Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Martin Schoch

Default Upgrade from 8 to 9: Yes or no ?

Hello ,

silly - I know ;-) I have a Fedora 8 installation which runs perfectly
- with webserver as Intranet with many modules -- runs without any problems.

But Fedora 9 is out - should I make the upgrade or should I follow
"Never change a running system"?

As I understood many postings, an upgrade would be a very good idea -
much better and more stable would be a very fresh Installation. Only
then I would have to re-compile all my additional modules - I really
do not know whether the effort worthwhile ...

Someone made similar considerations and then did the upgrade then?

--
Best regards,
Martin mailto:mschoch@gmail.com

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:31:49 +0200
Martin Schoch <mschoch@gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone made similar considerations and then did the upgrade then?

I always keep extra partitions around where I can install from
scratch the new release and decide if things work well enough to
switch (also allows me to keep the previous release around
in case I need to go back to it and to check and see how I did
things so I can replicate all the features in the new partition).

So far, my fedora 9 boot partition has not yet become my default
system - fedora 9 is far and away the most beta quality fedora
release I've ever seen. Things have gotten better with updates,
but there are still things I'm trying to get to work right
(last night when doing some more fedora 9 testing, I just noticed
I get no audio from mplayer - haven't yet tried to figure that
out, but it is the sort of thing I need fixed before I can
decide to change my default boot partition).

Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Timothy Murphy

Tom Horsley wrote:

> I always keep extra partitions around where I can install from
> scratch the new release and decide if things work well enough to
> switch (also allows me to keep the previous release around
> in case I need to go back to it and to check and see how I did
> things so I can replicate all the features in the new partition).

One slight problem with this is that if one shares /home
between the two versions this could conceivably cause problems.

I've gone over to Fedora-9 on a new partition,
but yesterday reverted to Fedora-8 to try to sort out
problems with openssl under F-9.

I use KDE; and it struck me that KDE under F-8 might make changes
to files in ~/.kde which would be incompatible with KDE-4.
As it happened this did not seem to happen,
but I created a user "guest" to use in future on Fedora-8 just in case.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:42:43 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> > I always keep extra partitions around where I can install from
> > scratch the new release and decide if things work well enough to
> > switch (also allows me to keep the previous release around
> > in case I need to go back to it and to check and see how I did
> > things so I can replicate all the features in the new partition).
>
> One slight problem with this is that if one shares /home
> between the two versions this could conceivably cause problems.

You can share /home just fine, but better create separate user
accounts for the different distribution releases.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.02 1.04 1.04

Old 06-18-2008, 12:21 PM
"Robert Karge"

Martin,

I have a wonderful running F8 just like you.

However, early on in my quest to use Fedora, I read an article from the Community gurus that
you should never trust using the upgrade method.

I have followed that religiously.* I would suggest that you try a copy of VirtualBox. It

is VM product which is now owned by Sun Microsystems.* It is still free and comes in
Windows and Linux.

I use it to load new releases of Fedora and also as VM of Windows XP Pro.

Go to the Sun website and lookit up.* It loaded for me perfectly and works as

advertised.

Thanks and good luck.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Tom Horsley

Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

> One slight problem with this is that if one shares /home
> between the two versions this could conceivably cause problems.

True. I usually use a fresh /home during testing, and only point
to the old /home once I'm sure I want to switch. If I find problems
after the switch, I can usually fix them by renaming any
old ~/.<whatever> files or directories (if I can figure out
which ones are causing the problems :-).

Old 06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Kevin Martin

<snip>

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Martin
Schoch <mschoch@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hello
,

silly - I know ;-) I have a Fedora 8 installation which runs perfectly

- with webserver as Intranet with many modules -- runs without any
problems.

But Fedora 9 is out - should I make the upgrade or should I follow

"Never change a running system"?

As I understood many postings, an upgrade would be a very good idea -

much better and more stable would be a very fresh Installation. Only

then I would have to re-compile all my additional modules - I really

do not know whether the effort worthwhile ...

Someone made similar considerations and then did the upgrade then?

--

Best regards,

*Martin * * * * * * * * * * * * *mailto:mschoch@gmail.com

FWIW, F8 is getting to be almost as unstable as F9 with the recent
kernel updates to try to stay in lockstep with F9.* I recently updated
my kernel to the 2.6.25-4.10 version and I've had the system lockup
ever since.* At first I thought it was gnome updates that was causing
it so I moved over to using xdm and fluxbox, but that hasn't fixed the
lockups.* It's at the point where I need to power off the box with the
power button and then restart it to get the laptop back up.* So beware
kernel updates whether it's F8 or F9 at this time would be my advice
and don't go to F9 until they get things straightened out.* Too bad...I
advocate the use of Linux over Windows to everybody I talk to, show
them my laptop running Linux with my apps running, and always tell them
how stable it is.* I'll have to be careful with that now as it's not
nearly as stable as it has been in the past.

Kevin

Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Andrew Kelly

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 09:05 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:42:43 +0100
> Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
>
> > One slight problem with this is that if one shares /home
> > between the two versions this could conceivably cause problems.
>
> True. I usually use a fresh /home during testing, and only point
> to the old /home once I'm sure I want to switch. If I find problems
> after the switch, I can usually fix them by renaming any
> old ~/.<whatever> files or directories (if I can figure out
> which ones are causing the problems :-).

I've also found it very helpful to have a large partition that I just
keep mounting at ~/myJtuff in every distro. That way each distro can
create it's own .dirs and all my other stuff is still available but not
causing any conflicts. It means you have to use IMAP if you want to
share mail across distros, and you have to do a little dancing to have
common bookmarks, but all things are manageable somehow.
Not really the most elegant of solutions, but I've gotten used to it
over the years.

Andy

Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 18 June 2008 15:58:08 Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 09:05 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:42:43 +0100
> >
> > Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
> > > One slight problem with this is that if one shares /home
> > > between the two versions this could conceivably cause problems.
> >
> > True. I usually use a fresh /home during testing, and only point
> > to the old /home once I'm sure I want to switch. If I find problems
> > after the switch, I can usually fix them by renaming any
> > old ~/.<whatever> files or directories (if I can figure out
> > which ones are causing the problems :-).
>
> I've also found it very helpful to have a large partition that I just
> keep mounting at ~/myJtuff in every distro. That way each distro can
> create it's own .dirs and all my other stuff is still available but not
> causing any conflicts. It means you have to use IMAP if you want to
> share mail across distros, and you have to do a little dancing to have
> common bookmarks, but all things are manageable somehow.
> Not really the most elegant of solutions, but I've gotten used to it
> over the years.

Common bookmarks are one thing I lack at the moment. What dance steps are
needed?

Anne

Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:31:49 +0200,
Martin Schoch <mschoch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> silly - I know ;-) I have a Fedora 8 installation which runs perfectly
> - with webserver as Intranet with many modules -- runs without any problems.

I think that answers your question. You don't appear to have a reason to
upgrade, so don't.

> As I understood many postings, an upgrade would be a very good idea -
> much better and more stable would be a very fresh Installation. Only
> then I would have to re-compile all my additional modules - I really
> do not know whether the effort worthwhile ...

For some people, but they are apparently using the system differently from you,
as you claim to have no problems.

You can certainly look at the new features for F9 and maybe you will decide
that there is something you want. But if you don't have some reason to upgrade.
doing so seems to be unnecessary work and risk. Even if you do want to
evaluate F9 (as eventually you will want to move off F8), you probably don't
want to do it on your production machine.