Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Tom Horsley

Default opinions on disc burner utils?

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:48:45 -0500
Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net> wrote:

> brasero (0.5.2 and 0.6.1)
> gcombust (1:0.1.55)
> gnomebaker (0.6.0 and 0.6.2)
> xcdroast (.98a15-13 and -14) Does this do audio CDs only?

You must have missed k3b, I used it all the time and it
works great for me (but I've never done audio CDs, just
data and iso burning and wot-not).

Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Michael Eager

Tom Horsley wrote:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:48:45 -0500
Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net> wrote:

brasero (0.5.2 and 0.6.1)
gcombust (1:0.1.55)
gnomebaker (0.6.0 and 0.6.2)
xcdroast (.98a15-13 and -14) Does this do audio CDs only?

You must have missed k3b, I used it all the time and it
works great for me (but I've never done audio CDs, just
data and iso burning and wot-not).

I've stopped using any of the disk burning schemes I
used in the past. K3B has been very reliable.

--
Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077

Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 19:48 -0500, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Hello.
> I was hoping that, in Fedora 8, the coders would have fixed the
> nautilus-cd-burner bug (which prevents it from burning a disc unless
> some combo of options in the Config Editor is checked). HA!
>
> I fresh-installed F8 on one of my machines (which refused to burn with
> F7, no matter what combo I checked) - still won't work.
>
> So, I searched the repository (with the Package Manager), and found
> alternatives. But, so I don't have to spend a lot of time and effort
> checking out each, I'd like some feedback. I use gnome. (In case it
> matters -- all my other machines still have F7 - I don't know what F8
> has to offer.)
>
> brasero (0.5.2 and 0.6.1)
> gcombust (1:0.1.55)
> gnomebaker (0.6.0 and 0.6.2)
> xcdroast (.98a15-13 and -14) Does this do audio CDs only?
xcdroast will do data CDs also.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)"

> I'm wondering about GUI, ease of configuration, options, etc.

I concur with the others on the merits of k3b. It is
and excellent program. If you have used Easy CD Creator,
you will find K3B intuitive.

You will want to
yum install k3b

You will probably also want k3b-extras-nonfree
from livna to be able to handle mp3 files.
I believe rpmforge also has a package to enable
mp3 handling.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Robin Laing

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

I'm wondering about GUI, ease of configuration, options, etc.

I concur with the others on the merits of k3b. It is
and excellent program. If you have used Easy CD Creator,
you will find K3B intuitive.

You will want to
yum install k3b

You will probably also want k3b-extras-nonfree
from livna to be able to handle mp3 files.
I believe rpmforge also has a package to enable
mp3 handling.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ

I read a review of some Windows (Nero?) software that is trying to come
out with a Linux version of their software. The K3B software was much
better than the commercial software. This was a few years ago.

--
Robin Laing

Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Karl Larsen

Robin Laing wrote:

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

I'm wondering about GUI, ease of configuration, options, etc.

I concur with the others on the merits of k3b. It is
and excellent program. If you have used Easy CD Creator,
you will find K3B intuitive.

You will want to
yum install k3b

You will probably also want k3b-extras-nonfree
from livna to be able to handle mp3 files.
I believe rpmforge also has a package to enable
mp3 handling.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ

I read a review of some Windows (Nero?) software that is trying to
come out with a Linux version of their software. The K3B software was
much better than the commercial software. This was a few years ago.

Before you go looking, look within. I decided months ago to figure
out how the Gnome CD/DVD system worked. Like all it is a bit hard to
understand but I found the Help to be real and after just one drink
coaster I am now an expert. In fact I made a F7 and F8 DVD with this
software and both are 100% perfect.

I recommend the Gnome burner.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 PM
"Gerry Tool"

The only burning program I NEVER have trouble with is k3b. It is top
notch, and works just as fine in the Gnome environment as in the KDE
environment.

Gerry

Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 13:50 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> I read a review of some Windows (Nero?) software that is trying to
> come out with a Linux version of their software.

They did that, ages ago. What you got was less than you could already
do with your free software, and Nero Linux's GUI wasn't much different
from it, either.

The potential advantage to using Nero would have been a system that
could do all the hard work for you, for some special things, like the
full Windows versions did. But I didn't see the Linux version offering
those features last time I checked.

e.g. All the pallaver involved in making a DVD-video disc that just
works on most DVD players.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Michael Klinosky

Aaron:

> xcdroast (.98a15-13 and -14) Does this do audio CDs only?

xcdroast will do data CDs also.

How? (Every time I'd go to burn, it would show some audioCD-looking
interface. I searched the whole program - didn't see anything to change it.)

Gerry:

The only burning program I NEVER have trouble with is k3b. It is top
notch, and works just as fine in the Gnome environment as in the KDE
environment.

Well, I was just about to ask about using it on gnome!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Karl Larsen

Michael Klinosky wrote:

Aaron:

> xcdroast (.98a15-13 and -14) Does this do audio CDs only?

xcdroast will do data CDs also.

How? (Every time I'd go to burn, it would show some audioCD-looking
interface. I searched the whole program - didn't see anything to
change it.)

Gerry:

The only burning program I NEVER have trouble with is k3b. It is top
notch, and works just as fine in the Gnome environment as in the KDE
environment.

Well, I was just about to ask about using it on gnome!

If your using Gnome then use the Gnome cd/dvd burner. It works
great! It does take getting used to it. But no music settings :-)

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User