Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM
"Paul Lauria"

Default setroubleshootd high memory usage

Hi,

¬*

I have been tracking an issue with regard to setroubleshootd
for a month or so now, and am trying to work out why memory usage is so high.

I have followed this issue that was also discussed: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2007-September/msg00000.html

¬*

Top:

¬*PID USER¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* PR¬*
NI¬* VIRT¬* RES¬* SHR S %CPU %MEM¬*¬*¬* TIME+¬*
COMMAND

¬*2253 root¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬*15¬*¬*
0¬* 585m 472m 3304 S¬*¬*¬* 0 46.7¬*¬* 3:55.34
setroubleshootd

¬*

I use Webmin and this shows the following as ‚ÄėRunning
Processes’ :

¬*

2253 root 600020 kB /usr/bin/python -E
/usr/sbin/setroubleshootd

¬*

Obviously this is extremely high memory usage for a process
(I only have 1 GB of RAM installed!)

¬*

WC:

wc /var/lib/setroubleshoot/audit_listener_database.xml

1313352¬* 4320305 66032275
/var/lib/setroubleshoot/audit_listener_database.xml

¬*

I have run audit2allow and pretty much cleared up the AVC
denials that were appearing, but I am still receiving one or two from ClamAV

¬*

SELAERT:

sealert -a /var/log/audit/audit.log

100% done

found 2 alerts in /var/log/audit/audit.log

¬*

First Alert:

¬*¬*¬* SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/clamdscan
(clamscan_t) "write" access to

¬*¬*¬* /var/webmin/sessiondb.pag (var_t).

¬*

Second Alert:

¬*¬*¬* SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/clamdscan
(clamscan_t) "connectto" access to

¬*¬*¬* /tmp/clamd.socket (initrc_t).

¬*

¬*

Thanks for any assistance,

¬*

Regards,

¬*

Paul

¬*

--

Paul
Lauria

¬*

Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 PM
John Dennis

Paul Lauria wrote:

Hi,

I have been tracking an issue with regard to setroubleshootd for a month
or so now, and am trying to work out why memory usage is so high.

Please supply the setroubleshoot version. There have been many fixes
over the last year, I wonder if you're using an old version.

--
John Dennis <jdennis@redhat.com>

Old 05-21-2008, 12:41 PM
"Paul Lauria"

setroubleshoot version: 1.8.11-4

--
Paul Lauria

Old 05-21-2008, 02:10 PM
John Dennis

Paul Lauria wrote:

setroubleshoot version: 1.8.11-4

You didn't say what OS you were running on, but I suggest you upgrade to the newer 2.x version.
--
John Dennis <jdennis@redhat.com>

Old 05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
"Paul Lauria"

Its EL5.

Where can I get the newer 2.x version?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM
John Dennis

Paul Lauria wrote:

Its EL5.

Where can I get the newer 2.x version?

For RHEL 5 you'll find it in the 5.2 update, which was recently released.

--
John Dennis <jdennis@redhat.com>