Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM
David Boles

Default Installing thunderbird non-English dictionaries on F8

Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 1, 2007 11:20 PM, David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Another question. Did you restart TB after installing the dictionary as
> > it told you to do?
> >
> > I just installed additional dictionary and it works just fine.
> >

> - --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> >>

> > Did you change permissions on dictionary files???
>
> Why? Didn't have to do that. I just followed the directions and there it
> was.

The reported problem occurs even when I try to install the dictionary as root.

Paul

Old 12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 1, 2007 11:28 PM, David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Another question. Did you restart TB after installing the dictionary as
> >> it told you to do?
> >>
> >> I just installed additional dictionary and it works just fine.
> >
> > I have strictly followed all your suggestions. It says that it
> > installed the dictionary, but afterwards the dictionary does not
> > appear in the dictionaries list (in Thunderbird).
>

> Okay you followed *my* directions. Did you follow, exactly, the
> direction on the Mozilla webpage?
>
> Download the dictionary?
>
> - From within TB addons install the dictionary?
>
> Restart TB?
>
> If you go back to the 'add dictionaries', as in the beginning, you can
> select the new one or you can do it from the Compose window. Tools >
> Options > Composition > Spelling > Language > select from drop down menu
> list.

Did that and no success. Are you using F8? It worked on F7, but not on F8.

Paul

Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Antonio

2007/12/2, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com>:

> > > Another question. Did you restart TB after installing the dictionary as
> > > it told you to do?
> > >
> > > I just installed additional dictionary and it works just fine.
> > >

> > - --
> > fedora-list mailing list
> > fedora-list@redhat.com
> > >>

> > > Did you change permissions on dictionary files???
> >
> > Why? Didn't have to do that. I just followed the directions and there it
> > was.
>
> The reported problem occurs even when I try to install the dictionary as root.
>
> Paul

Please check the permissions of English dictionaries and the
additional dictionaries.
You will be surprised but they are different: if you (as root) change
permissions of additional dictionaries, everything goes fine....
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
David Boles

Paul Smith wrote:

>>> Another question. Did you restart TB after installing the dictionary as
>>> it told you to do?
>>>
>>> I just installed additional dictionary and it works just fine.
>>>
>> - --
>> fedora-list mailing list
>> fedora-list@redhat.com
>>> Did you change permissions on dictionary files???
>> Why? Didn't have to do that. I just followed the directions and there it
>> was.
>
> The reported problem occurs even when I try to install the dictionary as root.

First: You should have been you (user) in TB when you started.

Second: When the browser opened again it should have been you (user) in
the browser.

Third: When you followed the instruction on the webpage and saved the
dictionary it should have been to a place the you (user) has access.

Fourth: When you (user) installed it is available only after you close
and then reopen TB.

Fifth: More that one user on you system? Each user needs to install each
dictionary because it is not system wide. It is a per user that
installed it only.

If you installed it when 'root' it belongs to 'root' alone' As you
(user)? You (user) alone.

There is no secret trick or magic involved.
- --

David

Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 PM
David Boles

Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 2, 2007 12:35 AM, David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm... you didn't copy any of this from another install did you?

Yes, I did copy it from a F7 installation. Is it relevant?

Paul

Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 2, 2007 1:10 AM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmmm... you didn't copy any of this from another install did you?
>
> Yes, I did copy it from a F7 installation. Is it relevant?

Let me be precise: I have only copied the .thunderbird directory.

Paul

Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 AM
David Boles

Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 2, 2007 2:09 AM, David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 2007 12:35 AM, David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hmmm... you didn't copy any of this from another install did you?
> >
> > Yes, I did copy it from a F7 installation. Is it relevant?
>
> I am just a long time user. It would take someone more skilled than I am
> at this to explain it.
>
> I think it is Antonio that has suggexsted checking file setting and
> permissions. As I recall just copying can change these.
>
> As an experiment. Close TB and do *not* delete the hidden TB folder
> (.thunderbird) in your home folder but rename something. say
> dot.thunderbird. Open TB and it will make a completely new one. Then see
> if the dictionary will install in that one. That would tell you *if*
> permissions changed, are different, from your original one and the new
> one. I would write these new ones down and match them to the old one.
> Might work. Won't hurt.

Thanks, David. Tried that, but with no success. However,

# dir -l /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.dic
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 668187 2003-02-13 15:01
/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.dic
# dir -l /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.aff
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5687 2003-02-13 15:01
/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.aff
#

According to

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/dictionaries.html

«Alternatively, OpenOffice.org also uses dictionary files compatible
with Thunderbird. To install the OpenOffice.org dictionaries, copy the
*.dic and *.aff files from the zip file to the components/myspell
directory of your Thunderbird installation.»

That is really strange!

Paul