do not know about the current Fedora
set up as we use custom configurations for all of our systems.

So I suspect you need to look at the mailer set up not the address
record entries in the DNS arena.

Howard.

P.S. I have copied this back to the mailing list, but I suspect we have
broken the thread.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> I have several DNS servers and wondered if
the
following

> record entry is properly set for all of my
DNS
servers:

> $TTL 172800

> @******* IN SOA ns1.abc.com. admin.abc.com. (

>*************** 1************** ; serial

>*************** 3H*********** ; refresh

>*************** 15M********* ; retry

>*************** 1W*********** ; expiry

>*************** 1D )********** ; minimum

> ;============ Nameserver ================

> @************** IN NS********** ns1.abc.com.

> @************** IN NS********** ns2.abc.com.

> @************** IN NS********** ns3.abc.com.

> ;============ Mail Exchange =============

> @************** IN MX** 10***** mail1.abc.com.

> @************** IN MX** 20***** mail2.abc.com.

> @************** IN MX** 30***** mail3.abc.com.

> @************** IN TXT********* v=spf1 a mx
-all

> [...]

address data is correctly listed later in the file. Thus you could if
you did not have any other services list the name servers without that
record.

Your email SHOULD be delivered using the MX records data. Which again
is independent from the '@' address record. I say SHOULD because you
may have a mail routing issues depending on the mailer you use and how
it it configured. Sendmail can be set up so that it will deliver
locally even in the presence of relevant MX records. This has been the
default in some distributions. I do not know about the current Fedora
set up as we use custom configurations for all of our systems.

So I suspect you need to look at the mailer set up not the address
record entries in the DNS arena.

Howard.

P.S. I have copied this back to the mailing list, but I suspect we have

Ok, thanks for this information!* I was not sure what was going

on and why.* I will look into sendmail to see what is going on.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

P.S. I noticed that you have email receipt requests turned on and

if that was intended, never mind.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 08:38 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I have several DNS servers and wondered if the following
> record entry is properly set for all of my DNS servers:
>
> $TTL 172800
> @ IN SOA ns1.abc.com. admin.abc.com. (
> 1 ; serial
> 3H ; refresh
> 15M ; retry
> 1W ; expiry
> 1D ) ; minimum
> ;============ Nameserver ================
> @ IN NS ns1.abc.com.
> @ IN NS ns2.abc.com.
> @ IN NS ns3.abc.com.

If you have three name servers for your domain, then you would list them
all as you've done. Though I think you'll find the "@" is actually
redundant, BIND would list them like the following, by default:

IN NS ns1.abc.com.
IN NS ns2.abc.com.
IN NS ns3.abc.com.

> ;============ Mail Exchange =============
> @ IN MX 10 mail1.abc.com.
> @ IN MX 20 mail2.abc.com.
> @ IN MX 30 mail3.abc.com.

Again, this looks fine, you'd list all MX records for your domain.

Again, the @ is probably redundant. I'm presuming you're using BIND, as
that comes with Fedora. Other name servers might write their internal
records differently than BIND.

> @ IN TXT v=spf1 a mx -all

This TXT record would only apply to "@", which is 10.1.0.1. If you
wanted to give each mailserver entry a TXT record, you'd want to write
individual TXT records for each host. One way to do that would be as
I've jammed into the quoted text below. In this case, the TXT record is
associated with the entry above it.

> ;============ Hosts ======================
> @ IN A 10.1.0.1
> mail1 IN A 10.1.0.1