Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Alan Cox

Default Is "/usr/bin/passwd" working as devlers expected?

> and I cannot change my password. It is true that I had type a simple English word, but when I did with root, it only alerts me once and I was able to change the root password. Please tell me whethere this is normal happening or not.

The root user can jut edit the password file so the assumption made is
that the root user has a certain amount of senses and is owned by someone
with a minimal degree of competence.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Karl Larsen

Makoto Mizukami wrote:

Hello,

When I just tried to change password of my user account,
"/usr/bin/passwd" returned me messages like following:

-----
[((username))@localhost ~]$ passwd
Changing password for user ((username)).
Changing password for ((username)).
(current) UNIX password: New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based
on a dictionary word

New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
-----
and I cannot change my password. It is true that I had type a simple
English word, but when I did with root, it only alerts me once and I
was able to change the root password. Please tell me whethere this is
normal happening or not.

Thanks,
Makoto Mizukami

This is normal. You must have a good password to send it.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Gijs

Makoto Mizukami wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I just tried to change password of my user account,
> "/usr/bin/passwd" returned me messages like following:
> -----
> [((username))@localhost ~]$ passwd
> Changing password for user ((username)).
> Changing password for ((username)).
> (current) UNIX password: New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based
> on a dictionary word
> New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
> New UNIX password: BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
> passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
> -----
> and I cannot change my password. It is true that I had type a simple
> English word, but when I did with root, it only alerts me once and I
> was able to change the root password. Please tell me whethere this is
> normal happening or not.
>
> Thanks,
> Makoto Mizukami

Even if it is allowed in Fedora, would you really want a simple password
like this?
I'd suggest you choose a different password, maybe through the use of
pwgen or a different password-generator (though those are kinda hard to
remember).

Regards

Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Gijs

Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Gijs

Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Gijs

Gijs wrote:

Makoto Mizukami wrote:

[...]

Bleh, sorry about the spam, my provider's emailserver was acting up :S