-   -   F7 to F8 upgrade - Anaconda nightmare (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/10500-f7-f8-upgrade-anaconda-nightmare.html)

Timothy Murphy 12-02-2007 12:32 PM

F7 to F8 upgrade - Anaconda nightmare

I tried upgrading a ThinkPad T43 from Fedora 7 to 8
and met the familiar hanging syndrome.

I followed the recipe
at <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common>,
downloading
<http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/updates-f8-yumloop.img>
and appending "updates" to the kernel command.

The latter seemed to work, since /tmp/updates
contained the updates*.img file
(and all other files in the same directory).

However, I saw no evidence that the updates*.img file
was actually invoked.
In any case, the hanging was not cured.

I wondered how anaconda knows which file to use to update?
Does it use all *.img files?
Is one meant to change the name of the downloaded file?

As far as I can tell, Anaconda upgrade has not worked
for most people - it worked for me on one computer,
but not on a second.
This is not good;
if the developers cannot get anaconda to upgrade reasonably well
they should remove the option.

As a practical matter, I did not see any way
of determining what exactly anaconda was doing
during the eternal "Checking dependencies ...".
If one knew it was stuck checking dependencies on one file
it would be easy to tell that the process had failed.
As it is, there seems to be no way of knowing
except to wait for several hours.

Anaconda: 1 out of 10.

"Paul Smith" 12-02-2007 03:30 PM

On Dec 2, 2007 1:32 PM, Timothy Murphy <tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> I tried upgrading a ThinkPad T43 from Fedora 7 to 8
> and met the familiar hanging syndrome.
>
> I followed the recipe
> at <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common>,
> downloading
> <http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/updates-f8-yumloop.img>
> and appending "updates" to the kernel command.
>
> The latter seemed to work, since /tmp/updates
> contained the updates*.img file
> (and all other files in the same directory).
>
> However, I saw no evidence that the updates*.img file
> was actually invoked.
> In any case, the hanging was not cured.
>
> I wondered how anaconda knows which file to use to update?
> Does it use all *.img files?
> Is one meant to change the name of the downloaded file?
>
> As far as I can tell, Anaconda upgrade has not worked
> for most people - it worked for me on one computer,
> but not on a second.
> This is not good;
> if the developers cannot get anaconda to upgrade reasonably well
> they should remove the option.
>
> As a practical matter, I did not see any way
> of determining what exactly anaconda was doing
> during the eternal "Checking dependencies ...".
> If one knew it was stuck checking dependencies on one file
> it would be easy to tell that the process had failed.
> As it is, there seems to be no way of knowing
> except to wait for several hours.
>
> Anaconda: 1 out of 10.

You may want to consider upgrading your machines with yum. Check:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Maybe, in the future, the yum way will be the recommended method to
upgrade Fedora distributions. (Ubuntu does so already.) For now, it
seems to work well, although they say

"Although upgrades with yum have been tested and work, live upgrades
are not recommended by the Fedora Project".

Paul

Karl Larsen 12-02-2007 03:55 PM

Paul Smith wrote:

[...]

In the past Fedora was easy to update from cd-rom's of the new
version. But around FC6 it became more difficult and I recall the many
complaints about cd-rom/dvd updates to F7.

I'm not smart enough to know why this longer works well. But for my
computer I have many systems loaded from DVD and they all were easy to
do and work fine.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Kam Leo" 12-02-2007 04:53 PM

On Dec 2, 2007 8:30 AM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2007 1:32 PM, Timothy Murphy <tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> > I tried upgrading a ThinkPad T43 from Fedora 7 to 8
> > and met the familiar hanging syndrome.
> >
> > I followed the recipe
> > at <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common>,
> > downloading
> > <http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/updates-f8-yumloop.img>
> > and appending "updates" to the kernel command.
> >
> > The latter seemed to work, since /tmp/updates
> > contained the updates*.img file
> > (and all other files in the same directory).
> >
> > However, I saw no evidence that the updates*.img file
> > was actually invoked.
> > In any case, the hanging was not cured.
> >
> > I wondered how anaconda knows which file to use to update?
> > Does it use all *.img files?
> > Is one meant to change the name of the downloaded file?
> >
> > As far as I can tell, Anaconda upgrade has not worked
> > for most people - it worked for me on one computer,
> > but not on a second.
> > This is not good;
> > if the developers cannot get anaconda to upgrade reasonably well
> > they should remove the option.
> >
> > As a practical matter, I did not see any way
> > of determining what exactly anaconda was doing
> > during the eternal "Checking dependencies ...".
> > If one knew it was stuck checking dependencies on one file
> > it would be easy to tell that the process had failed.
> > As it is, there seems to be no way of knowing
> > except to wait for several hours.
> >
> > Anaconda: 1 out of 10.
>
> You may want to consider upgrading your machines with yum. Check:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
>
> Maybe, in the future, the yum way will be the recommended method to
> upgrade Fedora distributions. (Ubuntu does so already.) For now, it
> seems to work well, although they say

When did Ubuntu switch to yum? I though they were apt and dpkg based.

"Paul Smith" 12-02-2007 04:58 PM

On Dec 2, 2007 5:53 PM, Kam Leo <kam.leo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I tried upgrading a ThinkPad T43 from Fedora 7 to 8
> > > and met the familiar hanging syndrome.
> > >
> > > I followed the recipe
> > > at <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common>,
> > > downloading
> > > <http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/updates-f8-yumloop.img>
> > > and appending "updates" to the kernel command.
> > >
> > > The latter seemed to work, since /tmp/updates
> > > contained the updates*.img file
> > > (and all other files in the same directory).
> > >
> > > However, I saw no evidence that the updates*.img file
> > > was actually invoked.
> > > In any case, the hanging was not cured.
> > >
> > > I wondered how anaconda knows which file to use to update?
> > > Does it use all *.img files?
> > > Is one meant to change the name of the downloaded file?
> > >
> > > As far as I can tell, Anaconda upgrade has not worked
> > > for most people - it worked for me on one computer,
> > > but not on a second.
> > > This is not good;
> > > if the developers cannot get anaconda to upgrade reasonably well
> > > they should remove the option.
> > >
> > > As a practical matter, I did not see any way
> > > of determining what exactly anaconda was doing
> > > during the eternal "Checking dependencies ...".
> > > If one knew it was stuck checking dependencies on one file
> > > it would be easy to tell that the process had failed.
> > > As it is, there seems to be no way of knowing
> > > except to wait for several hours.
> > >
> > > Anaconda: 1 out of 10.
> >
> > You may want to consider upgrading your machines with yum. Check:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
> >
> > Maybe, in the future, the yum way will be the recommended method to
> > upgrade Fedora distributions. (Ubuntu does so already.) For now, it
> > seems to work well, although they say
>
> When did Ubuntu switch to yum? I though they were apt and dpkg based.

Oops! Apt-get, in fact.

Paul