Old 12-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Kevin Kempter

Default cannot connect to digital camera via USB

Hi LIst;

I just bought a new Nikon D300 digital SLR - it uses a 4G compact flash card.
I'm running Fedora 7 & KDE. When I plug it it I get the dialog asking me what
to do, I select 'open in new window' and a new konqueror window opens pointed
to 'system:/media/camera' but no files show up. Then I get a opo-up dialog
that says :

"Could not read file Could not claim the USB device"

dmesg shows this:
bridge-wlan0: enabling the bridge
bridge-wlan0: up
sky2 eth0: enabling interface
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
bridge-eth0: enabling the bridge
bridge-eth0: up
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:14:6c:1a:97:32
wlan0: RX authentication from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32 (alg=0 transaction=2 status=0)
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP 00:14:6c:1a:97:32
wlan0: authentication frame received from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32, but not in
authenticate state - ignored
wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32 (capab=0x421 status=0 aid=1)
wlan0: associated
wlan0: switched to short barker preamble (BSSID=00:14:6c:1a:97:32)
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
usb 5-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel

I'm not sure how to go about debugging this or even what device name I would
use to try a manual mount command. Any thoughts?

Also, would a compact flash reader be a better solution with Linux - my old
camera used SD cards and in general SD readers worked fine with my Linux
machines.

Thanks in advance ...

Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
John Summerfield

Kevin Kempter wrote:

Also, would a compact flash reader be a better solution with Linux - my old
camera used SD cards and in general SD readers worked fine with my Linux
machines.

I've never used one, but others say so. I would expect this to be
especially so if you rotate cards.

I have a Canon 30D.

F8 starts Konqueror, which hasn't a clue.

I start Digikam, which is a bit clunky, but on choosing
Camera/Autodetect, it does find it and downloads stuff etc.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
John Summerfield

John Summerfield wrote:

Kevin Kempter wrote:

Also, would a compact flash reader be a better solution with Linux -
my old camera used SD cards and in general SD readers worked fine with
my Linux machines.

I've never used one, but others say so. I would expect this to be
especially so if you rotate cards.

I have a Canon 30D.

F8 starts Konqueror, which hasn't a clue.

On my test box, which is running F8, I did the above test logged in
locally. I also have an active VNC session for root (I'm playing with
xen, and that's most conveniently done as root), and in that session I
found out the popup was offering konqueror and digikam.

I really thing that this hot=plug stuff shouldn't be showing remote
users any of this, I don't see how someone at the office can plug a
camera into my computer at home even if I allow such VNC sessions (I
don't, but I do it the other way round).

Old 12-02-2007, 12:56 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 1, 2007 1:28 PM, Kevin Kempter <kevin@kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> Hi LIst;
>
> I just bought a new Nikon D300 digital SLR - it uses a 4G compact flash card.
> I'm running Fedora 7 & KDE. When I plug it it I get the dialog asking me what
> to do, I select 'open in new window' and a new konqueror window opens pointed
> to 'system:/media/camera' but no files show up. Then I get a opo-up dialog
> that says :
>
> "Could not read file Could not claim the USB device"
>

> dmesg shows this:
> bridge-wlan0: enabling the bridge
> bridge-wlan0: up
> sky2 eth0: enabling interface
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
> bridge-eth0: enabling the bridge
> bridge-eth0: up
> [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
> wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:14:6c:1a:97:32
> wlan0: RX authentication from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32 (alg=0 transaction=2 status=0)
> wlan0: authenticated
> wlan0: associate with AP 00:14:6c:1a:97:32
> wlan0: authentication frame received from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32, but not in
> authenticate state - ignored
> wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32 (capab=0x421 status=0 aid=1)
> wlan0: associated
> wlan0: switched to short barker preamble (BSSID=00:14:6c:1a:97:32)
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
> wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
> usb 5-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
> usb 5-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
> VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
> VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
> VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
>

> I'm not sure how to go about debugging this or even what device name I would
> use to try a manual mount command. Any thoughts?
>
> Also, would a compact flash reader be a better solution with Linux - my old
> camera used SD cards and in general SD readers worked fine with my Linux
> machines.
>

> Thanks in advance ...

Hi Kevin Kempter!

Wow, a 448 page manual for a camera!!! Cool.

I wish I could afford one of those.

If I were you I think I would:

1. Check and see that the "USB" mode and "mass storage" mode are
indeed selected (p. 225 and 226 of the manual). Probably you have
done this at least twice but you never know. Remember that you need to
cycle the camera (turn it off and then on) after you make the
selection before you can use the mode.

2. Connect directly to the computer, no hub.

3. I note that camera uses special software to down load the pictures.
This may be because they are in "RAW" picture format, which I know
little about.. This may also mean that the memory card is formatted
in a manner which Linux may not know (the Kernel message implies that
the file system is unknown - it is helpful to Google error messages).
A Google search of "Nikon D300 Linux" brought this issue to my
attention along with the mention of one of our more recent Kernels.
If none other respond with direct knowledge I would be sorting out the
issues brought up in Google.

I would appreciate knowing what you do find! I may well want to buy a
camera like yours some day!

Good Hunting!

Tod