Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Karl Larsen

Default David S Wiener is out of the office.

Peter Gordon wrote:

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 10:56 -0800, Brian Mury wrote:

I doubt it - that's in the future. Different parts of the world have
different conventions for the order of the day and month. 12/06/2007 may
mean 12 June to you, but it means 6 December to the OP.

Why can't we all just follow ISO 8601 (YYYY-MM-DD) and be done with it?
=)

Because it was "not invented here". I have no idea why the USA uses
mounth-day-year but we have done so all my working life. I did see
things from Europe with the year-month-day and was not confused. But it
can be.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 02 December 2007, Peter Gordon wrote:
>On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 10:56 -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
>> I doubt it - that's in the future. Different parts of the world have
>> different conventions for the order of the day and month. 12/06/2007 may
>> mean 12 June to you, but it means 6 December to the OP.
>
>Why can't we all just follow ISO 8601 (YYYY-MM-DD) and be done with it?
>=)

What, and have to rewrite all that cobol?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Ian Chapman

Gene Heskett wrote:

Why can't we all just follow ISO 8601 (YYYY-MM-DD) and be done with it?
=)

What, and have to rewrite all that cobol?

...again! And so soon after Y2K :-)

--
Ian Chapman.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 12:19:07PM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Peter Gordon wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 10:56 -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
>>
>>> I doubt it - that's in the future. Different parts of the world have
>>> different conventions for the order of the day and month. 12/06/2007 may
>>> mean 12 June to you, but it means 6 December to the OP.
>>>

>> Why can't we all just follow ISO 8601 (YYYY-MM-DD) and be done with it?
>> =)
>>
> Because it was "not invented here". I have no idea why the USA uses
> mounth-day-year but we have done so all my working life. I did see things
> from Europe with the year-month-day and was not confused. But it can be.

Which is why I, working for a USA company in the UK, always write my
dates with letters for the month:-

02-Dec-2007

can't be misinterpreted unless you're being really obtuse! :-)

--
Chris Green

Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 02 December 2007, Ian Chapman wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Why can't we all just follow ISO 8601 (YYYY-MM-DD) and be done with it?
>>> =)
>>
>> What, and have to rewrite all that cobol?
>
>...again! And so soon after Y2K :-)

Chuckle... Lets see Ian, only 8 years since that bit of craziness, hell that
was just yesterday wasn't it? 8-)

I'll bet, with a little effort here, we could keep this thread alive for a
couple of days.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Martin Marques

Karl Larsen escribió:

Peter Gordon wrote:

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 10:56 -0800, Brian Mury wrote:

I doubt it - that's in the future. Different parts of the world have
different conventions for the order of the day and month. 12/06/2007 may
mean 12 June to you, but it means 6 December to the OP.

Why can't we all just follow ISO 8601 (YYYY-MM-DD) and be done with it?
=)

Because it was "not invented here". I have no idea why the USA uses
mounth-day-year but we have done so all my working life. I did see
things from Europe with the year-month-day and was not confused. But it
can be.

Maybe because you say "December the third" will in other languages it
"three of December" (in spanish at least).

Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Alan Cox

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:55:04 -0300
Martin Marques <martin@marquesminen.com.ar> wrote:

> Karl Larsen escribió:
> > Peter Gordon wrote:

> >> Why can't we all just follow ISO 8601 (YYYY-MM-DD) and be done with it?
> >> =)
> >>
> > Because it was "not invented here". I have no idea why the USA uses
> > mounth-day-year but we have done so all my working life. I did see
> > things from Europe with the year-month-day and was not confused. But it
> > can be.
>
> Maybe because you say "December the third" will in other languages it
> "three of December" (in spanish at least).

We can't all follow it because we don't all use the same date system and
it has no timezone attached so it can lead to interpretation errors. Its
also using a fixed 4 digit year so breaks in 10000AD but thats a minor
concern.

Alan
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 44th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3173

Old 12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:57 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:55:04 -0300
> Martin Marques <martin@marquesminen.com.ar> wrote:

> > Maybe because you say "December the third" will in other languages it
> > "three of December" (in spanish at least).
>
> We can't all follow it because we don't all use the same date system and
> it has no timezone attached so it can lead to interpretation errors. Its
> also using a fixed 4 digit year so breaks in 10000AD but thats a minor
> concern.
----
Those of us in the 'colonies' understand that like 9 trillion dollars of
debt, we can leave problems for future generations to solve.

Craig

Old 12-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Karl Larsen

Craig White wrote:

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:57 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:55:04 -0300
Martin Marques <martin@marquesminen.com.ar> wrote:

Maybe because you say "December the third" will in other languages it
"three of December" (in spanish at least).

We can't all follow it because we don't all use the same date system and
it has no timezone attached so it can lead to interpretation errors. Its
also using a fixed 4 digit year so breaks in 10000AD but thats a minor
concern.

----
Those of us in the 'colonies' understand that like 9 trillion dollars of
debt, we can leave problems for future generations to solve.

Craig

The problem is GW Bush has no idea what it means. 9 Trillion is
9,000 Billion Dollars. If you add up all Federal Taxes they amount to 1
Trillion a year. He spends 1 Trillion a year in his war. We are going broke!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-02-2007, 11:20 PM
"Andrew Parker"

On Dec 2, 2007 1:56 PM, Brian Mury <brianmury@alumni.uvic.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 19:49 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > He (Davis S Wiener) was supposed to return
> > to the office 12/06/2007. I wonder if he's back.
>
> I doubt it - that's in the future. Different parts of the world have
> different conventions for the order of the day and month. 12/06/2007 may
> mean 12 June to you, but it means 6 December to the OP.

Come to the USA, and you'll find that they don't just use MM-DD-YY.
Some parts of the government use DD-MM-YY.

Perhaps it was the "government" part that explains the anomaly.