Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Who controls the F-9 KDE panel?

I have a few minor problems with Fedora-9/KDE,
and was thinking of posting a couple of bugzillas,
but was not sure which KDE (or Xorg) component was involved.

Eg it is difficult to start most applications - konsole, knode, etc -
by clicking on the icon in the panel.
I have to press for several seconds, and then press again.
But who is in charge of this?

Another minor problem is that when I highlight one desktop
in the multi-desktop icon, and then start an application,
it often starts in another desktop (unlike in F-8).
Again I'm not sure who or what is in charge of this.

Third example: many applications are not "remembered"
when I shutdown and start again.
Can I eg ask that konsole should start up in desktop 1
when I re-boot.
Again, F-8 was much better at recalling previous settings.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 18 June 2008 13:08:57 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have a few minor problems with Fedora-9/KDE,
> and was thinking of posting a couple of bugzillas,
> but was not sure which KDE (or Xorg) component was involved.

Not speaking as an expert, but I think you need 'core components' (name from
memory), but read on.

> Eg it is difficult to start most applications - konsole, knode, etc -
> by clicking on the icon in the panel.
> I have to press for several seconds, and then press again.
> But who is in charge of this?

Are you sure you're up to date? I used to have that problem, but lately my F9
box has been normally responsive. I still have that problem on the Mandriva
KDE4 installation. It's a kde problem, though, so their updates are passed
to Fedora and appear quickly.

> Another minor problem is that when I highlight one desktop
> in the multi-desktop icon, and then start an application,
> it often starts in another desktop (unlike in F-8).
> Again I'm not sure who or what is in charge of this.

I haven't tested this, but again, it sounds like a kde problem.

> Third example: many applications are not "remembered"
> when I shutdown and start again.
> Can I eg ask that konsole should start up in desktop 1
> when I re-boot.
> Again, F-8 was much better at recalling previous settings.

Many things that were good in kde3 are not available in kde 4.0. Many of
them, probably most, will be available in kde 4.1. By 4.2 we should have
almost everything. 4.1 is due out at the end of July, so we should have it
in Fedora by early August.

I know it doesn't solve your problems, but it's probable that bug reports have
been raised on bugs.kde.org for all of these. Try searching there, and add
to the reports if you can.

Anne

Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Kevin Kofler

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:
> I have a few minor problems with Fedora-9/KDE,
> and was thinking of posting a couple of bugzillas,
> but was not sure which KDE (or Xorg) component was involved.

kdebase-workspace

But most of those bugs would probably be better filed upstream at:
http://bugs.kde.org

Kevin Kofler