Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
"joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de"

Default Deleting all messages of a collapsed thread in thunderbird

Hi, I'm running F9 with thunderbird-2.0.0.14-1.fc9.i386 and have the
following question:

Is it possible to delete all messages of a thread, which is collapsed,
without opening the thread?

All advices are welcome.

Regards

Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 15:21 +0200, joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de wrote:
> Hi, I'm running F9 with thunderbird-2.0.0.14-1.fc9.i386 and have the
> following question:
>
> Is it possible to delete all messages of a thread, which is collapsed,
> without opening the thread?

Try this: close the preview pane and drag the thread to the Trash. Note:
this is just speculation as I haven't tried it.

poc

Old 06-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi, I'm running F9 with thunderbird-2.0.0.14-1.fc9.i386 and have the
following question:

Is it possible to delete all messages of a thread, which is collapsed,
without opening the thread?

Try this: close the preview pane and drag the thread to the Trash. Note:
this is just speculation as I haven't tried it.

Hi Patrick,

I'm sorry, but does not help: Only the uppermost (the thread leader
message) will be moved to the trash.

JB

poc

Old 06-18-2008, 05:01 PM

Hi, I'm running F9 with thunderbird-2.0.0.14-1.fc9.i386 and have the
following question:

Is it possible to delete all messages of a thread, which is
collapsed, without opening the thread?

Try this: close the preview pane and drag the thread to the Trash.
Note:

this is just speculation as I haven't tried it.

Hi Patrick,

I'm sorry, but does not help: Only the uppermost (the thread leader
message) will be moved to the trash.

JB

poc

This is a little bit of a workaround but it works for me.

If you install the extension called Buttons
<http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/buttons.php> in Thunderbird, one of
the new buttons you can place on the tool bar will delete an entire
thread.

I hit F8 in Thunderbird to remove the display or preview pane (leaves
only the list of email by subject line) highlight any one of the email
items in a thread, and the whole thread is removed.

HTH, good luck,

~~R

Old 06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
John Burton

rlengland@verizon.net wrote:

[...]

Another way to do it is simply click on the "Threads" icon for a thread
of messages. This will "select" the entire thread. Once selected, then
simply click on the delete icon...

John

Old 06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 13:04 -0400, John Burton wrote:
> rlengland@verizon.net wrote:

> >> Hi Patrick,
> >>
> >> I'm sorry, but does not help: Only the uppermost (the thread leader
> >> message) will be moved to the trash.
> >>
> >> JB

> >> --
> >> Joachim Backes <joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de>
> >>

> > This is a little bit of a workaround but it works for me.
> >
> > If you install the extension called Buttons
> > <http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/buttons.php> in Thunderbird, one
> > of the new buttons you can place on the tool bar will delete an entire
> > thread.
> >
> > I hit F8 in Thunderbird to remove the display or preview pane (leaves
> > only the list of email by subject line) highlight any one of the
> > email items in a thread, and the whole thread is removed.
> Another way to do it is simply click on the "Threads" icon for a thread
> of messages. This will "select" the entire thread. Once selected, then
> simply click on the delete icon...

He doesn't want to open the thread, which is necessary in order to
select it (selecting with Ctrl-Shift-A will open it if it's closed).
OTOH if by opening he means viewing, then yes he could do that by
closing the preview pane first (F8).

poc

Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 AM
"joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de"

rlengland@verizon.net wrote:

Hi, I'm running F9 with thunderbird-2.0.0.14-1.fc9.i386 and have the
following question:

Is it possible to delete all messages of a thread, which is
collapsed, without opening the thread?

Try this: close the preview pane and drag the thread to the Trash. Note:
this is just speculation as I haven't tried it.

Hi Patrick,

I'm sorry, but does not help: Only the uppermost (the thread leader
message) will be moved to the trash.

JB

poc

This is a little bit of a workaround but it works for me.

If you install the extension called Buttons
<http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/buttons.php> in Thunderbird, one of
the new buttons you can place on the tool bar will delete an entire thread.

Hi ~~R,

this is exactly I needed. Thank you for your support.

JB