Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Rick Bilonick

Default OpenOffice 2.3 - Sun Version - Will It Run Under Fedora 8

I have OpenOffice 2.3 installed under Fedora 8 from the Red Hat rpms.
Will the official Sun version of OOo work under Fedora 8? I know in the
past there have been problems getting the official version to run under
Fedora.

Rick B.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Frank Cox

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/openoffice-fedora/index.html

Old 12-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Joe Smith

Rick Bilonick wrote:

I have OpenOffice 2.3 installed under Fedora 8 from the Red Hat rpms.
Will the official Sun version of OOo work under Fedora 8? I know in the
past there have been problems getting the official version to run under
Fedora.

The only problem I've had with any OO.org release in the last year was
the selinux 'memory exec' denial, and setroubleshoot tells you the exact
command to allow OOo to run.

With F7, I installed the Sun JRE; with F8, the Fedora-packaged icedtea
seems to work just fine.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I am having a problem with the current rc
for 2.3.1: it recognizes, but doesn't seem to work with, the Fedora
icedtea JRE. None of the database functions work.

The stable release of 2.3 and the m_235 snapshot release are fine on my
stock F8/i386 system, except there is no audio or video support.

<Joe

Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 11:56 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:18:49 -0500
> Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net> wrote:
>
> > I have OpenOffice 2.3 installed under Fedora 8 from the Red Hat rpms.
> > Will the official Sun version of OOo work under Fedora 8? I know in the
> > past there have been problems getting the official version to run under
> > Fedora.
>
> http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/openoffice-fedora/index.html

I need to install OOo 2.3.1 under Fedora 6.

I followed the directions (which were easy to follow) and when I ran
soffice:

no suitable windowing system can be found

To fix this selinux problem I executed:

> chcon -t textrel_shlib_t libvclplug_gen680li.so.1.1

in /opt/openoffice.org2.3/program

or you can just execute:

> chcon -t
textrel_shlib_t /opt/openoffice.org2.3/program/libvclplug_gen680li.so.1.1

OOo runs just fine. When I had installed 2.2 on my own, there was a
problem with fonts - the fonts only worked correctly from root.

Rick B.