Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Clodoaldo

Default Install F8 from a mounted pen drive

I want to install F8. I can't burn a CD.

I have a FC6 rescue CD from which I can boot. I tried to install
booting from the FC6 rescue CD and then from a HTTP mirror but the
installation stops with a message that says something like "the
install media version is different from the version you want to
install".

I have already installed from a pen drive a number of times but this
machine can't boot from the pen drive.

Booting from the FC6 rescue CD I can mount the pen drive which has the
diskboot.img file wrote with dd as I already did sometimes. Is it
possible to continue from here, with the mounted pen drive?

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

Old 12-01-2007, 08:16 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Clodoaldo wrote:
> I want to install F8. I can't burn a CD.
>
> I have a FC6 rescue CD from which I can boot. I tried to install
> booting from the FC6 rescue CD and then from a HTTP mirror but the
> installation stops with a message that says something like "the
> install media version is different from the version you want to
> install".

That is understandable. The CD and the URL need to be from the same
version.

> I have already installed from a pen drive a number of times but this
> machine can't boot from the pen drive.
>
> Booting from the FC6 rescue CD I can mount the pen drive which has the
> diskboot.img file wrote with dd as I already did sometimes. Is it
> possible to continue from here, with the mounted pen drive?

You might be better off burning the boot.iso from the DVD image and
proceeding from there. The problem is that mounting the pen drive
does not give you the proper kernel, or access to the compressed
file system on the pen drive. It may be possible to get a boot
loader on CD that will let you boot from the pen drive. I have never
needed it, so I have not researched it.

Mikkel

Old 12-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Clodoaldo

2007/12/1, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> Clodoaldo wrote:
> > I want to install F8. I can't burn a CD.
> >
> > I have a FC6 rescue CD from which I can boot. I tried to install
> > booting from the FC6 rescue CD and then from a HTTP mirror but the
> > installation stops with a message that says something like "the
> > install media version is different from the version you want to
> > install".
> >
> That is understandable. The CD and the URL need to be from the same
> version.
>
> > I have already installed from a pen drive a number of times but this
> > machine can't boot from the pen drive.
> >
> > Booting from the FC6 rescue CD I can mount the pen drive which has the
> > diskboot.img file wrote with dd as I already did sometimes. Is it
> > possible to continue from here, with the mounted pen drive?
> >
> You might be better off burning the boot.iso from the DVD image and
> proceeding from there.

I can't burn it. My CD burner is broken and right now I don't have
access to another one.

I have tried to boot the pen drive kernel using grub but there is a
problem. This is what i did:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda1
initrd /initrd
error 28:selected item cannot fit into memory.

How to avoid this error?

I have read somewhere that it is not possible to do it when grub is
running under a kernel. If it is true then how to get to grub without

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

Old 12-09-2007, 02:14 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

I am sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. I forgot
about it.

Clodoaldo wrote:

> I can't burn it. My CD burner is broken and right now I don't have
> access to another one.
>
> I have tried to boot the pen drive kernel using grub but there is a
> problem. This is what i did:
>
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda1
> initrd /initrd
> error 28:selected item cannot fit into memory.
>
> How to avoid this error?
>
> I have read somewhere that it is not possible to do it when grub is
> running under a kernel. If it is true then how to get to grub without

You can get the grub prompt when booting from the CD, but it is not
going to be able to read the information on the USB drive if the
BIOS does not provide access. There will also be a problem that the
stage 1.5 on the CD not for the file system on the USB drive. But if
the BIOS can see the drive, you can chainload to the boot sector on
it. Because Grub uses the BIOS to read the drive, the BIOS needs to
be able to access the drive. Because the BIOS can not boot from a
USB drive, it probably does not provide any access to it. So you
need drivers loaded first. While there may be a BIOS extension that
will let you do this, you still have the problem of not being able
to burn a CD right now, so it will probably not help. (You might
find one that fits on a floppy image, if you have a floppy.) What
you may be able to do is create a small FAT partition on the hard
drive, and use Syslinux to boot the kernel and initrd that is
currently on the USB drive.

Mikkel