Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
"Paul Smith"

Default Cifs mounting not working on F8

Dear All,

On F7, the following command worked fine during a pptp connection:

mount -t cifs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,user="myusername"
//myserver.uni.edut/myremotedir$ /mnt/iso

The very same command does not work on F8.

The command 'dmesg | tail' produces the following messages:

CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

On the other hand,

# ls -l /sbin/mount.cifs
ls: cannot access /sbin/mount.cifs: No such file or directory
#

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 12-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:58:06 +0000
"Paul Smith" <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:

> mount -t cifs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,user="myusername"
> //myserver.uni.edut/myremotedir$ /mnt/iso

I know the script I was using stopped working and it
was complaining that the name //intranet/public didn't
start with either // or (as you can see it *does*
start with //).

To see if it would make it happy, I changed
//intranet/public to \intranetpublic and
it had no problem mounting it (the extra
characters being needed to get through shell
escape processing).

Old 12-03-2007, 12:07 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 3, 2007 12:58 AM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
> > mount -t cifs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,user="myusername"
> > //myserver.uni.edut/myremotedir$ /mnt/iso
>
> I know the script I was using stopped working and it
> was complaining that the name //intranet/public didn't
> start with either // or (as you can see it *does*
> start with //).
>
> To see if it would make it happy, I changed
> //intranet/public to \intranetpublic and
> it had no problem mounting it (the extra
> characters being needed to get through shell
> escape processing).

Thanks, Tom. I have just tried

mount -t cifs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,user="myusername"
\myserver.uni.edutmyremotedir$ /mnt/iso

but with no success.

Paul

Old 12-03-2007, 12:11 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 3, 2007 1:07 AM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > mount -t cifs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,user="myusername"
> > > //myserver.uni.edut/myremotedir$ /mnt/iso
> >
> > I know the script I was using stopped working and it
> > was complaining that the name //intranet/public didn't
> > start with either // or (as you can see it *does*
> > start with //).
> >
> > To see if it would make it happy, I changed
> > //intranet/public to \intranetpublic and
> > it had no problem mounting it (the extra
> > characters being needed to get through shell
> > escape processing).
>
> Thanks, Tom. I have just tried
>
> mount -t cifs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,user="myusername"
> \myserver.uni.edutmyremotedir$ /mnt/iso
>
> but with no success.

Should not the following command return other thing

# ls -l /sbin/mount.cifs
ls: cannot access /sbin/mount.cifs: No such file or directory
#

?

Paul

Old 12-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Ed Greshko

Paul Smith wrote:
>>> I know the script I was using stopped working and it
>>> was complaining that the name //intranet/public didn't
>>> start with either // or (as you can see it *does*
>>> start with //).
>>>
>>> To see if it would make it happy, I changed
>>> //intranet/public to \intranetpublic and
>>> it had no problem mounting it (the extra
>>> characters being needed to get through shell
>>> escape processing).
>> Thanks, Tom. I have just tried
>>
>> mount -t cifs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,user="myusername"
>> \myserver.uni.edutmyremotedir$ /mnt/iso
>>
>> but with no success.
>
> Should not the following command return other thing
>
> # ls -l /sbin/mount.cifs
> ls: cannot access /sbin/mount.cifs: No such file or directory

Do you have the samba-client package installed? I believe mount.cifs is
part of it.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:24 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 3, 2007 1:15 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks, Tom. I have just tried
> >>
> >> mount -t cifs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,user="myusername"
> >> \myserver.uni.edutmyremotedir$ /mnt/iso
> >>
> >> but with no success.
> >
> > Should not the following command return other thing
> >
> > # ls -l /sbin/mount.cifs
> > ls: cannot access /sbin/mount.cifs: No such file or directory
>
> Do you have the samba-client package installed? I believe mount.cifs is
> part of it.

I did not have the samba-client package installed. That was the
problem! Thanks a lot, Ed.

Paul