FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default Upgrade from 8 to 9: Yes or no ?

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 13:59:21 +0200,
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You can share /home just fine, but better create separate user
> accounts for the different distribution releases.

You might occasionally get burnt by selinux labelling changing for /home
by doing this. I would expect this to be pretty rare, but something you
want to keep in the back of your mind.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Andrew Kelly
 
Default Upgrade from 8 to 9: Yes or no ?

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 16:09 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2008 15:58:08 Andrew Kelly wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 09:05 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:42:43 +0100
> > >
> > > Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
> > > > One slight problem with this is that if one shares /home
> > > > between the two versions this could conceivably cause problems.
> > >
> > > True. I usually use a fresh /home during testing, and only point
> > > to the old /home once I'm sure I want to switch. If I find problems
> > > after the switch, I can usually fix them by renaming any
> > > old ~/.<whatever> files or directories (if I can figure out
> > > which ones are causing the problems :-).
> >
> > I've also found it very helpful to have a large partition that I just
> > keep mounting at ~/myJtuff in every distro. That way each distro can
> > create it's own .dirs and all my other stuff is still available but not
> > causing any conflicts. It means you have to use IMAP if you want to
> > share mail across distros, and you have to do a little dancing to have
> > common bookmarks, but all things are manageable somehow.
> > Not really the most elegant of solutions, but I've gotten used to it
> > over the years.
> >
> Common bookmarks are one thing I lack at the moment. What dance steps are
> needed?
>
> Anne


Well, ideally I guess you'd write some scripting to automate things
completely, but I haven't yet because I haven't really had the need,
plus I haven't yet investigated the mechanics of importing bookmarks
from the command line for various browsers.
I use almost exclusively Firefox or Iceweasel, so I'm not really
confronted with compatibility issues.

My current personal kludge is to keep bookmarks.html on the partition
that I always mount under my homeDir in whatever distro I'm booting, and
then link to that from the various distro-specific locations. And I make
an effort to sort my bookmarks sensibly. Generic, distro-agnosic links
get filled "at the top" and clustered in folders where appropriate.
Distro specific links get a separate folder in the "personal toolbar"
space.

Andy

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Upgrade from 8 to 9: Yes or no ?

On Thursday 19 June 2008 12:12:31 Andrew Kelly wrote:
> Well, ideally I guess you'd write some scripting to automate things
> completely, but I haven't yet because I haven't really had the need,
> plus I haven't yet investigated the mechanics of importing bookmarks
> from the command line for various browsers.
> I use almost exclusively Firefox or Iceweasel, so I'm not really
> confronted with compatibility issues.
>
I'd really like to find some way of keeping konqueror and firefox bookmarks
sync'd, but it seems far from easy. Then there's the problem of various
boxes :-(

> My current personal kludge is to keep bookmarks.html on the partition
> that I always mount under my homeDir in whatever distro I'm booting, and
> then link to that from the various distro-specific locations. And I make
> an effort to sort my bookmarks sensibly. Generic, distro-agnosic links
> get filled "at the top" and clustered in folders where appropriate.
> Distro specific links get a separate folder in the "personal toolbar"

OK. Thanks for the info. Something to think about, anyway.

Anne

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default Upgrade from 8 to 9: Yes or no ?

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 12:32 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'd really like to find some way of keeping konqueror and firefox
> bookmarks
> sync'd, but it seems far from easy. Then there's the problem of
> various
> boxes :-(

Not directly useful for Konqui, but Foxmarks on FF has worked well for
me on several platforms/machines. Note for the paranoid: Firefox does
not currently encrypt your data on its servers.

I just installed Weave, a new add-on for FF3 that's in testing. This
does encrypt everything and can optionally backup not only your
bookmarks but also cookies, passwords and history. I believe you can
also point it at your own server.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Upgrade from 8 to 9: Yes or no ?

On Thursday 19 June 2008 15:04:01 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 12:32 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I'd really like to find some way of keeping konqueror and firefox
> > bookmarks
> > sync'd, but it seems far from easy. Then there's the problem of
> > various
> > boxes :-(
>
> Not directly useful for Konqui, but Foxmarks on FF has worked well for
> me on several platforms/machines. Note for the paranoid: Firefox does
> not currently encrypt your data on its servers.
>
> I just installed Weave, a new add-on for FF3 that's in testing. This
> does encrypt everything and can optionally backup not only your
> bookmarks but also cookies, passwords and history. I believe you can
> also point it at your own server.
>
Worth looking at, thanks

Anne


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org