Old 12-01-2007, 04:22 PM
mike simpson (mikieboy)

Default /proc/acpi problem 2.6.23

Hi all
just to state that building a 2.6.24-0.57.rc3.git4.local.fc8 kernel from the rawhide source rpm has cured the problem. The battery has been recognised and /proc/acpi/ has been populated with all the required information to allow thermal monitoring.
Hope this is of use to anyone else with the same problem.

mike

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=224171&topic_id=47985&forum= 10#forumpost224171
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame mikie.simpson@gmail.com.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 01/12/2007, mike simpson (mikieboy) <no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org> wrote:
> Hi all
> just to state that building a 2.6.24-0.57.rc3.git4.local.fc8 kernel from the rawhide source rpm has cured the problem. The battery has been recognised and /proc/acpi/ has been populated with all the required information to allow thermal monitoring.
> Hope this is of use to anyone else with the same problem.
>
> mike

It would be a real help if you filed a bug (at
http://bugzilla.redhat.com) against the kernel packages that you saw
the problem with originally including details of your hardware (lspci
-vv) etc.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM
mike simpson (mikieboy)

Hi there

done
bugzilla id no.407751

mike

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=224364&topic_id=47985&forum= 10#forumpost224364
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame mikie.simpson@gmail.com.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Ron Yorston

mike simpson (mikieboy) <no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org> wrote:
>done
>bugzilla id no.407751

Thanks for raising the bug report, Mike.

I had what appears to be the same problem with a fresh installation of
FC8 on a Dell Latitude L400 yesterday. The battery and thermal_zone
directories in /proc/acpi exist but don't contain any useful
information: they claim that there is no battery and that the CPU
temperature is always 50C.

During the big post-install 'yum update' the system shut down
unexpectedly, possibly due to overheating. I'd say this was reason
enough to increase the severity of the bug.

Ron

Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 AM
mike simpson (mikieboy)

Hi Ron
When i replaced the motherboard of my L400 it became a Inspiron 2100! so same board with a different DMI string.

The same thing also happened with a toshiba laptop with a different chipset so i don't think the bug is specific to this make/model.

Things i tried without success
1)modprobing battery and power_supply made no difference
2)rebuilding 2.6.23 kernel with a custom dsdt made no difference
3)rebuilding 2.6.23 with the ACPI modules built in made no difference
4)rebuilding the 2.6.23 kernel with deprecated /proc/acpi/ made no difference

Just the act of rebuilding a kernel is enough for the laptop to overheat, even sitting on top of a fan belonging to another box!

Ended up upgrading a nice, big, fast dell server to fc8 and compiling the 2.6.24 kernel from rawhide on it (--target=i686) and changing all the 64bit=y &c then installing it on the lappie which made it all better.

Never had to compile a kernel before, necessity being the mother of invention and that.

I have updated the bugzilla report severity to high.

/me hoping that the released version of 2.6.24 doesn't break things again

mike

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=224601&topic_id=47985&forum= 10#forumpost224601
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame mikie.simpson@gmail.com.