Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Jack

Default Question

I am a tech/computer amateur. For years
I used Ubuntu 9.04, great system, then bought a new Brother Laser
printer, could not get connected to it, turned the computer over to a
repair tech who worked for over 2 hours with no luck. Drivers would
not load.

Tech installed Xubuntu (I had never
heard of it), connected to the printer, gave me back the computer.

Not happy with the screen. Plain blue
background with a mountain of tiny icons that are essentially
unreadable. No idea what they are. Click on one and I get a tiny,
abbreviated title. Have to go thru several to find what I need.

How do I make a more usable user
friendly screen out of this mess???

Thanks

JJ

Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Joshua O'Leary

I used Ubuntu 9.04, great system, then bought a new Brother
Laser
printer, could not get connected to it, turned the computer over
to a
repair tech who worked for over 2 hours with no luck. Drivers
would
not load.

Tech installed Xubuntu (I had never
heard of it), connected to the printer, gave me back the
computer.

Not happy with the screen. Plain blue
background with a mountain of tiny icons that are essentially
unreadable. No idea what they are. Click on one and I get a
tiny,
abbreviated title. Have to go thru several to find what I need.

How do I make a more usable user
friendly screen out of this mess???

Thanks

JJ

Make desktop fonts/icons bigger by right clicking on the desktop,
choosing Desktop Settings, go into the 'Icons' tab and adjust the
size. To change fonts of other things, go into Main
Menu>Settings>Settings Manager>Appearance, and change font
settings under the 'Fonts' tab. The 'Window Manger' settings dialog
in the xfce settings manager can be used to set window title fonts.

Joshua

Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Jack

One more dumb question.
I have several rarely used items on these desktop icons that I would like to put into
one desktop icon/folder to clean up the desktop. I have created a folder but can't get the icons to move into it.

Drag and drop does not work.

Thanks again

JJ

Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM
James Freer

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Jack <arkiedriver@gmail.com> wrote:
> One more dumb question.
> I have several rarely used items on these desktop icons that I would like to
> put into
> one desktop icon/folder to clean up the desktop. I have created a folder but
> can't get the icons to move into it.

Hi
> Drag and drop does not work.
Yes it does... but not perhaps how you're expecting. I'm on Xubuntu
10.04 [just about to upgrade to 12.04 once i've sorted out a whole
load of things].

Try the following:
Right click->Create folder->drag & drop will COPY desktop files into
the new folder
I imagine this is what you haven't noticed. If you go into Thunar
you'll find that it's probably easier to open the Desktop folder there
and Cut & paste... that's what i tend to do. Try that as well.

Welcome to Xubuntu BTW. I started with version 9.** and i have to say
i love it. It does lots of things slightly different to Ubuntu but is
highly configurable and less bloat.
e.g. if you want to change the Capslock and Control keys around. You
can't go to the menu like you can in Ubuntu (think that's right but
it's so long since i looked at Ubuntu!) but you can go to the Panel
and add items, and there's one for keyboard layouts.

Congratulations on seeing "the light" - Enjoy!

james

Old 07-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Ric Moore

On 07/17/2012 07:02 PM, James Freer wrote:

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Jack <arkiedriver@gmail.com> wrote:

One more dumb question.
I have several rarely used items on these desktop icons that I would like to
put into
one desktop icon/folder to clean up the desktop. I have created a folder but
can't get the icons to move into it.
Please use a topic/subject line that represents the question so others
can benefit. Thanx, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Dan 'Da Man'