Old 12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
"Paul Smith"

Default Accented characters are not shown

Dear All,

I am just noticing that the accented characters in filenames do not
appear on console when I run 'dir'. How can I get the accented
characters back?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 12-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 00:07 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> I am just noticing that the accented characters in filenames do not
> appear on console when I run 'dir'. How can I get the accented
> characters back?

Locale settings? Font settings? Character encoding? (You need to use
an encoding scheme that includes the characters you want to use.) You
didn't say what console you're using, nor which version of it or Fedora.

The Gnome terminal has a profiles menu item, and a character encoding
menu item, that lets you set such things.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.