-   -   Gnash question regarding http://www.y8.com/games/Penalty_Fever (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/107441-gnash-question-regarding-http-www-y8-com-games-penalty_fever.html)

Antonio Olivares 06-15-2008 11:35 PM

Gnash question regarding http://www.y8.com/games/Penalty_Fever

Dear all,

I have installed gnash, the opensource choice vs its opposite abobe-flash plugin on an x86_64 machine. While playing Penalty_Fever below

http://www.y8.com/games/Penalty_Fever

The CPU ~ 100%, that is goes all they way up to 99-100%. With the adobe flash player, the cpu on another machine fluctuates between 50-60%. Is there a setting that can be made in gnash, to allow the CPU to behave properly.

[olivares@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa gnash*
gnash-cygnal-0.8.2-2.fc9.x86_64
gnash-0.8.2-2.fc9.x86_64
gnash-plugin-0.8.2-2.fc9.x86_64
gnash-klash-0.8.2-2.fc9.x86_64

CPU speed is fairly decent, and I have 2GB of memory less the shared memory for the integrated video card.

[olivares@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 95
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1600
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 1000.000
cache size : 1024 KB
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good pni cx16 lahf_lm svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips : 2000.85
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

[olivares@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 1930420 kB
MemFree: 116752 kB
Buffers: 178032 kB
Cached: 837344 kB
SwapCached: 28 kB
Active: 986588 kB
Inactive: 536428 kB
SwapTotal: 5951428 kB
SwapFree: 5951276 kB
Dirty: 156 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 507616 kB
Mapped: 74380 kB
Slab: 205712 kB
SReclaimable: 167144 kB
SUnreclaim: 38568 kB
PageTables: 27392 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 6916636 kB
Committed_AS: 1064604 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed: 274244 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359464075 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
HugePages_Rsvd: 0
HugePages_Surp: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB
[olivares@localhost ~]$

Is there some setting that can be modified so CPU behaves normally while playing Penalty_Fever, or just forget about playing it with Gnash?

TIA,

Antonio

Ian Chapman 06-16-2008 05:31 PM

Antonio Olivares wrote:

Is there some setting that can be modified so CPU behaves normally while playing Penalty_Fever, or just forget about playing it with Gnash?

Well as someone who uses Gnash on a PPC laptop because it's really the
only solution it's just simply very CPU intensive compared to Adobe's
flash. I think it's largely in part because Adobe employ some kind of
just-in-time compilation to speed things up.

--
Ian Chapman.

Antonio Olivares 06-16-2008 05:56 PM

Gnash question regarding http://www.y8.com/games/Penalty_Fever

> > Is there some setting that can be modified so CPU
> behaves normally while playing Penalty_Fever, or just
> forget about playing it with Gnash?
>
> Well as someone who uses Gnash on a PPC laptop because
> it's really the
> only solution it's just simply very CPU intensive
> compared to Adobe's
> flash. I think it's largely in part because Adobe
> employ some kind of
> just-in-time compilation to speed things up.
>
> --
> Ian Chapman.

Thank you Ian for taking the time to respond to this question. I have the workaround in my hand, play Penalty_Fever from Slax and not worry about it in Fedora. There is not much that I can do. BTW, sometimes the CPU goes up very high as well with the Adobe flash plugin on much slower machine, but it is workable as the kids liked to play despite the sluggishness of the computer.

Regards,

Antonio