Old 12-02-2007, 01:49 AM
"Paul Smith"

Default Installing thunderbird non-English dictionaries on F8

On Dec 2, 2007 2:43 AM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, I did copy it from a F7 installation. Is it relevant?
> >
> > I am just a long time user. It would take someone more skilled than I am
> > at this to explain it.
> >
> > I think it is Antonio that has suggexsted checking file setting and
> > permissions. As I recall just copying can change these.
> >
> > As an experiment. Close TB and do *not* delete the hidden TB folder
> > (.thunderbird) in your home folder but rename something. say
> > dot.thunderbird. Open TB and it will make a completely new one. Then see
> > if the dictionary will install in that one. That would tell you *if*
> > permissions changed, are different, from your original one and the new
> > one. I would write these new ones down and match them to the old one.
> > Might work. Won't hurt.
>
> Thanks, David. Tried that, but with no success. However,
>
> # dir -l /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.dic
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 668187 2003-02-13 15:01
> /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.dic
> # dir -l /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.aff
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5687 2003-02-13 15:01
> /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.aff
> #
>
> According to
>
> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/dictionaries.html
>
> «Alternatively, OpenOffice.org also uses dictionary files compatible
> with Thunderbird. To install the OpenOffice.org dictionaries, copy the
> *.dic and *.aff files from the zip file to the components/myspell
> directory of your Thunderbird installation.»
>
> That is really strange!

Success now, with the method 'Installing by drag-and-drop' at:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries_(Thunderbird)

Thanks for everything, David!

Paul

Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 AM
David Boles

Paul Smith wrote:
>>> I am just a long time user. It would take someone more skilled than I am
>>> at this to explain it.
>>>
>>> I think it is Antonio that has suggexsted checking file setting and
>>> permissions. As I recall just copying can change these.
>>>
>>> As an experiment. Close TB and do *not* delete the hidden TB folder
>>> (.thunderbird) in your home folder but rename something. say
>>> dot.thunderbird. Open TB and it will make a completely new one. Then see
>>> if the dictionary will install in that one. That would tell you *if*
>>> permissions changed, are different, from your original one and the new
>>> one. I would write these new ones down and match them to the old one.
>>> Might work. Won't hurt.
>> Thanks, David. Tried that, but with no success. However,
>>
>> # dir -l /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.dic
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 668187 2003-02-13 15:01
>> /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.dic
>> # dir -l /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.aff
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5687 2003-02-13 15:01
>> /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.aff
>> #
>>
>> According to
>>
>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/dictionaries.html
>>
>> «Alternatively, OpenOffice.org also uses dictionary files compatible
>> with Thunderbird. To install the OpenOffice.org dictionaries, copy the
>> *.dic and *.aff files from the zip file to the components/myspell
>> directory of your Thunderbird installation.»
>>
>> That is really strange!
>
> Success now, with the method 'Installing by drag-and-drop' at:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries_(Thunderbird)
>
> Thanks for everything, David!

Darn!! :-) That was going to be my next suggestion.

My pleasure. You did the work.
- --

David